First Long Cross-Country as a Pilot -- Any tips?

Old May 23rd 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JDK

Default First Long Cross-Country as a Pilot -- Any tips?

Alright, first long cross-country coming up for me as a pilot.
Traveling up to see family for Memorial Day weekend (and hoping the
weather holds out on Friday).

Of note, I did my training in a (slow) C152, but moved up to a fuel-
injected C172 after getting my license.

Any tips to ease the flight? Good tips for fuel consumption savings?
Tips for taming my 2-year old for the flight?

Thanks!

JDK

Old May 23rd 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

JDK wrote:
Alright, first long cross-country coming up for me as a pilot.
Traveling up to see family for Memorial Day weekend (and hoping the
weather holds out on Friday).

Of note, I did my training in a (slow) C152, but moved up to a fuel-
injected C172 after getting my license.

Any tips to ease the flight? Good tips for fuel consumption savings?
Tips for taming my 2-year old for the flight?

Thanks!

JDK

Cough medicine is a parents best friend.

Old May 23rd 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Cough medicine is a parents best friend.

Cough medicine and aviation are a dangerous mix.

Old May 23rd 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"JDK" == JDK writes:

JDK Alright, first long cross-country coming up for me as a
JDK pilot.

What's "long"?

1. Bring a credit card with a high limit.
2. Bring a large bag of patience to wait out poor weather, mechanical
problems, etc.
3. Bring a GPS.

That's really all you need.

--
"Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be somewhere!"
--President Bush, joking about his administration's failure to find
Correspondents' Association dinner, March 25, 2004

Old May 23rd 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 5/23/2007 11:57:07 AM, JDK wrote:

Any tips to ease the flight? Good tips for fuel consumption savings?
Tips for taming my 2-year old for the flight?

How about one of those portable DVD players for your two year-old? Target and
WalMart sell them for US$100 or less. If you are flying a newer model C172
the audio panel should have an auxiliary input that will take the audio cable
from the unit.

Airnav for fuel price planning, if you haven't already.

A Tropicana 96 ounce orange juice container works very well as a porta-potty
while in the air, assuming you are carrying only family. Wife adaptor
required, however, and a plastic funnel works well at that.

Be alert for the symptoms of get-there-itis.

--
Peter
Old May 23rd 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, JDK said:
Any tips to ease the flight? Good tips for fuel consumption savings?
Tips for taming my 2-year old for the flight?

Fly high. Nothing ruins the flight for non-pilots more than bouncing
around in the bumps at 2,000 AGL. I like 8-10K because there are so few
other planes up there.

Also, plan your descent so you aren't dropping in like a stone.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of
Old May 23rd 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Cough medicine is a parents best friend.

Cough medicine and aviation are a dangerous mix.

Pricelessly clueless!!!!!!

Old May 23rd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris G.

If you can, take your 2 y/o flying now and get them used to it. I got
my son flying at 18 mos. and he loves it now (2-1/2). Another thing I
would recommend is getting him/her a set of headphones. I got the ones
with one cup red and one cup blue (forget the brand), but they work nice.

Give you kid sudafed before you fly. Also, try to schedule the flight
close to a naptime. My kid sleeps very soundly in the back seat. On
our last flight, when I had him sitting up front with me, he fell asleep
there, too. Again, did I mention a headset for him?

When flying with my son, I do have to occasionally unplug his mic (but
not the headphones!) so I can do my flying and talk to ATC.

I disagree with the DVD player, but do suggest some books, small toys,
and a cup/bottle with his/her favorite drink. Your child will get
thirsty. I strapped in the carseat into the back seat of a Cherokee and
the back and front seats of a 172. It takes some creativity sometimes,
but can be done.

I can also email you off-ng if you want. Send me an email
flying
&at&
k7sle -dot- com

Good luck!!!!!!

Chris G., PP-ASEL
Father of 2 cute kids who like planes
Salem, Oregon

Old May 23rd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Cough medicine is a parents best friend.

Cough medicine and aviation are a dangerous mix.

haha, I try to give you slack, but then something like this.

Cough medicine for the kid.

Mom used to mix a little sloe gin with our milk when I was
a kid. Worked like a charm.

Old May 23rd 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Erik writes:

haha, I try to give you slack, but then something like this.

Cough medicine for the kid.

Mom used to mix a little sloe gin with our milk when I was
a kid. Worked like a charm.

Were you in an airplane?

Cough medicines generally suppress respiration and mask the symptoms of
hypoxia, as well as increasing susceptibility to hypoxia a great deal.
Combine that with alcochol and the risks are even greater.