NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 5th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On 4 Sep 2006 06:35:19 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in . com:

In our hotel, our employee dress code is relatively liberal -- but it's
strictly adhered to.

Was acceptance of your dress code a condition of employment at the
time your employees were hired?

Doesn't matter, job requirements can change, within the limits of the law,
at any time.

Old September 5th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Stefan" wrote in message
Bob Noel schrieb:

Who cares what they wear? How about expecting the FAA "leaders" spend
effort and time on things that matter? Controllers have very little
interaction
with "customers" expect via land-line or radio. Does the controller's
attire
matter even a little?

And even *if* they had interaction with the public: Who cares how they are
dressed? If they wish to work in a bathsuit and their hair coloured green
and blue, so be it, as long as they are doing their job well.

The only thing that is ridiculous in that story is that people are not
free to dress as they wish. So much for the land of the free.

It is the land of the free. If you don't like the rules you are free to
seek employment elsewhere and might even be offered the opportunity to do so
full time.

Stefan

Old September 5th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On 4 Sep 2006 06:49:48 -0700, "
wrote in . com:

It is the land of the FREE,

If they don't like the work rules in their place of employment they are
FREE to find a job elsewhere...............

And if the terms of their employment are changed _after_ they are
hired, they are free to resist a new policy imposed upon them without
their prior agreement.

Nonsense. Employers can change job requirements at any time.

Old September 5th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

I am with Jay on this one, Years ago unions were a good thing to keep
miners from getting killed in the workplace. Now the unions motive is
to perpetuate their existance by working up supposable smart humans
over something that should be a No brainer. If I remember right the
adverage salary for a ATC worker this year was 72,500, with some raking
in 171,300. For that pay they shouldn't even contest not being able to
wear flip flops to work. What other profession can dress like that and
earn that kind of cash, well other then Jimmy Buffet.????

Have you ever seen a controller dressed like that?

I have and it was at a safety meeting. People left the meeting laughing at
him and his unprofessional demeanor. He earned and received no credability.

Old September 5th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, none said:
This is ridiculous that a union is opposed to casual attire (slack &
collard shirts). I did not read suits.

It's ridiculous that an employer thinks they can arbitrarily change the
terms of employment without consulting the employees.

FLASH, FLASH, FLASH....employers have that right. The work place is not a
democracy.

Sounds like NATCA needs to be Reaganed.

It sounds like this country needs to remember that employees aren't
slaves.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason to invent,

Old September 5th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

When I take a CAP squadron or Boy Scout Troop on a tower tour, I expect
the controllers to look professional -- period. What does it say when
we require the kids to be in uniform, but the controllers are wearing
flip-flops and cut-off shorts?

In what tower did you see controllers wearing flip-flops and cut-off
shorts?

I've been in three towers, two TRACONs and a Center, and I've never seen
controllers wearing flip-flops or cut-off shorts. Jeans and T-shirts, yes.

The FAA is out to make a point with this about who's got the power, IMO.
It's got nothing to do with encouraging professionalism among controllers.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 5th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

I have and it was at a safety meeting. People left the meeting laughing
at him and his unprofessional demeanor. He earned and received no
credability.

Nor should he. But controllers dressed like that were clearly the exception
and the problem could have been remedied simply by banning cut-offs and
flip-flops. What the impose instead can only have a negative effect.

Old September 5th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

I've been in three towers, two TRACONs and a Center, and I've never seen
controllers wearing flip-flops or cut-off shorts. Jeans and T-shirts,
yes.

I've been an FPL controller in an ARTCC and a tower/TRACON and have visited
probably a dozen other ATC facilities and never seen a controller dressed
like that.

Old September 5th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
I have and it was at a safety meeting. People left the meeting laughing
at him and his unprofessional demeanor. He earned and received no
credability.

Nor should he. But controllers dressed like that were clearly the exception
and the problem could have been remedied simply by banning cut-offs and
flip-flops. What the impose instead can only have a negative effect.

But why is the union making such a big deal about it? To tell employees
that a supervisor making a comment about dress constitutes a "meeting",
well...that's why I'm glad we don't have unions at my particular part of
the company.
Old September 5th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

Emily.. he must be gay

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...