Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo!

Old August 31st 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Dighera

Default Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo!

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:41:06 -0400, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
:

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...0025/-1/REGION

While pilot Annette Saunders handled her Hawker 800XP admirably after
colliding with the glider, why she obviously failed to give way is a
mystery.

Old August 31st 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:41:06 -0400, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
:

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...0025/-1/REGION

While pilot Annette Saunders handled her Hawker 800XP admirably after
colliding with the glider, why she obviously failed to give way is a
mystery.

Here is one mo
http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/mi...rt&cachetime=0

-Nik

Old August 31st 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...0025/-1/REGION

While pilot Annette Saunders handled her Hawker 800XP admirably after
colliding with the glider, why she obviously failed to give way is a
mystery.

Hey, Larry, this is right up your alley, but for the fact there is no
military involvement. Are you going to be as hard on the Hawker Chick as
you would on a Fighter Chick? ;

Jack
Old August 31st 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Kingfish

Larry Dighera wrote:

While pilot Annette Saunders handled her Hawker 800XP admirably after
colliding with the glider, why she obviously failed to give way is a
mystery.

Don't you have to *see* the other aircraft before you can give way? As
has been mentioned by other posters in this thread, if the glider
didn't have a transponder the jet's TCAS wouldn't have seen it, and the
glider's profile might make it hard to spot. Why do you automatically
assume the Hawker pilot is at fault?

Old August 31st 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_2_]

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...

Larry Dighera wrote:

While pilot Annette Saunders handled her Hawker 800XP admirably after
colliding with the glider, why she obviously failed to give way is a
mystery.

Don't you have to *see* the other aircraft before you can give way? As
has been mentioned by other posters in this thread, if the glider
didn't have a transponder the jet's TCAS wouldn't have seen it, and the
glider's profile might make it hard to spot. Why do you automatically
assume the Hawker pilot is at fault?

Yes you have to look out the front and scan to see other aircraft.

Because she is a woman JOKING.
Hope that reporter does not read this.
From now on in I think I will enjoy baiting reporters with bull**** to see
if they report it.

Lets see I am in a jet doing 300 knots descending I believe I am under IFR
control and the ATC would advised of traffic!

Old August 31st 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
alexy

"Kingfish" wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:

While pilot Annette Saunders handled her Hawker 800XP admirably after
colliding with the glider, why she obviously failed to give way is a
mystery.

Don't you have to *see* the other aircraft before you can give way? As
has been mentioned by other posters in this thread, if the glider
didn't have a transponder the jet's TCAS wouldn't have seen it, and the
glider's profile might make it hard to spot. Why do you automatically
assume the Hawker pilot is at fault?

Is there a hard-to-see exception in the right of way rules?

Everyone is focusing on how hard a glider is to see in
straight-and-level flight head-on. It seems far more likely that this
was not head on. From the glider's perspective the jet was an unmoving
object somewhere in the sky, while from the jet's perspective, the
glider was a moving object directly ahead.

Will be interesting to hear the glider pilot's perspective of where
and from what angle he was hit.
Old August 31st 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Dighera

On 31 Aug 2006 05:53:22 -0700, "Kingfish" wrote
in . com:

Larry Dighera wrote:

While pilot Annette Saunders handled her Hawker 800XP admirably after
colliding with the glider, why she obviously failed to give way is a
mystery.

Don't you have to *see* the other aircraft before you can give way?

Unless TCAS or radar vectors are involved, yes.

As has been mentioned by other posters in this thread, if the glider
didn't have a transponder the jet's TCAS wouldn't have seen it, and the
glider's profile might make it hard to spot.

Agreed.

Why do you automatically assume the Hawker pilot is at fault?

Because it is my understanding that federal regulations grant gliders
right-of-way over powered aircraft.
Old August 31st 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Kingfish

Larry Dighera wrote:
Why do you automatically assume the Hawker pilot is at fault?

Because it is my understanding that federal regulations grant gliders
right-of-way over powered aircraft.

That is my understanding too, but that goes back to my original point
of ceding right of way. If the jet pilot didn't see the glider (until
it was too late?) how would she have given way to it? This sounds to me
like a classic see-and-avoid issue resulting in a MAC with,
fortunately, no loss of life.

Old August 31st 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Kingfish

alexy wrote:

Is there a hard-to-see exception in the right of way rules?

No, but there is a physical limitation to the Mk1 Mod1 Eyeball - which,
in the absence of any usable TCAS type equipment is all you have.

Everyone is focusing on how hard a glider is to see in
straight-and-level flight head-on. It seems far more likely that this
was not head on. From the glider's perspective the jet was an unmoving
object somewhere in the sky, while from the jet's perspective, the
glider was a moving object directly ahead.

And you know this...how? It's all speculation until both pilots are
interviewed and their accounts are made public.

Will be interesting to hear the glider pilot's perspective of where
and from what angle he was hit.

Agreed. There might be a lesson in this for all pilots.

Old August 31st 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
alexy

"Kingfish" wrote:

alexy wrote:

Is there a hard-to-see exception in the right of way rules?

No, but there is a physical limitation to the Mk1 Mod1 Eyeball - which,
in the absence of any usable TCAS type equipment is all you have.

Everyone is focusing on how hard a glider is to see in
straight-and-level flight head-on. It seems far more likely that this
was not head on. From the glider's perspective the jet was an unmoving
object somewhere in the sky, while from the jet's perspective, the
glider was a moving object directly ahead.

And you know this...how?

Assuming by "this" you are referring to what I wrote (that it seems
more likely), I know this just from the common knowledge that biz jets
spend a very large portion of their time in straight or gently turning
flight and gliders spend a large portion of their time turing, Also,
that at their relative speeds, it is almost as easy for the jet to
broadside the glider as to hit it headon.

It's all speculation until both pilots are
interviewed and their accounts are made public.

Absolutely. That's why I limited my comment to what seemed more likely
to me, with no broader claim.