ASH 26E VS DG 808C

Old November 2nd 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rory O'Conor

Default ASH 26E VS DG 808C

I would like to see more potential to store luggage to enable better
safari trips.
=20
I can already sto
Charts
Fuel pump
Small sleeping bag
Small tie-downs
Bottle engine oil
Toothbrush
=20
(assuming I leave the oxygen behind).
=20
But this is not really enough for a long trip.
=20
I think that the new SLMG should both be potentially competitive for
competition flying and also have sufficient storage to enable a 2-4 week
unsupported safari with a modicum of comfort.
=20
I would like to be able to also sto
a fuel container
a laptop computer
several chargers (batteries, mobile phone, computer etc)
some clothes
a pair of shoes
possibly a bigger sleeping bag
possibly even a karrimat and bivy bag
maybe a few tools=20
=20
I am sure that there is potentially usable space in the control area
next to the fuel tank, wheel box with access from behind the seat.
And maybe it is possible to make a seatback cushion that has space to
store a laptop.
And someone should sell a collapsible fuel container.
Possibly a sleeping bag storage area in the rear fuselage accessible via
the engine bay.
Maybe even potential for some in-wing storage areas.
=20
ps: I would also like more room in the instrument panel. I have no
transponder, nor FLARM nor IPAC, but with Horizon and T&S my panel is
full.
=20
Rory
DG800B
=20
Author:
=20
Date/Time: 00:00 02 November 2006

________________________________

One of my original questions was since both these designs are over 12
years old (normal life span for a design) what changes would you like
to see in future designs? And when do you expect a new self launch
motor glider design to come on the market?

=20

Old November 2nd 06, 12:01 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp
Ok, I'll bite. This is what I want:
- 15 meter, 45:1, 300 pound empty weight, 200 knot redline
- Turboprop self launch using something like this:
http://www.jetcatusa.com/spt5.html
This little thing could put out 55 lb of thrust and weigh (without
prop, frame, gearing etc.) 2.5 kg
- 6-8 gallon fuel capacity, good for 90 minutes
- Total delivered cost: US$70-80,000

This can be done today, and in fact, when the Sparrowhawk's racing
model comes out (no dates yet), it will fulfill the glider requirements
above. Of course I'm optimistic, but all the technology exists today
for all these requirements. I expect to buy this in the next 2-3
years.

Kemp

If you want to extend your range of choices in IC powered gliders, call
up Windward Performance and ask them when their self-launching
SparrowHawk will be available. They delivered one to Mississippi
University for the UAV program, and now plan to build another, with a
purpose unknown to me.[/i][/color]
25 hour service interval? I was hooked untill then, anyone know why?

Bagmaker
Old November 2nd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Antares 20E vs. ASH 26E VS DG 808C

Price of $15 000 for the batterie is not so expansive.

It's one of the costs of ownership that has to be compared with the
cost of maintaining/replacing an internal combustion engine. A
engine and the Antares battery cost seems to be comparable.

Andy

Old November 2nd 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Price of $15 000 for the batterie is not so expansive.

It's one of the costs of ownership that has to be compared with the
cost of maintaining/replacing an internal combustion engine. A
engine and the Antares battery cost seems to be comparable.

Andy

I don't think it's fair to compare those items directly. You *know* you will
have to replace the Antares batteries after X number of discharge/charge
cycles or years.

This is not the case with the ASH26E, as it is most unlikely the engine
would ever need to be replaced during the average lifetime of use - - there
has been but one engine failure requiring complete replacement in the US . .
.. and it seems there were extenuating circumstances even in that case.

Of course there are other costs, related to operating an internal combustion
engine, that may more appropriately be compared to the cost of those battery
packs. Stuff like fuel, oil, and the additional engine maintenance of an IC
engine as compared to an electric motor.

The IC engine maintenance seems to be the big variable, with things like the
odd water pump leak and spark plugs to replace. There's also the engine
start sealed lead acid battery to replace every 3 to 5 years (though in my
26E, that amounts to only $60 - - $30 each for two 18 amp hour bats - - one
is for avionics).

I see the main advantage of electric launch as convenience, simplicity, and
reliability (?). The "convenience" is limited, though, to flip-a-switch
operation and probably much less engine maintenance. On balance, the
electric will not be so convenient to use for safari type trips or even
extended day trips that require longer engine runs (i.e. using the glider as
Kempton has for flying from near the California coast, over the Sierra, and
on to the Great Basin in NV. This requires a substantial initial climb, then
glide over a wide sink-hole, and then another long climb to clear the
Sierra - - okay, now where do I plug this sucker in?!).

Each method of propulsion, like the glider designs themselves, has it's
merits and drawbacks, so it looks like variety should be around for awhile.

bumper