Newbie question on trailering Setup

Old December 16th 04, 04:27 AM
joe

Default Newbie question on trailering Setup

I am wondering what is involved with trailering and setting up an
average (popular model) glider. Can one reasonable expect to park the
car, unload the trailer, and have glider ready to fly in under
90minutes? Does it usually take two people? Do gliders ever have
wings separate in flight due to weak attachment points?

Old December 16th 04, 05:05 AM
Bill Daniels

"joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering what is involved with trailering and setting up an
average (popular model) glider. Can one reasonable expect to park the
car, unload the trailer, and have glider ready to fly in under
90minutes?

A lot of people can do it alone under 30 minutes with simple assembly aids.

Does it usually take two people?

Not always, but it can help.

Do gliders ever have wings separate in flight due to weak attachment

points?

If the wings ever separate, it won't be at the attachment points. At least,
I've never heard of it.

Bill Daniels

Old December 16th 04, 11:58 AM
John Giddy

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:05:33 GMT, Bill Daniels wrote:

"joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering what is involved with trailering and setting up an
average (popular model) glider. Can one reasonable expect to park the
car, unload the trailer, and have glider ready to fly in under
90minutes?

A lot of people can do it alone under 30 minutes with simple assembly aids.

Does it usually take two people?

Not always, but it can help.

Do gliders ever have wings separate in flight due to weak attachment

points?

If the wings ever separate, it won't be at the attachment points. At least,
I've never heard of it.

Bill Daniels

Bill,
Wasn't there a fatal just a few years ago where one of the wing pins
in a DGsomething came out because the safety latch became
delaminated from the inside of the fuselage? Wing flexure in rough
conditions caused the pin to work out, as I remember.
John G.
Old December 16th 04, 01:05 PM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

30 Minutes is typical ... sub 15 minutes is possible with an
experienced crew.

You can purchase or build one-person assembly aids to allow you to do
it alone. Some people are very practiced at this and can put together a
glider just about as quickly as a two-person team.

The attachment points have been designed and tested to fail at loads
well above those you are expected to encounter in flight when you are
operating the glider according to published/certified guidelines. Weak
attachment points are usually never cited as a accident issue ... pilot
error in controlling the glider ... or in hookig up/attaching the
flight controls during assembly ... are the typical causes of
structural/control failures. Most new glider designs now have
automatic control hookups, so when you install wings and elevators, the
control surfaces are properly connected to the cockpit. Even so, a
final check is used to insure the assembly is correct and the control
surfaces function properly.

KK

Old December 16th 04, 04:04 PM
Bill Daniels

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in
message ...
John Giddy wrote:

Wasn't there a fatal just a few years ago where one of the wing pins
in a DGsomething came out because the safety latch became
delaminated from the inside of the fuselage? Wing flexure in rough
conditions caused the pin to work out, as I remember.

A DG400 lost its wings a few years ago. It was piloted by
Fred Jacobs and at an age when most of us have been retired
for 10-20 years, he successfully made his first parachute
jump when the wings decided to depart. Delamination of the
safety latch was suspected, but I don't think anyone knows
for sure.

I started to write that I was dubious about the wing pins working their way
out since they would be locked in place by shear loads. Then I thought
about it more.

For those gliders where the removable pins merely hold the wings against
sliding out of the fuselage and the spar end spigot pins take the actual
bending loads, there is no shear load on the removable pins. They could
indeed work their way out.

My Nimbus uses a single 50mm diameter pin that does take shear loads so it's
hard to see it working out. However, I'll safety it anyway.

Bill Daniels

Old December 16th 04, 06:42 PM

I can reliably pull up to the gliderport and be on the runway, strapped
in, ready for a tow, in an hour. This is with an LS6b (manual
hookups), two people (the other person needed for 5 minutes max), Cobra
trailer, and not adding any water ballast. It does include taping,
cleaning the canopy inside and out. Rigging the plane is usually the
quickest thing to do, expecially if you have auto hookups - maybe 15
minutes from pulling up to done. What takes more time (and which many
people seem to overlook when saying how quick they can rig) is a decent
tape job and a good wash. Add water ballast and you may have another
30 minutes. I would challenge anyone who says they can be ready to go
in 15 minutes to a race...but let them fly their own planes!

