A Clear Nav, A 1-26, and an Eta

Old May 19th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default A Clear Nav, A 1-26, and an Eta

Jokes aside, the answer is obvious: The higher performance ship needs
more sophisticated instruments to max out it's performance. For
example on final glide in a 1-26 you can eye ball how far you can
glide, on an ETA you'll need a moving map flight computer to get an
idea how far you can glide, how many mountain ranges you'll be able to
cross etc, giving MC setting, wind, bugs etc...

Ramy

Bruce wrote:
On 2010/05/18 03:33 PM, John Cochrane wrote:
On May 17, 8:14 pm, wrote:
So lets say you suddenly came into possession of all 3. The Clear Nav
seems to be about the niftiest of all the nifty flight displays out
there. The 1-26 is currently winning the OLC in the USA, and the Eta
is the hottest of the Open Class. You intend to fly both gliders to
their cross country potential. But the Clear Nav can only go in one
ship, which do you choose?

If you can afford an Eta, you can afford 2 clearnavs!
John Cochrane

But you have to admit - one clearnav + 2 RAM mounts is more economical.

Old May 21st 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:51:57 -0700, Tony wrote:

very funny guys.

the reason im wondering is that i have to decide what im going to do
when i win the Clear Nav that the US Team is raffling. At first I
thought I'll just put it in the Cherokee.

I've a bit more performance that you (Std Libelle) but still low enough
to require caution under the UK's lower cloudbases and weaker thermals,
but when I bought it I immediately replaced its original PZL mechanical
vario and Cambridge Mk4 + speed director with a Borgelt B.40 and an SDI
C4 respectively and would never go back. The B.40 gives an excellent fast
response and has a built-on 9v backup battery while the C4 does
everything I need in the way of averaging, trend reporting, speed
director and L/D calculation. Both have audio output which IMO is a major
safety aid. I normally fly with the B.40 sound off.

Last year I replaced my GPS II+ with a Binatone B350 running XCSoar -
again a great improvement thanks to its airspace display, though this
isn't so important unless you have as much restricted airspace around the
field as we do.

My guess is that fitting a simple audio vario such as a Tasmin V1000 or a
Borgelt B.40 would be a worthwhile exercise.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK