ASW automatic tail hookup mod?

Old February 28th 15, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW automatic tail hookup mod?

Has anyone with an ASW-19 or other ASW ship modified the elevator for an automatic connection?

Schleicher TN-19 provides instructions for the automatic elevator connection but the instructions are not very detailed. The ASW-24 has the automatic elevator hookup of what looks to be the same design as what Schleicher calls out in their instructions.

If you have done the automatic elevator hook up modification I'm curious to how easy it was and what did you use as a reference? Any more details would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick
Old February 28th 15, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Has anyone with an ASW-19 or other ASW ship modified the elevator for an automatic connection?

Schleicher TN-19 provides instructions for the automatic elevator connection but the instructions are not very detailed. The ASW-24 has the automatic elevator hookup of what looks to be the same design as what Schleicher calls out in their instructions.

If you have done the automatic elevator hook up modification I'm curious to how easy it was and what did you use as a reference? Any more details would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick

Off the top of my head, it's sorta involved.
Not sure if you need to modify the horizontal tail, but the trailing edge of the elevator needs to be changed (actually, the whole elevator) and a part of it needs to be mounted to the horizontal tail.
There would also be control connection changes.

I know a few here that are MUCH better versed in what is needed. I usually just do finish polish, sometimes they let me near sandpaper..... LOL....
Old February 28th 15, 09:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Saturday, 28 February 2015 03:20:00 UTC+2, wrote:
Has anyone with an ASW-19 or other ASW ship modified the elevator for an automatic connection?

Schleicher TN-19 provides instructions for the automatic elevator connection but the instructions are not very detailed. The ASW-24 has the automatic elevator hookup of what looks to be the same design as what Schleicher calls out in their instructions.

If you have done the automatic elevator hook up modification I'm curious to how easy it was and what did you use as a reference? Any more details would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick

I have a habit of walking to check elevator connection right after I put on my parachute at grid right before getting into cockpit. When you do it dozen times, it becomes habit. Parachute on - walk to check tail (takes 15 seconds). This of course after normal daily and preflight checks.
Old February 28th 15, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

I second what Charlie said, the mod is very involved (read expensive) , you need a foolproof method that works for you. When I had a 20, I used a red flag hooked to a 1" plastic tube that I shoved over the elevator push-rod. The flag read, "7 pins connected". As I hooked up the last one (elevator) I removed the flag and put it on the elevator rack in the trailer. When the ship was disassembled next, the flag was there, hanging from the trailer rack, to remind me to take it back to the elevator pushrod. This worked for me, the flag migrated back and forth, always a reminder to hook everything up AND cock the system for the next assembly or disassembly. Figure out a system that will work for you and follow it religiously.
JJ
Old February 28th 15, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Has anyone with an ASW-19 or other ASW ship modified the elevator for an automatic connection?

Schleicher TN-19 provides instructions for the automatic elevator connection but the instructions are not very detailed. The ASW-24 has the automatic elevator hookup of what looks to be the same design as what Schleicher calls out in their instructions.

If you have done the automatic elevator hook up modification I'm curious to how easy it was and what did you use as a reference? Any more details would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick

I would expect that the conversion kit for this, which should include elevators, elevator drive assembly, and probably a new push rod assembly, would include the required instructions for installation and documentation.
Have you ordered the kit?
UH
Old March 1st 15, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stu

I owned an ASW-20A for 25 years. Now have a 27. I was very careful in checking the hookups (like JJ). You will want to add to your list to check the tail bolt - yes, I flew all afternoon in mountain turbulence with the tail bolt in my pocket!! That 3M white tape holds very well!

I also know of a modification that can be done to the top of the tail so that the elevator push rod will still push the elevator up, even if the hookup is not connected. Not sure this would help unless the CG was 60%+. I never did this mod and decided it was best to double check the hookups.

Stu. 2Z
Old March 1st 15, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 10:29:06 PM UTC-6, Stu wrote:
I owned an ASW-20A for 25 years. Now have a 27. I was very careful in checking the hookups (like JJ). You will want to add to your list to check the tail bolt - yes, I flew all afternoon in mountain turbulence with the tail bolt in my pocket!! That 3M white tape holds very well!

I also know of a modification that can be done to the top of the tail so that the elevator push rod will still push the elevator up, even if the hookup is not connected. Not sure this would help unless the CG was 60%+. I never did this mod and decided it was best to double check the hookups.

Stu. 2Z

Stu,
That story of the elevator bolt in your pocket made my skin crawl. Can't believe you got away with that. 3M wingtape is the best, though.
Old March 2nd 15, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 5:36:08 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 10:29:06 PM UTC-6, Stu wrote:
I owned an ASW-20A for 25 years. Now have a 27. I was very careful in checking the hookups (like JJ). You will want to add to your list to check the tail bolt - yes, I flew all afternoon in mountain turbulence with the tail bolt in my pocket!! That 3M white tape holds very well!

I also know of a modification that can be done to the top of the tail so that the elevator push rod will still push the elevator up, even if the hookup is not connected. Not sure this would help unless the CG was 60%+. I never did this mod and decided it was best to double check the hookups.

Stu. 2Z

Stu,
That story of the elevator bolt in your pocket made my skin crawl. Can't believe you got away with that. 3M wingtape is the best, though.

Remember- the bolt is "just" a safety. The forces are taken up by pins and sockets in the joint itself. And yes... the safety bolt has its own safety wire/spring :-)
Uri
4XGGG
Old March 2nd 15, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 6:49:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Not correct. The bolt holds the leading edge down. I know of a couple cases where the bolt was forgotten and tape held tail on, but it is more than a bit scary. No bolt- no tape- the tail is very likely to come off, especially on a bumpy field. There is no excuse for forgotten bolt of elevator connection. That is why we push the critical assembly check so hard.
UH
Old March 2nd 15, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le lundi 2 mars 2015 15:13:11 UTC+1, a écrit*:
[...]

Depends on your CofG. With a forward CofG, the tailplane will produce a downward force throughout the flight envelope (and the bolt is just for security). With a center to rear CofG and a decently designed glider, the tailplane will produce a downward force at speeds higher than speed for best L/D, zero force at best L/D and lift at lower speeds (and then you'd better have the bolt in place...).
Still, my face would turn green if I'd find the bolt during flight in the cockpit... On my Ventus, the red mounting knob stays on the fin as long as the tailplane is not locked in place for the very same reason.

TW