soaring with Osama

Old August 11th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default soaring with Osama

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Earlier, Rory O'Conor wrote:
See http://www.aii-co.com/en/ava101.asp

The table on that page does show the specs for the AVA101. But the
table that Ole is asking about is this one that compares the AVA101
with a couple of LAK products and the PW6:

http://www.aii-co.com/en/images/AVA.101.jpg

The column and row headers are in english, as are the units, but all
the numbers are in some other characters; perhaps some sort of Arabic?
(Yes, I know that Iranians consider themselves ethnically and
culturally separate from the Arab cultures in the area).

Bob K

Here's a table with the Arabic-Indic numerals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...umerals-en.svg

That should allow straightforward translation.

Johan Larson

Old August 11th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

st4s03 wrote:
Who? What? scaythed?

Brad wrote:
Let's see if Sean Hannity would be interested in a ride. Maybe we could
talk him into taking a sky dive too..........fill his chute with
hanging chads and take bets on if his divinity will allow him to touch
down un-scaythed.

Brad

Surely he meant "unscathed"
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/unscathed

Johan Larson

Old August 11th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SAM 303a

Our local examiner was quized about a Saudi guy who took training at our
field. Those I've discussed it with all thought it was bizarre and an
example of profiling.

So yes, I do know all about this plot. Let's "raise the level of chatter"
in one of those internet place--you know the secret ones we terrorists use.
See you there.

The turkey buzzard isn't centered in the lift.
Relight. Relight. Relight.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Here's a quote from Slate Magazine (http://www.slate.com/id/2147499/):

Syria had hundreds of files on al-Qaida, including dossiers on those
who had participated-or wanted to participate-in the 9/11 attacks.
Syrian spies had penetrated al-Qaida cells throughout the Middle East,
and Syrian President Bashar Assad was passing on loads of data to the
CIA and the FBI. Some of these tips apparently foiled al-Qaida plots,
including a plan to fly an explosives-laden glider into the U.S. Navy's
5th Fleet headquarters.

Anyone know anything about this?

Johan Larson

Old August 11th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
st4s03

I know. I think he was making an attempt to comment on some obscure TV
guy in an attempt to raise the dreaded "conservative v liberal" debate.
He needs to fly more and watch TV less.

wrote:
st4s03 wrote:
Who? What? scaythed?

Old August 11th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad

Hey guys, thanks for the quick spelling lesson.................guess I
should realize that spelling is more important than content these
days..............of course, if I spelled unscathed as un-scaythed
several more times it could become the proper way to spell it, eh?

Brad
(living in the country that believes if a lie is repeated enough, it
becomes truthiness)

wrote:
st4s03 wrote:
Who? What? scaythed?

Old August 11th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad

Hello Mr st4s03,

Is 175 hours this season, mostly XC in the Cascades so far this season
enough airtime? Or do you require more before a post is deemed
significant by you?

Brad

I know. I think he was making an attempt to comment on some obscure TV
guy in an attempt to raise the dreaded "conservative v liberal" debate.
He needs to fly more and watch TV less.

wrote:
st4s03 wrote:
Who? What? scaythed?

Old August 11th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad

pre-emtive strike on my own improper use of grammar..........

Brad
(who wishes he could be out flying instead of making UAV parts......but
if they get used to blow up terrorists it will be ok)

Brad wrote:
Hello Mr st4s03,

Is 175 hours this season, mostly XC in the Cascades so far this season
enough airtime? Or do you require more before a post is deemed
significant by you?

Brad

I know. I think he was making an attempt to comment on some obscure TV
guy in an attempt to raise the dreaded "conservative v liberal" debate.
He needs to fly more and watch TV less.

wrote:
st4s03 wrote:
Who? What? scaythed?

Old August 11th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
st4s03

Obviously it is not enough to help you separate pseudo-intellectual
quips from anything of real soaring content and of any value the list.
We have all been through this before.

Brad wrote:
Hello Mr st4s03,

Is 175 hours this season, mostly XC in the Cascades so far this season
enough airtime? Or do you require more before a post is deemed
significant by you?

Brad

I know. I think he was making an attempt to comment on some obscure TV
guy in an attempt to raise the dreaded "conservative v liberal" debate.
He needs to fly more and watch TV less.

wrote:
st4s03 wrote:
Who? What? scaythed?

Old August 12th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kestrel254

Rory O'Conor wrote:
I think that the chances of a glider being used for terrorist activity
are very remote. Far more remote than a light aircraft.
It probably would take most people 3-5 years to be capable of flying any
reasonnable distance cross-country etc etc.

However the Aviation Industries of Iran information looks interesting,
as it suggests active two seater gliding in Iran.
This might be a possible area for opportunities for cross-cultural
gliding exchanges. If those going to Iran had the blessing and
protection
of the Iranian authorities then it would be a wonderful opportunity to
fly in probably a superb gliding area.

Maybe Competition Enterprise ??

Rory

Newsgroup: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: soaring with Osama
Author:
Date/Time: 01:40 11 August 2006
Could somebody please translate the performance comparison table found
about halfway down this page?

http://www.aii-co.com/en/marketing.asp

(direct link to the table http://www.aii-co.com/en/images/AVA.101.jpg)

Ole

Rory
I wish I could agree with you but a glider with ballast tanks could
hold an awful lot of liquid explosive and that was the lastest kind
that was suspected in the latest sitiuation over the Atlantic.
BFN
George