I like to give myself two hours from driving up to launching, so I'm
not rushed and have time to do a little flight planning (looking at the
sky, mainly!).

I don't worry about my wings coming off - I worry about spam can
drivers who don't look out the window.

Kirk
66

Old December 16th 04, 08:55 PM
Ralph Jones

On 15 Dec 2004 19:27:39 -0800, "joe" wrote:

I am wondering what is involved with trailering and setting up an
average (popular model) glider. Can one reasonable expect to park the
car, unload the trailer, and have glider ready to fly in under
90minutes? Does it usually take two people? Do gliders ever have
wings separate in flight due to weak attachment points?

As others have answered, I'd say 90 minutes is just about right for
the COMPLETE job of making the ship ready. As for the assembly itself,
two people can typically do it in 15 minutes -- and six people can do
it in an hour...;-)
Old December 16th 04, 11:52 PM
John Giddy

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:04:55 GMT, Bill Daniels wrote:

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in
message ...
John Giddy wrote:

[...]

Bill, I hope that your grammar is confusing. I read your last sentence
to indicate that you do not currently safety the main pin, but will do
so in future. I hope I am wrong !!!
The main pin in gliders like the Nimbus, Std Cirrus etc. is under
strong continuous shear load in flight in calm air. However in severe
turbulence, I can envisage the load reversing frequently, and with a
small amount of fore and aft movement, "walking" the pin out.
The DG uses two large pins in shear to connect the wings, with no pins
in the ends of the spars. Only a single spar extension on each wing
which overlaps the other for the joint, so such "walking" of a pin is
probably more likely than with the Schempp-Hirth design which uses a
forked end on one spar end and a single end on the other with a pin to
locate its tip in the opposite root rib.
Please always use a safety pin !
Cheers, John G.
Old December 17th 04, 12:40 AM
Bill Daniels

"John Giddy" wrote in message
.. .
I started to write that I was dubious about the wing pins working their

way
out since they would be locked in place by shear loads. Then I thought
about it more.

For those gliders where the removable pins merely hold the wings against
sliding out of the fuselage and the spar end spigot pins take the actual
bending loads, there is no shear load on the removable pins. They could
indeed work their way out.

My Nimbus uses a single 50mm diameter pin that does take shear loads so

it's
hard to see it working out. However, I'll safety it anyway.

Bill Daniels

Bill, I hope that your grammar is confusing. I read your last sentence
to indicate that you do not currently safety the main pin, but will do
so in future. I hope I am wrong !!!

You are right. I've always safetied the main pin on the logic that since
there's a bracket the designer must have thought it necessary. Not
something that calls for experimentation.

Bill Daniels

Old December 17th 04, 05:16 PM

As I recall, there was just such an accident back in the early '70s at
Minden, NV during the U.S. Nationals. During a high-speed starting run,
both wing pins worked their way out and the wings departed the glider,
turning the fuselage into a missle...from which the pilot bailed out
successfully. I could have my facts wrong (which might explain why no
one else has mentioned this) but I believe the cause was determined
(suspected?) to be the main wing pins not being safetied. One notable
thing was that not only was the pilot obviously at risk when this
happened but also numerous crews/spectators. At least one of the major
pieces hit the airport very close to the crowded takeoff line.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

"John Giddy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Newbie Question, really: That first flight Cecil Chapman Home Built 25 September 20th 04 05:52 AM
Noise (was A question only a newbie would ask) David Megginson Piloting 5 August 9th 04 04:39 PM
Newbie FS 2002/04 question Mr Phase Simulators 2 February 11th 04 09:48 AM
Newbie question Bill Gribble Soaring 6 November 6th 03 08:57 PM
Special Flight Setup Question (COF) Dudley Henriques Simulators 4 October 11th 03 12:14 AM