Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

Old August 30th 18, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

Well the engines are just slightly larger versions of model aircraft engines anyway. That should make anyone go “hmm”
Old August 30th 18, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le jeudi 30 août 2018 06:37:11 UTC+2, kinsell a écrit*:

Actually was a JS1. What i've observed from people flying at a 6000 ft
msl airport is those engines will start on the ground, but not in the
air. Makes for a poor sustainer, if you ask me.

Nonsense.

Old August 30th 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 08/30/2018 12:54 AM, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le jeudi 30 août 2018 06:37:11 UTC+2, kinsell a écrit*:

Actually was a JS1. What i've observed from people flying at a 6000 ft
msl airport is those engines will start on the ground, but not in the
air. Makes for a poor sustainer, if you ask me.

Nonsense.

Thank you Mr Anonymous Tango Whisky for your thoughtful in-depth
analysis of the situation. I'm sure every JS1 owner who has ever had
engine start problems greatly appreciates your input. It's people like
you who make R.A.S. such a wonderful community, where information can be
freely exchanged without being rudely interrupted by ignorant bozos, who
can't believe a problem exists unless they personally have experienced it.
Old August 30th 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

My name is Bert Willing, and your post was nonsense. I know quite a couple of jet owners, and they never had a problem of starting their engins attention altitude.
Old August 30th 18, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Tango Whisky wrote on 8/30/2018 12:32 PM:
My name is Bert Willing, and your post was nonsense. I know quite a couple of
jet owners, and they never had a problem of starting their engins attention
altitude.

I agree with Dave, based on being around several people with jet sustainers at
Parowan and Ely, both 6000' msl. Besides the unreliable starting, they don't
sustain well at high altitudes because the power is marginal for high density
altitudes. A little bit of sink, or a mountain in the way ...

We're not saying EVERY jet has a problem, but a substantial fraction seem to.

Old August 31st 18, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 08/30/2018 01:32 PM, Tango Whisky wrote:
My name is Bert Willing, and your post was nonsense. I know quite a couple of jet owners, and they never had a problem of starting their engins attention altitude.

For you to not know of problems certainly doesn't prove that problems
don't exist. I know of three different JS1's that flew from that 6000'
msl airport that reported problems starting. That's three out of three.

I was at the airport when the bad outlanding reported by Ramy occurred.
I wasn't able to help on that retrieve, I was busy doing another
retrieve when a different jet landed out and collapsed his landing gear
on the same day. Someday jets may be extremely reliable, fuel
efficient, and quiet. That day is not likely to be anytime in the
foreseeable future. Some breakthrough in battery technology is more
likely to come along giving us better energy density and safety than
what we have now.
Old October 28th 20, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 12:32:03 PM UTC-7, Tango Whisky wrote:
My name is Bert Willing, and your post was nonsense. I know quite a couple of jet owners, and they never had a problem of starting their engins attention altitude.

I know three jet owners and everyone has had/has a problem starting or developing thrust.
Old August 30th 18, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Correct, my apologies, it was a JS1.
I know a bloke with 3 jets on an ASW20, self launches, goes rather well, and no problems yet...