Mounting tires on 3" solid tailwheels

Old April 25th 18, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mounting tires on 3" solid tailwheels

I'm one of the club fixit guys, and I got a little obsessed with the task of mounting a tire on a Tost 3" dia. solid tailwheel. I tried all the good advice offered on this and other forums with zero success. Most likely I lack superhuman hand strength and three extra arms.

Success took the form of a $43 Harbor Freight mini-tire changer and Ru-Glyde tire mounting lubricant from NAPA Auto. It's not as easy as the harbor freight promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7o-i4tQyfY

but it isn't a hideous trial either. With the tool the most difficult part is getting the inner tube emplaced and managing the valve stem.

Brian R
127MM

PS, If you used the tool regularly you'd probably make some modifications, since it theoretically is for wheels 4" dia. and greater.

PPS, I bought a split wheel for my own glider. Expensive, but you have some recourse if you get a flat when away from the shop.
Old April 25th 18, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 5:08:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Tire talc makes it much easier:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/tiretalc.php
Old April 25th 18, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Baby powder works just fine too for lubricating tubes
Old April 25th 18, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

WD40 sprayed on the tire bead when installing helps immensely.
Old April 25th 18, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just a general comment that oils and solvent based products are not very compatible with rubber. Ask any tire shop. Water based products are the safest.

Old April 25th 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I use baby powder, smells funny but is a lot cheaper and your wife
probably has some in the closet.

I change the tires on my Harley with tire irons and have considered
using a couple of C-clamps to mount tail wheels.Â* Instead, I bought a
brass split wheel for my Stemme since I needed some weight in the tail
(rather than giving up beer).

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 25th 18, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 10:01:27 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just a general comment that oils and solvent based products are not very compatible with rubber. Ask any tire shop. Water based products are the safest.

Soapy water is a reasonable lube.
Do this job a few times and you will have some damaged tubes(easily pinched and torn), and a real motivation for multi piece wheel. It is hopeless if you are in a rush.
One part Tost wheels do make good paper weights.
FWIW
UH