A bit breezy today...

Old January 30th 14, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default A bit breezy today...

From Weather Underground:

Strong to very strong winds are currently impacting the higher terrain of
the central mountains extending from the Sangre de Cristos southward to the
northern Sacramento Mountains (we're directly in the middle of that) as well
as the east slopes. These strong winds will gradually progress away from the
central mountains through late morning and impact the High Plains (that's
where we are). Wind speeds will generally range between 30 to 40 mph with
gusts to 60 mph through 11 am. There will be localized areas to the Lee of
the central mountains that will experience very strong and damaging mountain
wave winds with gusts as high as 80 mph. Raton Airport has experienced wind
gusts as high as 83 mph around 6 am. The wind direction will primarily be
westerly so high profile vehicles traveling along north to south orientated
highways will be impacted most.
High Wind Warning in effect until 7 PM MST Friday...

Looks like a great wave forecast if only we could get our gliders safely to
the launch point!

Old January 30th 14, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 1/30/2014 9:08 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
From Weather Underground:

[...]

Hadda make a vehicular O&R from Hillrose (CO) to Laramie (WY) yesterday; went
via I-80's ~9k' pass between Cheyenne & Laramie. The two primary computerized
messages on the interstate signs we 1) Expect high winds; high profile,
lightweight vehicles prohibited; and 2) Expect wind gusts of 65+ mph. The
precautions were for both E-W I-80 and N-S I-25. I doubt we experienced more
than 40 mph gusts. Approaching Cheyenne from the east, the rotors had that
shredded look so uninviting to semi-experienced wave pilots!

Bob W.

Old January 31st 14, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Only did one tow. Entered rotor just off the departure end at about 1,000'
AGL. Winds on landing were about 20 deg right at 27 G 32 kts. Taxiing was
the hardest part...

"Bob Whelan" wrote in message
From Weather Underground:

Old January 31st 14, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:57:49 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Only did one tow. Entered rotor just off the departure end at about 1,000'
AGL. Winds on landing were about 20 deg right at 27 G 32 kts. Taxiing was
the hardest part...

My take away: Should I live long enough, I will eventually be tempted to launch when I know that I had better not.

Old January 31st 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:37:16 AM UTC-7, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 1/30/2014 9:08 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:

From Weather Underground:

[...]

I-25 north of Wellington has been closed since last evening. About 5" of heavyish snow. I shoveled away about 4 inches at 11pm last night to make today's chore easier.

Frank W
Old January 31st 14, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My buddy in Buena Vista woke up to 18 inches of snow this morning. We could
sure use some snow in NM.

snip from son_of_flubber

My take away: Should I live long enough, I will eventually be tempted to
launch when I know that I had better not.

....And why, Dear Flub, should you better not? As long as the pilots are
proficient and the controls are not hitting the stops, the takeoff and
landing are safe. In the past 90 days, I've made 146 takeoffs and landings
in various tail draggers (mostly the Ag Wagon) and the DPE (and owner) was
administering the BFR.

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:37:16 AM UTC-7, Bob Whelan wrote:

From Weather Underground:

Old January 31st 14, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Son_of_flubber, you do realize that when the wind is really strong, the problem of a crosswind no longer exists?

Cuz now you can land ACROSS the runway!

BTDT, and seen it done many times. It's amazing how small a place you can put a glider into when the wind is around 40 knots!

And, seriously, it's fun.

Its a good skill to have in your hip pocket for when you get back to the field the same time as a strong gust front. The next time the wind is strong (for takeoff, it helps if it's somewhat aligned with the runway), go out and fly and find out what kind of pattern is needed when your groundspeed on final is in the teens.

Kirk
66
Old January 31st 14, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, January 31, 2014 1:29:06 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:

snip from son_of_flubber

My take away: Should I live long enough, I will eventually be tempted to
launch when I know that I had better not.

Says Dan:
...And why, Dear Flub, should you better not?

I was thinking that someday there will be a tow pilot that will be willing to aerotow me when the margins for me launching (and landing) in a glider are thin to adverse. The commercial tow pilots that aerotow me have much greater ability (and a 250 hp engine). I honestly don't know, is it harder or easier to land a Pawnee or a glider in gusty conditions? I assume that the Pawnee could at least "go around" (plus the tow pilot has a lot more experience.)

When I read your account, I put myself in the shoes of the glider pilot that decided to launch with your one and only tow of the day. One of the hardest things for me is to go home without flying because of marginal conditions. It's hard because other people are launching and landing, and it is especially hard when there is tremendous lift after a "dry spell".

I guess I'm saying that it is tempting for me to follow the lead of the tow pilot and other glider pilots, and so my take away is that I need to be aware of that temptation and peer pressure. I almost feel like I should write on (and read from) the top of my checklist "I will be tempted to launch when I should just go home."

Old January 31st 14, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, January 31, 2014 5:53:38 PM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
Son_of_flubber, you do realize that when the wind is really strong, the problem of a crosswind no longer exists?

Cuz now you can land ACROSS the runway!

BTDT, and seen it done many times. It's amazing how small a place you can put a glider into when the wind is around 40 knots!

And, seriously, it's fun.

Its a good skill to have in your hip pocket for when you get back to the field the same time as a strong gust front. The next time the wind is strong (for takeoff, it helps if it's somewhat aligned with the runway), go out and fly and find out what kind of pattern is needed when your groundspeed on final is in the teens.

Kirk

66

Kirk,

I appreciate your comment and it is food for thought (the wind just happens to be gusting to 40 knots outside at the moment, though the glider is snowed in.) I really should be prepared for a gusty crosswind coming up between launch and land some time because I fly at a narrow single strip airport in wave season (when the wind tends to be crosswind to start).

I have launched and landed in strong headwind, moderate crosswind and rotor that called for 75 knots IAS. So far it has been fun. Landing perpendicular to the runway is not quite the same and may not be possible at my home airport. I will discuss this option with the local experts. I might do better landing into the wind at a nearby hayfield.

There are some extraordinary pilots in gliders and I need to realize my limitations and be careful to not think "well if he did it, so can I". The range of abilities and risk tolerance is very large.

Old January 31st 14, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

I generally operate with a "rule of three".....If there are three "strikes," I do not launch....Assuming there is not one very serious "strike" (like a very strong crosswind) with two "strikes" or less, I will generally take a launch.

So, for example, the first strike might be a "borderline" crosswind. The second strike might be that I feel tired and perhaps I did not sleep well the previous night. The third strike might be that the lift is not predicted to be very good....

If there are "three strikes" I generally will not launch...I may make an exception, but that is very rare.....If it turns out that it was a good day, that's fine that I missed it, but at least I will be able to fly on another day....and perhaps by not launching I may have avoided an accident. That accident might have damaged the ship and caused me to lose many weeks, or even an entire season of flying, while it is being repaired.

We all have to have our own set of rules and not let peer pressure cause us to take a launch when we really should NOT...

As Clint Eastwood once said:

"A man's got to know his limitations."