headsets

Old October 9th 04, 03:25 AM

Default headsets

I am a student pilot, and am about to buy a headset. I am thinking about
probably getting a David Clark, they seem to be pretty good quality,
however, i don't want to spend more on my headset than on my training.
Anyone have any suggestions as to good brands that are not outrageoulsy
expensive. Thanks

Old October 9th 04, 03:45 AM
Teacherjh

I am a student pilot, and am about to buy a headset.

I would buy an inexpensive headset that has decent passive attenuation. Your
FBO probably rents headsets at something like $5 a day. Buying one of them
outright (new) would be about $100. Just do that and take your training. By
the time you have your license, you'll have a better idea of what you want, and
then buy that. Keep the old one for your passenger.

Jose

Old October 9th 04, 03:54 AM
Chris Ehlbeck

I've seen and heard the reply enough that it must be true and I won't argue
it.

Purely from my own personal experience though.....
I fly with a passive Flightcom 5DX and love it. I haven't had the
headclamping problems some have mentioned about it. My wife does not want
me to replace her Telex Echelon 100 set, but she did let me put the gel ear
seals on it. The Telex does come with the "cam" system for easy adjustments
of tension for varying head sizes. The Telex set also folds in on itself
for easy and compact storage.

A year and a half ago I got the Flightcoms for $169 and they're still around
that. The Telex set is under $150 at most online pilot shops.
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PPASEL
"It's a license to learn, have fun and buy really expensive hamburgers."

Old October 9th 04, 04:18 AM
Aviv Hod

I am a student pilot, and am about to buy a headset. I am thinking about
probably getting a David Clark, they seem to be pretty good quality,
however, i don't want to spend more on my headset than on my training.
Anyone have any suggestions as to good brands that are not outrageoulsy
expensive. Thanks

Hi there,
Welcome to flying - hope you stick around for a while :-) If you
are committed to learning to fly, then I see no reason to go for a stop
gap headset. I find flying with passive headsets to be infinitely more
fatiguing, and downright uncomfortable compared to my ANR headset. It's
easy to trivialize in the store, because the headsets don't seem all
that different in a quiet environment for a short period of time. The
quality and comfort of a headset can only be measured after getting a
good workout flying for several hours a day.

My advice is to bite the bullet and get at least an entry level ANR
headset. I have had very good luck with my Pilot Avionics PA17-71T's,
and it cost $317 dollars. Given what equivalent and lesser headsets go
for, I still feel like I got a bargain.

You can read what I wrote about it a while ago he
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R24B21C79
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=av...att.net&rnum=1

Different people will have different experiences with headsets based on
how well a particular model will fit their head. This is the biggest
variable. Having said that, most people understand why "David Clamps"
have been derided as such... I feel bad for my passengers when they use
my old H10-13.4's for longer than an hour at a time. They have a
reputation for being very reliable, but their clamping force (necessary
for effective passive noise attenuation) spawn pounding headaches. YMMV

Good luck!

-Aviv Hod

Old October 9th 04, 02:59 PM
john smith

It may be 60's era technology, but it's also 60's era quality, something
completely lacking in today's "build it as cheap as you can, charge as
much as you can" business world.
Given the low quality of LightSpeeds, the same high price arguement can
be made. You are paying too much for junk.
In 25 years, I have sent my DC's back only one time. That was for
refurbishing the plugs when they were 20 years old. Try that with your
LightSpeeds!

Thomas Borchert wrote:
,

I am thinking about
probably getting a David Clark, they seem to be pretty good quality,

With DC, you'll be buying 60s technology. Both ergonomics and
technology (think ANR) have advanced tremendously since then. DCs are
not called David Clamps for nothing. Also, they are simply too
expensive for what they offer. In my view, DC is not recommended.

The two key factors in a headset a

- wearing comfort
- good ANR

It just doesn't make sense to go without ANR these days. Buy a real
headset from the start. The entry level ANR from Lightspeed is what,
300? You're lucky to get a passive DC for that.

In my opinion, Lightspeed deliveres best on those two at an excellent
price.