Attitudes & Reality

Old May 5th 18, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Attitudes & Reality

Folks like Gregg cracks me up with their cluelessness.. to prove his false point he keeps posting a video which is case in point of why see and avoid does not work. indeed most folks will miss the gorilla since we can’t trust our eyes. It was part of the presentation the flarm folks were giving at a time. And then he gives example of those cases when gear alarms were ignored. I heard of such cases. For each example of ignored gear alarm there are countless of examples were gear alarm saved a gear up landings.
I bet he drives without seat belts since there are documented cases of fatalities due to seat belts.

Ramy
Old May 5th 18, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 7:21:37 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Folks like Gregg cracks me up with their cluelessness.. to prove his false point he keeps posting a video which is case in point of why see and avoid does not work. indeed most folks will miss the gorilla since we can’t trust our eyes. It was part of the presentation the flarm folks were giving at a time. And then he gives example of those cases when gear alarms were ignored. I heard of such cases. For each example of ignored gear alarm there are countless of examples were gear alarm saved a gear up landings.
I bet he drives without seat belts since there are documented cases of fatalities due to seat belts.

Ramy

Indeed clueless beyond belief. And yes the exact video that the FLARM founders used to use to make their point. Urs used it at safety seminars in the USA. The research project that started FLARM looked at visual perception, and wether glider marking etc. could help there. They ended up doing the collision avoidance radio technology path exactly because because the human eyeball and brain don't work so well for this and benefit greatly for assistance.
Old May 5th 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

And, most of the "non club" ships I fly have Flarm. I welcome it, but it also means others have to have something the Flarm in the ship I'm flying can pick up.

Nuff said.....
Old May 7th 18, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 5:28:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Traffic warnings are no guarantee. Posted one of these before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY
Consider all the gear up warnings that get ignored. Just because something beeps doesn't mean we will notice. And all the traffic alerts that aren't a factor are a distraction from flying and looking for the one with our name on it. ADS-B alerts train pilots to be distracted and stressed by traffic that isn't a collision risk. While adding to risk homeostasis.
With widespread adoption of this stuff you will see just as many if not more midairs.

Damnit, you are SO FULL OF **** it is unbelievable.

If you can't keep track of a collision warning display while flying, you have ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS BEING IN MY SKY.

Pathetic. Go crawl back into your cave and huddle by your fire as the storm goes by. Oh wait, that fire technology is bad and dangerous and makes you more likely to be eaten by a wolf!

Please take your flat-earth chem-trail BS somewhere else.

Kirk
66
NOT scared by technology.
Old May 7th 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Kirk -

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...-cockpit-alarm

http://m.tribune242.com/news/2015/fe...mplates=mobile

https://www.newscientist.com/blogs/o...al-report.html

Research shows that even highly trained professional pilots carrying passengers ignore alarms.
Old May 7th 18, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Yes, distraction is a bitch and when distracted pilots ignore things. There is no guarantee that you will respond to a powerflarm alarm appropriately and on time. This is why I don’t expect it to completely eliminate mid airs. But you can be damn sure that it can significantly reduce mid airs (as it very clearly evidently does if you look at statistics). Simply since most of the time we don’t ignore alarms and we do take appropriate actions.

Ramy
Old May 7th 18, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 7:38:18 PM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, are you from the FAA? So, it is YOUR sky, is it? You should take a Dale Carnegie course, "How to Win Friends and Influence People." You can get it for free:
http://images.kw.com/docs/2/1/2/2123...58_htwfaip.pdf
Old May 7th 18, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have the same problem in medicine, its called Alarm Fatigue. During sedation there are alarms for just about every parameter that we monitor: absolute blood pressure, mean blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen concentration in the blood, carbon dioxide concentration in the breath, body temperature, and more. You can commonly have two or three alarms just on the border of triggering on and off and on and off and on and off throughout a many hour case. The brain can only concentrate on one thing at a time.
Old May 7th 18, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Think of the audio vario - that quiet drone in the subconscious - till you 300m above the ground and it's all you focussed on and every little warble has your full attention.

Clinton
Old May 7th 18, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Recall hearing that combat pilots in Vietnam would shut off all of their enemy radar/SAM missile warnings. relying on their eyes and radio calls from fellow pilots the electronic warnings being a distraction from staying alive. Any jet pilots from that era that can confirm or correct?