Anyone else got "The Cold"?

Old January 4th 05, 06:36 PM
john smith

Got it a two-weeks before Christmas. Lots of head congestion, scratchy
throat is the initial symptom. Took antihistimine for three days (days
3-5) at night before bed so I could breath while I slept. That knocked
it down. Completely gone by day eight.

Old January 4th 05, 06:51 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:41:22 -0600, "Jim Fisher"
wrote in
::

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
3. Don't swallow phlegm; blow and expectorate

I've always know this but hardly ever heed it. Why, exactly, is this
necessary?

This is a personal theory. Everyone knows, that colds are spread by
airborne droplets. If the object is to rid the body of virus instead
of retaining it, than it only makes sense.

Old January 4th 05, 07:43 PM

Jay,
I hope that you would feel better soon. Mary is right in insisting
that you see a doctor. A nasty cold or flu can weaken your immune
system making you susceptible to pneumonia. I learned it the hard way
about this time last year.. I had been in perfect health with nary a
cold, flu or taking a sick day in over ten years. Ironically, I took
the flu shot last year and ended up getting a terrible flu (wrong flu
vaccine type) for over a week. I then picked up a really bad pneumonia
which took me off work for several weeks. Had always thought that
pneumonia only struck old and weak people. Here I was, in perfect
health, doing everything right (belong to a rowing club, go to the gym
everyday, eating only the right foods, taking vitamins etc.) and yet I
was nearby killed by those little antibiotic-resistant bugs. It took
me several months to regain my strength. So be extra careful and get
plenty of rest even after your recovery.
Hai

Old January 4th 05, 08:01 PM
NW_PILOT

Sounds like the bug I had June of 2003 ago, go to the doc and get some chest
photos see what's up it can get really bad to ware you can be coughing up
blood then will lead to spasms and a collapsed lung, The doc will prescribe
you something to ease the pain & if it's bacterial infection not viral an
antibiotic will be prescribed. "I prefer zithromax a Pfizer product it is
expensive 8 times more than standard penicillin but is only used for about
6-10 days instead of 20-30 days".

But go to your doc and get it checked out ASAP.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Man, I got this bug a week ago, and I've never seen anything like it. I
lost my voice 6 days ago (The kids are loving it. Mary *was* loving it,
until she discovered that she had to answer all of my phone calls!), with

no
sign of it returning.

I've slept in my LazyBoy the last six nights, cuz my lungs fill up every

90
minutes or so when I lay down, sending me into coughing fits that keep

Mary
up all night.

Flying has been completely out of the question.

At Mary's insistence, I'm actually going to see a doctor today. (Who, no
doubt, will tell me to drink lots of fluids, take aspirin, get lots of
sleep, and charge me a hundred bucks...) According to friends in our
school district, this bug has been knocking people down in droves around
here for the last month.

Anyone else infected, or is this an Iowa thing?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 4th 05, 08:04 PM
Blueskies

[...]

I have it, just getting over it, been going on for days (5?) and I was pretty much staying the same. Finally went to the
doctor yesterday and he prescribed Doxycycline Hyclate (antibiotic?) which is knocking it down quite well. I haven't
been sick like this ever as far as I can remember. Lotsa liquids, salt water gargle, sleep and eating and am feeling
better today....
--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..

Old January 4th 05, 08:05 PM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
This is a personal theory. Everyone knows, that colds are spread by
airborne droplets. If the object is to rid the body of virus instead
of retaining it, than it only makes sense.

Sneezing, coughing, etc. is not the body's attempt to "rid itself of the
virus". They are a reaction to the irritation caused by the body killing
virus and virus-infected cells. Live virus does get expelled, of course,
but it's not through that process that the body actually defeats the virus.

Furthermore, viruses are specialized in the cells that they infect. A
respiratory virus isn't going to get anywhere in the GI tract, except out
the other end (and probably dead by then, though it's hard to say...some
viruses are pretty resilient).

As for your other points, mostly valid except that I'd suggest that aspirin
is a fine pain reliever too. It's not just for fevers (though, we don't use
aspirin in our household at all...acetaminophen and ibuprofen are our pain
relievers of choice, using the former when fever is also involved). There's
not much evidence that salt water gargles or huge doses of vitamins actually
help, but they won't hurt either (and the salt water may well soothe your
symptoms).

Rest, lots of fluids, and proper nutrition are still the gold standard for
basic cold virus recovery.

Pete

Old January 4th 05, 08:13 PM
Jim Fisher

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

This is a personal theory. Everyone knows, that colds are spread by
airborne droplets. If the object is to rid the body of virus instead
of retaining it, than it only makes sense.

Well, I usually spit it into a hanky and chase my boy with it. Don't know
if that's good for the boy but it always makes me feel batter.

--
Jim Fisher

Old January 4th 05, 08:27 PM
Dan Engleman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Man, I got this bug a week ago, and I've never seen anything like it. I
lost my voice 6 days ago (The kids are loving it. Mary *was* loving it,
until she discovered that she had to answer all of my phone calls!), with
no sign of it returning.

The bug is alive and well in Sherman, TX.

I'm just now getting over it after about 4 weeks. The first couple of weeks
I didn't feel terrible, just was mostly mute.
Then the hacking cough came which reminded me of many years ago when I
smoked 3 packs a day (been clean for about 14 years now).

Now just a little coughing.

Nyquill worked best for me to rest at night.

Dan

Old January 4th 05, 09:18 PM
Jay Honeck

Yeah, and I spend three days in the hospital because of it! I let it go
too long and didn't observe my physician's Three-Day Rule.

Dang. What's the "three day rule"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 4th 05, 09:21 PM
Jay Honeck

Crap. There goes my flyin plans for this weekend. We were looking for a
place to fly to and thought we'd head to Iowa for a visit.

Well, the weekend is a long ways off.

Heck, I might even be able to make more than a raspy, wheezing squeak by
then...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck