GPS Flight Recorder Comparison page

Old November 9th 04, 04:59 AM
Paul Remde

Default GPS Flight Recorder Comparison page

Hi,

I've just completed the first shot at my GPS Flight Recorder Comparison
page. I could use help with suggestions for the comparison table. I want
it to be fair and complete. I'm sure there are a few products missing that
I should add. I'm sure there are also additional features I should compare.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/loggers.htm

I sincerely try to add value with my web site. If you find my product
comparisons valuable, please buy from me.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old November 9th 04, 10:11 AM
stephanevdv

Interesting comparison.

However, about Volkslogger:

When flight log memory is full the unit stops logging rather than
wrapping around and erasing the oldest flights - not ideal.

I'm not so sure about the "not ideal".

First, you get warnings every few minutes if and when there is "only" 8
hours memory left (this can get on your nerves). This should be more
than sufficient for most flights. And it is possible to change the
logging interval in flight once the warnings begin.

Second, in a contest, if your memory gets full, it's better to have the
beginning of the flight remaining in the memory: you still might get
points up to the moment the memory is full; with the wrap around
system, your whole flight will be invalidated by having the take-off
and start deleted. Of course, this is only true if we are talking about
a single flight in the recorder. Unlikely to happen if you use a
sensible logging interval.

An important feature of Volkslogger is that you can easily use a 10
second or so interval, the logger will automatically change its
interval to 1 second for start line, finish line and turnpoint sector
passage. I don't know if all the other loggers do the same. Perhaps you
could include this in your comparison?

--
stephanevdv
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old November 9th 04, 12:52 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I do want the web site to be fair and
complete.

I suppose the "not idea" comment is "not ideal". I can understand that some
pilots would prefer the functionality of the very popular Volkslogger. I'll
try to clarify the differences on the web site.

You mention below that the Volkslogger can have 2 different sampling rates.
That is correct. Every logger I'm aware of can do that also.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"stephanevdv" wrote in
message ...

Old November 9th 04, 12:52 PM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article L8Yjd.74748$R05.69052@attbi_s53, Paul Remde
writes
Hi,

I've just completed the first shot at my GPS Flight Recorder Comparison
page. I could use help with suggestions for the comparison table. I want
it to be fair and complete. I'm sure there are a few products missing that
I should add. I'm sure there are also additional features I should compare.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/loggers.htm

I sincerely try to add value with my web site. If you find my product
comparisons valuable, please buy from me.

Paul,

The level of approval for the LX20 is dependent on the FW/HW Version,
see approval document at:
http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/filserlx20.pdf

I notice that Peschges and Print-Technik are omitted, this may be fair
enough as they are no longer in production (AFAIK), but EW is also
omitted and these are still available, as is the Zander 941 (not sure
about the Model 940.

The SDI Posigraph is functionally the same as the Colibri and so
deserves a mention.

For a complete list of approved recorders, have a look at:
http://www.fai.org:81/gliding/gnss/igc_approved_frs.pdf

Tim Newport-Peace

"If we told what we know of one another
there would not be four friends in the world."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662).
Old November 9th 04, 01:32 PM
Michael McNulty

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just completed the first shot at my GPS Flight Recorder Comparison
page. I could use help with suggestions for the comparison table. I want
it to be fair and complete. I'm sure there are a few products missing
that
I should add. I'm sure there are also additional features I should
compare.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/loggers.htm

I sincerely try to add value with my web site. If you find my product
comparisons valuable, please buy from me.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

The value given for the Colibri logger's memory capacity is incorrect.

The Filser web site give 104 hours at 12 sec intervals, or 34.7 hours at
your 4 sec interval. I know that some sources also quote the 50 hours at 12
sec, but I believe that the Filser value is vaalid. To be certain, I've
just checked my Colibri and it currently contains over 32 hours of data, all
recorded at a 4 second interval.

Old November 9th 04, 01:50 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Paul,

Would your website gain any benefit by having a site
where users/owners of the various gps devices could
comment on their experiences with them?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old November 9th 04, 02:27 PM
Paul Remde

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the information. I'll update the site soon.

Is the SDI Posigraph currently in production?

Thanks,

Paul Remde

Old November 9th 04, 02:31 PM
Paul Remde

Hi Ray,

I'd be glad to add user quotes to the page.

Paul Remde

Old November 9th 04, 02:31 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I'll have to try that with a Colibri in my stock. I'm going off data I
received somewhere in the past.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 9th 04, 08:53 PM
Bela

Paul,
if I did not happen to own a Cambridge 302 / 304 combo your chart
would make me think that I don't have moving map, navigation,
airspace, etc. functions.
Bela