The worlds fist glider flight not by Lilienthal !!!

Old March 7th 15, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The worlds fist glider flight not by Lilienthal !!!

On Thursday, June 1, 2000 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Jan Lustrup wrote:
Did you know that the worlds first flight was not by Otto Lilienthal!

It happened in 1825 at Narvestad,Lund in Norway.
The constructor and pilot was a norwegain named Hans Andreas Berentsen.
The glider flight covered several hundred meters.
He built it with stealwire and clouth used for sailboats.
His glider was kept in a farmbarn-loft until 1936 when it was sadly
destroyed along with the rest of the farm.
It is said that the butterflies inspired him to build the airplane.

It is unknown what the glid ratio / min.sink was.
There is a large infomation sign at Lund that tells more in detail about
the flight.

This all happened 66 years before Otto Lilienthal's first flight!!!!!

Not bad for the old Viking

Greetings from "The land of the midnight sun",

Jan Lustrup "
Kvernfallveien 12
4340 Bryne
Norway

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4op7zrh7ws..._2841.JPG?dl=0
Old March 7th 15, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 11:50:40 -0800, eivindfn wrote:

[...]

It seems that several people succeeded in flying gliders around the same
time in the mid-1800s.

George Cayley built a man-carrying glider that flew across Brompton Dale
in front of Wydale Hall in 1853. This was in Yorkshire. It had a wheeled
undercarriage but there's very little other information about the flight.
However, the drawings of the glider were preserved and at least two
replicas have flown across Brompton Dale since then, flown by Derek
Piggott (twice, 1973, mid 1980s) and Richard Branson (once, 2003), so its
evidently somewhat controllable in the air or I don't think Derek would
have flown it twice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cayley

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 8th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 11:23:13 AM UTC+13, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

I have somewhere on VHS a gliding promo video once sold by our club (and I assume by John Roake) that has footage of Derek Piggott flying the Cayley replica in 1973.

This footage doesn't seem to have made its way onto the web.

However, I just found this 1962 footage of Derek flying a man-powered aircraft. I didn't know he was involved with something like that!

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/manpowered-plane

In 1994 when I was on vacation in the USA I wandered one day onto an airfield at Maricopa, AZ hoping for a glider flight. As I walked from my rental car to the nearest building a geezer walked past me the other way and said a rather plummy "Good afternoon". Something went off in my slow Kiwi brain and I turned and said "er ... Mister Piggott?" "Yes?"

It was somewhat late in the day, but I arranged to go flying with him the next day. We did a short maybe 150 km triangle in a Grob twin, scarcely turning after the initial climb.

I had with me an original Cambridge Model 10 GPSNAV that Dave Ellis had been kind enough to give me after I helped him with a few things at KiwiGlide a few months previously. Derek hadn't seen one before, and amused himself playing with it in the back seat. I'd marked the field as a waypoint before takeoff and we used the GPSNAV to find our way back to it. We arrived back at speed at about 6000 or 7000 ft overhead. When the GPSNAV said we were there I did a chandelle and sure enough, there the field was directly below. (obviously it was impossible to see it for the last few miles).