OK, it's really simple. Clear your mind and listen closely.

Old May 3rd 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OK, it's really simple. Clear your mind and listen closely.

"Motorgliders" are airplanes. Got it??

Rick Lake
Old May 3rd 13, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

At least I was trying to be a little delicate about it. ;^) But this is what I was trying to say. They are not gliders, in the true sense.

Boggs
Old May 3rd 13, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 3, 2013 10:25:44 AM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
At least I was trying to be a little delicate about it. ;^) But this is what I was trying to say. They are not gliders, in the true sense.

Boggs

The motorglider category goes all the way up to Mr. Branson's fast toys, Spaceships 1 and 2. I wouldn't mind being in that company...
Seeing things black and white only is narrow minded, there are lots of good reasons for some pilots to have an engine on board. Many of them are more than capable of beating the snot out of the engines-are-from-the-devil crowd.
Herb
Old May 3rd 13, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I agree with Herb. I think that the future of soaring as a viable
sport will involve hybrid solutions that blur a lot of the lines that
we draw now. For example, consider a ground launch to about 1000 feet
and then powered cruise on an 18 kw electric sustainer until the first
thermal is encountered. Is that a motorglider?

Thanks, Bob K.

Old May 3rd 13, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, May 3, 2013 9:25:52 AM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I agree with Herb. I think that the future of soaring as a viable

sport will involve hybrid solutions that blur a lot of the lines that

we draw now. For example, consider a ground launch to about 1000 feet

and then powered cruise on an 18 kw electric sustainer until the first

thermal is encountered. Is that a motorglider?

But isn't the whole argument about racing/competition? I have no doubt that having a sustainer would change the way I fly XC. So would having a heavy self-launcher. The question is whether it is fair to lump these together and score the same way in a contest environment.

Personally, when I win the lottery I'm getting a jet sustainer. And If I lived somewhere with no-one to help with a ground launch, I would consider a self launcher. But I do enjoy the simplicity of not having any motor. It's all part of the wonderful spectrum of soaring!

Kirk
66
Old May 3rd 13, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, May 3, 2013 10:17:26 AM UTC-5, wrote:
"Motorgliders" are airplanes. Got it?? Rick Lake

I am glad you don't work for the FAA, Rick. Motorgliders are NOT airplanes. They are aircraft. Got it??
Old May 3rd 13, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On May 3, 11:13*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:

But isn't the whole argument about racing/competition?

Is it? If that is the case, then this thread has become detached from
its intended context.

The question is whether it is fair to lump these together and
score the same way in a contest environment.

Yes, good point. But I think that that is part of a larger
conversation about what constitutes a contest.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old May 3rd 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wow Steve, with that kind of profound insight
I'm guessing you do work for the FAA.
Old May 3rd 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 3, 2013 11:17:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
"Motorgliders" are airplanes. Got it?? Rick Lake

In a sport as small as we are there isn't much room for telling others
that "they are not one of us".
Mind clear and open.
UH

A few Q's that have been on my mind lately. buttman Piloting 28 December 20th 07 03:54 PM
Mind Scrambler LouiseLane Piloting 0 March 11th 05 11:35 PM
Mind Scrambler LouiseLane Piloting 0 March 11th 05 11:35 PM
Three more newbie Qs, if you don't mind :) Ramapriya Piloting 17 November 7th 04 05:03 AM
never mind JasonSJbird Simulators 11 August 2nd 03 10:49 PM