Oct 24 is our Dec 17

Old October 26th 05, 03:46 PM
Bill Gribble

Default Oct 24 is our Dec 17

I'm still very much a newbie here, having only been at this since 2003.
I don't think I'll ever take this flying thing for granted, but every so
often a thought or a phrase catches me right between the eyes and
reminds me of exactly what it is we actually do.

"...to remain aloft without power..."

Quite incredible when you stop to think about it for a second or two.

John H. Campbell writes
as the air is never absolutely calm... it is possible to use the power
of the upward trend of the air ...A better knowledge of these air
currents, so that one could keep his machine constantly in the rising
trends, would enable one to remain aloft without power much longer than
has yet been done.

--
Bill Gribble
http://www.harlequin.uk.net
Old October 26th 05, 06:54 PM
Bruce

Bill Gribble wrote:
I'm still very much a newbie here, having only been at this since 2003.
I don't think I'll ever take this flying thing for granted, but every so
often a thought or a phrase catches me right between the eyes and
reminds me of exactly what it is we actually do.

"...to remain aloft without power..."

Quite incredible when you stop to think about it for a second or two.

John H. Campbell writes

as the air is never absolutely calm... it is possible to use the power
of the upward trend of the air ...A better knowledge of these air
currents, so that one could keep his machine constantly in the rising
trends, would enable one to remain aloft without power much longer
than has yet been done.

I like to say we remain aloft because of gravity.
The gravity of the situation we find ourself in when we fail to remain aloft...

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old October 28th 05, 11:07 PM
Raphael Warshaw

Eric:

Amazing what can be found on the web:

Anorak, a term of abuse
A.no.rak noun. [Esk. (Greenland) anoraq] a heavy jacket with a hood.

In the UK this form of coat was worn by all children in the 1970s, but worn
now only by socially dysfunctional adults who still wear the trousers they
wore to school (despite the fact they never covered their ankles even back
when they were 14 years old).

also

Train.spo.tting verb. [UK] the activity of recording with pen and paper, the
serial numbers from the side of railway locomotives.

Trainspotting was a common childhood pursuit of British children in the
post-war period, it comes under that category of hobbies that involve
collecting. It is possible to buy books listing the serial numbers of all
the railway rolling stock in the country and then check off each one as it
is seen. Adults who practice this activity are naturally seen as dull, and
immature, because the majority of people find other pursuits more attractive
once they have passed the legal age for sex and alcohol.

These two phenomena in British society have given rise to a new use for the
term 'anorak' (an article of clothing often worn by 'trainspotters') to mean
any dull individual, or someone with a boring hobby.

Raphael Warshaw

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Chris Rollings wrote:
John, if I didn't know you were an excellent pilot
and instructor, I'd swear you were an Anorak.