Reno Air Races

Old September 14th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Reno Air Races

Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
season, we just can't get away right now.

Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 14th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Biplane crashed on take off.. pilot lost.. reported in today's paper..
engine smoke at about 100ft and a mayday call made
Hate to see that happen. Best to the family.

BT

ups.com...

Old September 14th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Jay Honeck wrote:
Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
season, we just can't get away right now.

Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

It's a bad year out there.. I just got around to checking belated voice
mails and my good friend was out there and saw one of the jets auger in.
There's a handful of L-39's on my field here, but I dont think any of
them race/pace (anymore).

2 fatals in 3 days.

I hope this is the end of the bad news.

Dave
Old September 14th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 14, 12:59 pm, Dave S wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
season, we just can't get away right now.

Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

It's a bad year out there.. I just got around to checking belated voice
mails and my good friend was out there and saw one of the jets auger in.
There's a handful of L-39's on my field here, but I dont think any of
them race/pace (anymore).

2 fatals in 3 days.

I hope this is the end of the bad news.

Dave

Unfortunately not... Gary Hubler of Caldwell Idaho died when his
Formula 1 was involved in a collision today:
http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....d3350b54.html

Hubler field is a private airport just north of the Caldwell airport.
He has been a big figure in Idaho aviation in recent years. I saw him
testing his racer at the Caldwell airport earlier this summer.

Bummer...

Dean

Old September 14th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
quietguy

My local TV news just reported that the pilot killed in the L-39 crash
was Brad Morehouse from Wyoming. I haven't found any complete reports
on the races, just daily puff-pieces on the organizers' website,
www.airrace.org . There's been nothing on that site so far about the
fatal crashes and I don't expect anything from them.

Old September 15th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Here is a summary of all three fatalities.

Click he http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6896893

It's a rough game.

Lots of condolences to the families.

Big John

**************************************

Old September 15th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
comanche driver

this is the first year in 28 years that I am sitting out, and it is an
abnormality, Gary was the 18th death in 44 years. there has not been a
death in 4 or 5 years.

it seems this is just a bad year for air shows in general.

lets just hope that it is the last for a very long time......

my condolences to the friends and families of those that we have lost.

bob burns
ex-tow3 race 44 crew

Old September 15th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Click hehttp://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6896893

Thanks for the link, Big John.

The jet crash is intriguing. The article speculates that he got
caught in wake turbulence that caused the crash? Holy "Top Gun", I
thought that was a Hollywood contrivance.

Anyone know if flying "through someone's jet wash" (as Goose put it)
could bring down an L-39?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 15th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Flying an Electra on approach to Miami following just a little B-727,
I suddenly found myself in a 60 degree bank. Fortunately, skill, daring
and 600' of altitude saved the day, and my ass.

Yeah, I had a similar experience flying behind a C-130 into
Albuquerque. It got my attention.

An L-39 ain't a prop plane, however. It's a sleek, dart-like design
with stubby wings that would seem to offer little aerodynamic traction
for that kind of turbulence.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Reno Air Races! [email protected] Home Built 0 September 12th 06 09:32 AM
Getting to the Reno Air Races G. Sylvester Piloting 2 August 9th 05 03:50 PM
Reno Air Races Ron Owning 0 March 11th 04 08:39 PM
Reno Air Races Ron Aviation Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 08:38 PM
Reno Air Races Ron Piloting 0 March 11th 04 07:50 PM