A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

17.6 meter tips for Ventus C ?

Old October 18th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron (Sr)
external usenet poster

Default 17.6 meter tips for Ventus C ?

I just returned from the LAK factory in Lithuania where I discovered to my great surprise my former Ventus C (22 Tango) fully restored and ready to fly. The new owner, Martynas Bykovas would like to find a pair of 17.6 meter tips to enhance his soaring in the mild lift conditions prevalent in Lithuania. Does anyone have such available?
Old October 19th 18, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Funny though. I haven't yet seen a Ventus C with 16.6 m tips in Europe.
Old October 19th 18, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 9:49:06 PM UTC-7, Tango Whisky wrote:

Wasn't it the B that had optional 16.6m tips?
The C 17.6m tips are essentially the same as the Nimbus 3 25.5m tips - without the spoileron you never hook up anyway.
The Schempp tips are more easily interchangeable than Schleicher tips.
Jim
Old October 19th 18, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Le vendredi 19 octobre 2018 14:58:57 UTC+2, JS a écrit*:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 9:49:06 PM UTC-7, Tango Whisky wrote:

Wasn't it the B that had optional 16.6m tips?
The C 17.6m tips are essentially the same as the Nimbus 3 25.5m tips - without the spoileron you never hook up anyway.
The Schempp tips are more easily interchangeable than Schleicher tips.
Jim

The Ventus a/b comes in 15 and 16.6 m, and the Ventus C (as far as I know it) comes with 15 and 17.6 m. The ailerons on the 17.6 m tips travel only upwards. The C wings was changed from trailing edge airbrakes to standard Schempp-Hirth airbrakes, the fuselage is the Ventus b fuselage improved by a wingroot fairing.

I don't think that it would be a good idea to fit the 17.6 m tips to a Ventus a/b.

Bert
Ventus cM "TW"
Old October 19th 18, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If memory serves SH did at one time offer a kit to extend the 16.6 tips to 17.6. I was tempted to do the mod but was unable to find a spare set of 16..6 tips so I could keep “my” 16.6 tips as standard. Even called out to Applebay to see if JDs tips might have been salvagable, but no luck.
Old October 19th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The 17.6 tips was a glove that was available from SH for the Nimbus-3 and Ventus-C with factory blessing, but no blessing for the Ventus A or B models.. I have seen at least one B with 17.6 tips, but that wing wasn't built for the increased span. Rather easy job to add the glove and they are probably still available from the factory.
JJ
Old October 19th 18, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Le vendredi 19 octobre 2018 15:43:55 UTC+2, a écrit*:
The 17.6 tips was a glove that was available from SH for the Nimbus-3 and Ventus-C with factory blessing, but no blessing for the Ventus A or B models. I have seen at least one B with 17.6 tips, but that wing wasn't built for the increased span. Rather easy job to add the glove and they are probably still available from the factory.
JJ

On the Ventus C, the 17.6 m are not gloves, but standard tips with a spar that is inserted into the main wing. There are inofficial gloves around though which extend the 17.6 m to 18 m with winglets.
Amd yes, the C wings are structurally different from a/b wings.
So, extending a a/b to 17.6 or the C to 18 m winglet is a bet in terms of load and flutter which I wouldn't take.
Old October 19th 18, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martynas Bykovas
external usenet poster

I have seen two different ventus b's, one with trailing edge brakes and newer s/n, that i own, with conventional.
Newer has a bit different rod configuration, no flap shaft, wing fairings on fuselage, etc.. I believe it is the same ventus c except wing tips.

Both gliders came from factory with 15m and 16.6m tips.

Mine was redesignated from b to c (TN 349-11) some time later.
Redesignation was possible, probably, because it was sold by factory with applied bulletins 349-18 and 349-19.

This is how i came up with ventus c and 16.6 meter tips.

SH said that they do not provide 17.6 meter tips anymore.

BR,
Martynas

Old October 19th 18, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Le vendredi 19 octobre 2018 16:34:24 UTC+2, Martynas Bykovas a écrit*:
I have seen two different ventus b's, one with trailing edge brakes and newer s/n, that i own, with conventional.
Newer has a bit different rod configuration, no flap shaft, wing fairings on fuselage, etc.. I believe it is the same ventus c except wing tips.

Both gliders came from factory with 15m and 16.6m tips.

Mine was redesignated from b to c (TN 349-11) some time later.
Redesignation was possible, probably, because it was sold by factory with applied bulletins 349-18 and 349-19.

This is how i came up with ventus c and 16.6 meter tips.

SH said that they do not provide 17.6 meter tips anymore.

BR,
Martynas

Ok, I see. Looks like the typical incremental shift between two models by SH. My Ventus cM for example is the first one (of four) which received the sprung 5" wheel of the Ventus 2...