A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider crash near Reno yesterday

Old September 3rd 18, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Glider crash near Reno yesterday

Another tragic accident yesterday near Slide Mountain. Responders haven't reached the crash site as of this morning due to fire. There are conflicting reports from witnesses and unconfirmed info. Here's a link to the KOLO TV News report:

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/P...?ref=hvper.com

Old September 3rd 18, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

In general, how does a glider start a forest fire unless gas is onboard?

Sad either way with a wrecked aircraft.

Yep, the west is having a bad forestfire season......
Old September 3rd 18, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 12:01:25 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

Old September 3rd 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 12:01:25 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

Motorglider or self-launch I suspect. One witness reported engine noise.
Old September 3rd 18, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Wow.......just wow.
Old September 4th 18, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

Checking sailplane tracker, there are no gliders indicated that go missing yesterday in that area. Yesterday was obviously a strong soaring day with good altitudes based on the great flights out of Truckee and Minden. So it makes no sense that a cross country sailplane would have any reason to be on the face of Slide Mountain early in the day and especially not doing loops there as suggested by the witness on the news show. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old September 4th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Monday, 3 September 2018 17:04:24 UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
Checking sailplane tracker, there are no gliders indicated that go missing yesterday in that area. Yesterday was obviously a strong soaring day with good altitudes based on the great flights out of Truckee and Minden. So it makes no sense that a cross country sailplane would have any reason to be on the face of Slide Mountain early in the day and especially not doing loops there as suggested by the witness on the news show. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Steve and others, I received this from the Soar Truckee Yahoo Groups 45 minutes ago. Tragic. If it is in appropriate I will remove but it was sent via a public group

Dear TTSA-Soar Truckee Pilots and Family

It is with deep sorrow that I confirm the passing of Sergio Colacevich and Jim Alton in the crash of Sergio’s and Mike Mayo’s Duo Discus yesterday. We have no details of the how or why, only the result, which took place Saturday September 2nd near the base of Slide Mountain in rugged terrain.

We are maintaining constant contact with Amy Colacevich and Millie Alton (who is at the glider port). We will provide updates as they become known.

Please keep both our dear friends in your hearts and prayers.

Richard Pearl
Vice President, TTSA

Old September 4th 18, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick
external usenet poster

Thanks Ron, I live here and couldn't figure out what happened. Damn, so sorry.
Old September 4th 18, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 5:14:34 PM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:

Steve and others, I received this from the Soar Truckee Yahoo Groups 45 minutes ago. Tragic. If it is in appropriate I will remove but it was sent via a public group

It is with deep sorrow that I confirm the passing of Sergio Colacevich and Jim Alton in the crash of Sergio’s and Mike Mayo’s Duo Discus yesterday. We have no details of the how or why, only the result, which took place Saturday September 2nd near the base of Slide Mountain in rugged terrain.

We are maintaining constant contact with Amy Colacevich and Millie Alton (who is at the glider port). We will provide updates as they become known.

Richard Pearl
Vice President, TTSA

So very tragic. I am not sure what is going on but we have lost some very experienced pilots this year. I also lost one of the best pilots I have flown with a week ago when he, a CFI and another CFI were going out in a Citabria to practice spins. This is the worse year for experienced pilots I can remember. My soul hurts and I am confused, do I fly a 2-32 better than the owner of Stowe? Do I fly a 29 better than Sergio could fly a Dou?
Old September 4th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 5:14:34 PM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:

Richard Pearl
Vice President, TTSA

Many of us who knew Sergio and Jim are devastated. I lost 2 friend this weekend. We dont know much but we do know it was not due to aerobatics or engine restart as I've seen in the news.
They were last seen at 14K over Mount Rose few minutes before they were observed 5 miles east at around 9500 feet when the glider broke apart either due to flutter or high G. From Mt Rose they were suppose to go west to start the task as it was a local contest day. So we know they had no reason to dive 5 miles east and do acro. Neither of them was known to do acro, especially not low in the mountains and during a contest. What was observed by the witnesses is a glider out of control at its final stage before breaking up in the air which can certainly look like aerobatics. Similarly they had no reason to try an airstart high over the mountains. The flutter noise may have sounded like a motor.
That's all we know and I doubt we will ever know more as the fire consumed the glider.
My deep condolences to the families and all of us who will miss them.
This had been the worst year for glider accidents since I started flying 20 years ago.

Ramy