I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

Old May 21st 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Default I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs
Old May 21st 17, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Sunday, 21 May 2017 10:26:45 UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

Hope about Utah? Nephi and/or Logan come to mind
Old May 22nd 17, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 12:41:48 PM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Sunday, 21 May 2017 10:26:45 UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

Hope about Utah? Nephi and/or Logan come to mind

How about Flagstaff, AZ? I observed great conditions there plus there is a large college (NAU) in town with lots of potential students.
Uli
'AS'
Old May 22nd 17, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:26:45 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

Sorry to hear this Gary. Nephi only is within an hour's drive of 1.5 million people. Millions more pass through for vacation every year. Is that enough? Let's talk my friend. Would love to help where I can.

Bruno - B4
Old May 22nd 17, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
howard banks

I got to this thread a bit late, but Nephi. It cries out for a full-time operation. And the local govt seems really cooperative. Ask Bruno or Ron for guidance. Go see this year's camp.
Old May 22nd 17, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:33:45 PM UTC-6, howard banks wrote:
I got to this thread a bit late, but Nephi. It cries out for a full-time operation. And the local govt seems really cooperative. Ask Bruno or Ron for guidance. Go see this year's camp.

Gary,
I agree with Howard on Nephi, but another location you may want to consider would be Durango, CO. I know that Val-Air is gone, but perhaps another airport could be used (there are two in the area). The business at Val-Air was primarily rides and there are definitely a lot of folks who visit the area, especially during the summertime, that could be potential ride customers. It may be another "candidate" location in which you might want to take a close look!
Good luck on your search! Renny
Old May 22nd 17, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

There's an airport along the river just south of Durango which would be
a great location. I'm currently in Nephi and it, too, is a terrific
location and listen to Bruno - he knows what he's talking about.
Finally, I understand Soaring NV in Minden is for sale. Having flown at
all three locations, I'd vote for Nephi for the stunning scenery and
friendly people and fields so close to the mountains. Only down side is
the lack of good beer (or so I've been told).

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 22nd 17, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:26:45 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

While I like Nephi, you might consider Hurricane, UT for a ride operation. 20 miles west Zion National Park. Becoming a pretty good tourist destination.
Old May 22nd 17, 08:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

If you can work with the airport management and ATC, Aspen Colorado.

I Flew for Dieter Bibbig at Gliders Aspen for 5 seasons and the ride business was outstanding. Immediately adjacent to town, jaw-dropping scenery and tons of tourists with large sums of fun-money. We were booked pretty much solid two gliders, 7 days a week, 6 hrs a a day, for 3 months.

Very busy, tower-controlled airport, 8700' msl and real-deal alpine soaring.. LOA with the airport was to never take landing precedence over power traffic and especially the airlines. Not a trivial place to operate but there is lots of money to be made, fantastic soaring, and a world-class place to spend the soaring season.

We flew a Blanik and a 2-33 but glass would be far more suitable.

Also agree about Durango, Hurricane, and anywhere on the Wasatch Front.

A few no one mentioned: Moab, Vail, Telluride, Cody, Mammoth, Taos, Bisbee.. Sedona if you do not value your life too much....,

Sadly no snakes in ASE to entertain your friends with, Gary....😎

Old May 22nd 17, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:26:45 AM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

How about something around Tucson?