ASG-29 versus Ventus 2CX

Old November 4th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Default ASG-29 versus Ventus 2CX

Pilots come in all shapes. Measurements of cockpits can be deceptive, as
width depends on fore-and-aft position. You must try it on!

As to competition sucess, it somewhat depends on weather. the Southeast is
different than the Southwest. To be scientific, go to the SSA web page and
review all of last years 18m contests--regional and National. Then figure
the number of "29s and the number of V2s in the top quartile, divided by the
number of entries of each. This should give you the proportion of each
glider in the top quartile---The results should be interesting and
enlightening.

In strong weather---the 15m and 18m ships with high wing loading do well. In
anemic weather the 18m ships with lighter wing loading do well.

Good luck in your quest---I really don't think you would go far wrong either
way

--
Hartley Falbaum
DG800B "KF" USA/prev ASW27B "KF" USA

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why would a buyer who is putting up 120K plus be biased? We put up the
money and there is no return to being brand loyal. The buyer should
control. I have owned gliders from AS and SH, no bias only want the
best my dollars can buy.

So I ask again, if you wanted to buy the best for racing 15/18 which
glider?

Go for it. Good luck with finding an unbiased discussion, there are few
things more biased than choosing one glider brand over another...

Old November 4th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

wrote:
Why would a buyer who is putting up 120K plus be biased? We put up the
money and there is no return to being brand loyal. The buyer should
control. I have owned gliders from AS and SH, no bias only want the
best my dollars can buy.

Because the "best" is highly subjective, and will change over time and
with future contest results. What is the intent? To win a regional,
national, or world contest, this season, or 5 years down the line?
Mostly 15M or 18M? East coast, west coast, somewhere in between, or
somewhere else entirely? How many hours total and per season? How many
of those hours are in contests? Fly all the time loaded to the gills
with water, or only occasionally? Who do you fly with, and what do they
fly? Cockpit safety important to you? How long are you willing to wait
for delivery? How much are you willing to spend, and how much more will
you spend to get things set up the way you want? Etc.

Right now, bias is pretty much all you have to work with. The ASG-29 is
the latest design from a respected manufacturer, which is based on a
previous design that worked well enough for lots of people to win
contests in them. It can carry more water than the last generation of
gliders, so it will likely outrun most everything on those 10 knot days.
If money, delivery time, pilot size, and the possibility of having to
pay to reprofile bumpy wings are not issues to you, then it would be
silly to order anything else at this moment. If I were in that
position, I'd have put in my order in the day it was announced...

Old November 4th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Hultman

Hey Marc,
Finally you've posted an intelligent reply to her original question, instead
of running her down for having more $$ than you.
Good Job!
Jim
"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
.. .

Old November 4th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Hultman

Sorry that I haven't good information for you on the differences between
ASG-29 & Ventus 2CX.
I am very curious as to the ASG-29 warrantee regarding spar cap as described
in recent posts.How do U.S. buyers protect themselves from such
manufacturing blunders? I've read many posts on this R.A.S. newsgroup
concerning improperly profiled wings on earlier European sailplanes & am
wondering if & how manufacturers are held to account.
Very Best Regards,
Jim Hultman
Santa Barbara

wrote in message
ups.com...
All things being equal (delivery time, price, etc.) which glider would
you choose and why? Is there a performance difference, quality
difference, ergonomics, etc.?

The comparision should take into account 15 meter and 18 meter
performance, strong weather and weak weather performance.

Old November 4th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Jim Hultman wrote:
Hey Marc,
Finally you've posted an intelligent reply to her original question, instead
of running her down for having more $$ than you.

Who was running her down? I buy the prettiest glider I can fit into,
with the bucks that I have, just like almost everyone else. If she
hasn't figured that out yet, endlessly posting the same questions isn't
going to get her an answer...

Marc

Old November 4th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Danewid

I have spent some time in both V2ct and ASG29. I am BIG (too
big). The 29 cockpit is more roomy and comfortable than the
V2. I like the flying characteristics of the Schleicher
gliders, I am not that fond of the SH gliders, so I would
choose an ASG29 (it is also more beautiful in my opinion).

At the recent WGC in Sweden where I was the CD it was quite
clear that they have the same performance. The Jones
brothers and Wolfganf J are good pilots!

Robert

wrote:
The reason I was asking this question is I wanted to know which is the
glider to have to race 15 meter and 18 meter! Does one have a
performance advantage over the other? The comments on ASW-27/ASG-29
wing refinsh are troubling, but it cannot be too big a problem as I see
many ASW-27's on the score sheets and the talk of the 29's wing loading
range seems to have many buyers waiting for delivery (same wait time
for either V2CX or ASG29). The LS-10 is really an unknown as there are
only two flying. Also the cockpit size keeps my husband from being
able to fly this bird.

If you wanted to race both 15 meter and 18 meter, which glider would
you buy?!

On Nov 3, 3:17 pm, Nick Olson
wrote:

Neither go for the LS10, or if you really want to be
different the HpH 304S, or really different the DG808S.

Would also suggest the JS-1 or Antares 18 - but no
15m option (but it's a class that will die off soon),
or if the rumours were true I heard a few years back
wait for the 18 metre version of the SZD-56 Diana 2.

Old November 4th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
UFO

It's not likely that you will be able to get both sides of the story
from 1 single individual on this request because most people who can
afford to by an 18 meter motor glider are conservative by nature; once
they find something they like, they stick to it. (Me a
conservative....Who Knew?) Only a few of us can afford to have both a
ASG 29 and a V2cx. It is common knowledge who's gliders wings change
shape shortly after delivery and who's don't.

I have a V2cxm. It is my 3rd Ventus motor glider, in a row. Vcm,
V2cm and V2cxm. So I have experienced the "aerodynamic evolution"
on the Ventus 18 meter line. From my perspective the VcM ran very well
and she could climb once I learned her nuances but climbing was an
acquired skill which took me a while, a very pleasurable while I might
say.... The V2c climbed like a homesick angle hands off, however my
impression was that the run was slightly sacrificed for the climb
because of the diverging lift vectors at the tip with all that
dihedral. Now they really got right with the V2cx... She climbs AND
she runs, with sweet control harmony on all axis.

Thanks my experience with the Ventus line.....

What's great is that it's a self launcher too....Well isn't that
CONVENIENT...

The ASG looks impressive, I stood by the runway at Ionia as Rudy
Mosher landed next to me and it was the prettiest slowest, shortest
land I can recall. Very nice....

John Sullivan UFO
..

Air Force Aerial Refueling Methods: Flying Boom versus Hose-and-Drogue Mike Naval Aviation 26 July 11th 06 11:38 PM
Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 January 17th 05 06:48 PM
ventus C 17.5 versus ls6-18 Stuart Kinnear Soaring 12 November 25th 04 08:34 AM
TURBULATOR TAPE ON VENTUS B Ventus B Soaring 5 February 18th 04 09:27 PM
Ventus & Ventus 2 John W Soaring 3 December 7th 03 04:55 AM