Tach Attack

Old August 11th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_7_]

Default Tach Attack

Peter Dohm wrote:

I admit that I don't recall who manufactures and sells them; but I seem to
recall that Steve Wittman used a "self sufficient distributor" fitting that
description, as part of his V8 conversion for the Tailwind, at least 25
years ago.

Peter

Would that really be a Vertex magneto that fits into the distributor
hole? They use Vertex mags on VW engines sometimes...

Scott
Old August 11th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
Peter Dohm wrote:

I admit that I don't recall who manufactures and sells them; but I seem
to recall that Steve Wittman used a "self sufficient distributor" fitting
that description, as part of his V8 conversion for the Tailwind, at least
25 years ago.

Peter

Would that really be a Vertex magneto that fits into the distributor hole?
They use Vertex mags on VW engines sometimes...

Scott

You are probably correct, although I no longer recall the name and do not
recall where my copy of the V8 conversion plans might be stored.

That was just one of several projects that never came to fruition. And
today there are additional choices in the same range of power, weight, and
displacement--that would not require the resurection of a 45 year old
engine.

Peter

Old August 11th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Peter Dohm wrote:
"brian whatcott" wrote in message
Philippe wrote:
I also use the magnets for CDI electronic ignition. no more magnetos,
no more cable for tach, no more copper tube for oil pressure... By

Not sure if this is what you mean, but a few high energy magnets spinning
on a plate do a great job producing pulses in a few coils spaced close to
the spinning magnets.

Seems like you could easily arrange two sets of coils to provide a double
source for a CD ignition, as well as timing it....
Or perhaps more compact, a source (if rectified and smoothed)
for one of those electronic ignition modules that fit inside the car
distributor, these days....

Either way that really amounts to a magneto I suppose - but so few
components, and double redundant so no battery would be involved.....

Brian W

I admit that I don't recall who manufactures and sells them; but I seem to
recall that Steve Wittman used a "self sufficient distributor" fitting that
description, as part of his V8 conversion for the Tailwind, at least 25
years ago.

Peter

Something that fits in the distributor hole and looks like a
distributor, with no battery lead however, is the VW type magneto.
Kinda expensive, and sticks up on a VW cowl, but does the job.

Kinda like the Wittman approach??

Brian W
Old August 11th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

"Dan" wrote in message
Stealth Pilot wrote:
On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 21:11:48 -0700, John Kimmel
wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
Not a real drawback, as the tach also includes a secondary counter that
can still be used to keep track of minutes. However, 200 hours is
about five years of flying for me, and the built-in battery of the Tiny
Tach is only good for 5-8 years. At that point, I'd better hope the
company is still operating...or come up with some other solution.

Ron Wanttaja
Here is a picture of the insides of a tiny tach. The gray stuff is soft
potting compound similar to BMS5-95. The battery was a common 3v Lithim
Ion button cell welded to the tabs before potting. If I ever find
another tiny tach that needs a new battery, I will cut a hole right over
the battery with a rotabroach or a mill instead of splitting the case.
You can't open the case without breaking it

http://tinyurl.com/tinytach

John
this is incredibly funny. they go to all the trouble of sealing up the
case and filling it to make it bullet proof and what is it that the
second reader of ron's post does?

pull one apart to see what's inside :-) :-) :-)

I love it!

Stealth Pilot

I think most of us have done that at one time or another. The hard part
is putting it back together with no parts left over.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

And making sure that the magic smoke doesn't EVER escape.

Flash

Old August 11th 09, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kimmel[_2_]

wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
[...]

I pulled it apart years ago.

--
John Kimmel

So in this world
Of the simple and odd,
The bent and plain,
The unbalanced bod,
The imperfect people
And differently pawed,
Some live without love...
That's how they're flawed.
Old August 11th 09, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe[_2_]

Default electronics [ Tach Attack]

brian whatcott a écrit:

I also use the magnets for CDI electronic ignition. no more magnetos,
no more cable for tach, no more copper tube for oil pressure...

By

Not sure if this is what you mean, but a few high energy magnets
spinning on a plate do a great job producing pulses in a few coils
spaced close to the spinning magnets.

I have two simple magnets one north face and the other south face glue
at 0° and 180°.
The sensor is one AH287 and I use two automotive CDI boxes as power
stage for ignition #2.
I use one distributorless box from M&W ignition for #1.

For the electric wiring, I copy the following schematic:
http://www.jodel.com/index.asp?p=potezwiring&engines

My electronics devices are in the the point and distributor ignition
place.
In fact, I built 2 distributorless ignittions like today cars but
still have fix timing.

The wish list is one microcontroler for variable timing.

No way to built a small generator with my magnets. A batteryless
ignition like Jabiru require more start energy than my ignition.

By
--
« Si tous les poètes voulaient se donner la main, ils toucheraient enfin
des doigts d'auteur! »

Old August 11th 09, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:26:15 +0200, Philippe
wrote:

brian whatcott a écrit:

[...]

the trick with the magnets is to understand that it is the collapsing
magnetic field that produces the pulse to the spark plug.
if you look at a jabiru magnet there are 3 poles. as the magnet goes
whizzing past the coil the coil sees North-South then suddenly
South-North. the second magnet orientation is designed to accelerate
the collapse of the field through the coil core.
The two outer poles are , say, South and the centre one, say, North or
vice versa.

it is not just magnets on a plate but magnetic pole orientation as
well that makes it work.

Stealth Pilot

Old August 12th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_7_]

"Scott" wrote

Would that really be a Vertex magneto that fits into the distributor hole?
They use Vertex mags on VW engines sometimes...

I think it was this beast that I read some very unflattering things about,
concerning reliability, about a month ago. It made me wonder if I would
want to depend on one of these while above the NC mountains.

Anyone else remember anything like that?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 12th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Morgans wrote:

"Scott" wrote

Would that really be a Vertex magneto that fits into the distributor
hole? They use Vertex mags on VW engines sometimes...

I think it was this beast that I read some very unflattering things
about, concerning reliability, about a month ago. It made me wonder if
I would want to depend on one of these while above the NC mountains.

Anyone else remember anything like that?

Especially considering there is only one of them...

secondary tach dave Owning 1 March 14th 07 07:34 PM
EGT / Tach Fluctuation [email protected] Owning 3 August 29th 05 04:58 PM
Archer Tach Red Arc Greg Esres Owning 15 February 9th 05 08:28 AM
Wayward Tach O. Sami Saydjari Owning 7 February 6th 04 01:27 AM
Need new PA28 tach Michael Isaksen Owning 2 October 2nd 03 03:27 PM