lCambridge 302 Security Fail

Old December 8th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default lCambridge 302 Security Fail

On Dec 8, 12:16*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
There are different symptoms and probably different causes.

I didn't have a bad seal indication. The seal was good, the security
was bad, next log had good security. I only realized the next log
had good security after I sent it back to be fixed. Hence the
conclusion that sending it back was a waste of money.

Andy

Old December 8th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 8, 2:26*pm, Andy wrote:
On Dec 8, 12:16*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

There are different symptoms and probably different causes.

I didn't have a bad seal indication. *The seal was good, the security
was bad, next log had good security. * I only realized the next log
had good security after I sent it back to be fixed. *Hence the
conclusion that sending it back was a waste of money.

Andy

I wonder if all units are vulnerable? Mine has several hundred hours
on it, memory was full when I bought it (Spring 08) and I've
subsequently put 80 odd flight hours on it with no failures. Sometime
this Fall I had the thought to go back and check every single log in
the recorder to see if there were any failures that I might have
missed (20 minute sled ride, aero-retrieve, etc.) and there are none.
So it does appear possible, at least occasionally, to completely fill
the 302 memory without inducing the security failure.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old December 8th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 8, 11:48*am, wrote:
On Dec 8, 2:26*pm, Andy wrote:

[...]

The problem is isolated and clearly many C302 can wrap log memory
(many times) with no problems, soem other 302s may never get to wrap
they log memory if they have slow log rates, don't fly much and/or are
are calibrated periodically (when log mmory will be cleared). All this
assumes that the folk law on wrapping the log memory is correct.
Maybe it's certain units that are more problematic, maybe it's related
to some pseudo random things like what memory address things happen to
start or end at and so maybe we are all playing Russian roulette. I
hope Cambridge have a handle on this now with the FLASH memory chip
change. Like I said I've stopped clearing memory and am running at 1Hz
log rate and will see.

So while irritating for us who experience this, it is nice to get such
quick turn around from the US based factory on service stuff.

Darryl
Old December 9th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As the originator of this thread, today I did not get "Security Fail "
after my flight. Jeff, the main man at CAI stated this morning that
subsequential flights with S Fail problems most likely means a battery
issue. In review, I believe my problem yesterday may have been being
to quick to transfer flight info. after aircraft came to a stop. I
hope, anyway. This was the first burp on a unit with over 900 hours on
it. Lets see what happens tomorrow.
Old December 9th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 8, 6:23*pm, " wrote:
In review, I believe my problem yesterday may have been being
to quick to transfer flight info. after aircraft came to a stop.

That's interesting. Did Cambridge suggest there was some minimum time
that should elapse between landing and download?

Andy
Old December 9th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry it took so long to get back. I thought I read in the manual to
allow a few minutes after stopping for the unit to settle and log "on
ground". I waited only seconds after stopping to transfer before
climbing out of the cockpit. I'm not sure if there is a connection
with my S Fail indication. Looking at the above postings proves to me
I'm out on the fringe of understanding any of this.
Old December 10th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 9, 4:20*pm, Tim Newport-Peace ] wrote:

I am wondering if this problem is due to trying to download while still
recording.

Me too. I would be a **** poor design if the utility was allowed to
access the log file before it been properly closed but it wouldn't
surprise me. I suppose a useful test would be to try a download while
still in motion.

Something to try on a winter local flight perhaps.

Andy
Old December 11th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 9, 4:20*pm, Tim Newport-Peace ] wrote:

I am wondering if this problem is due to trying to download while still
recording

My 302A CFR has been giving me a security fail notice in the Cambidge
Utility progamme after every download for at least 2 seasons. Often I
have downloaded the flight log when de-rigging long after landing so
in my case at least I am sure that downloading while still recording
is not the cause of the problem.

I have cleared the memory on 2 separate occasions and that made no
difference either.

John Galloway
Old December 11th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Hooked up to a PDA or PC with a terminal program. typ VER return.

The 302A will give a text message, concluding (if there is a bad
electronic seal) with 'Security Fail'.

If so, in UK send it to me at RD Aviation or Dickie Feakes where it can be
resealed (after checking the memory battery voltage and replacing if
necessary).

Pete Purdie

Old December 12th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 11, 3:45*pm, Peter Purdie wrote:
Hooked up to a PDA or PC with a terminal program. typ VER return.

The 302A will give a text message, concluding (if there is a bad
electronic seal) with 'Security Fail'.

If so, in UK send it to me at RD Aviation or Dickie Feakes where it can be
resealed (after checking the memory battery voltage and replacing if
necessary).

The security fail report does not indicate that the seal is bad.
Please assist Cambridge with fixing the design problem rather than
using it to solicit business!

Andy