I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

Old May 24th 17, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:26:45 AM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

How about Sunriver Airport, Oregon?
Old May 24th 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Romeo Zulu

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:26:45 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

Somebody mentioned Durango and, while I would love to have an operation in Durango, there is no suitable airport in Durango. Animas Airpark (OOC)has a 50' runway with elevated runway lights. Durango LaPlata (DRO)has 13 to 15 scheduled flights coming and going each day. The first time a towing operation held up an RJ they would throw you out. You should have heard the stink a proposed skydiving operation caused. It was instantly crushed.

Moab (CNY) would be an excellent choice. They have a nice runway that's aligned with the prevailing winds. I also bet that they have 100 times the tourist traffic that Nephi has. You could sell a lot of rides. They are very recreation oriented at the airport with active skydiving operations.

Sign me

Self Launching in Durango
Old May 24th 17, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 8:28:35 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:26:45 AM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

How about Sunriver Airport, Oregon?

Sunriver Soaring bellied up a few years ago. Big Yellow Bird is currently privately owned and flying at my club. It was purchased from a bank auction of equipment. Of course, that may have been poor management, lousy market, and bad market timing.

Frank Whiteley
Old May 24th 17, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:26:45 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

I already spoke with Gary about Boulder, CO. Mile High Gliding has been for sale, but now the owner is willing just to sell the business without the equipment or whatever. They brag on being open 364 days a year. The gift certificate market seems good also.

The real drawback is that people are paying up to $750K for a house and razing it to build anew.

Some pilots have sold out of Boulder and moved a town or two away.
Old May 24th 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Cost of living is a problem in several places mentioned and especially Aspen.
Old May 25th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Salida Colorado? Tourist and Retirement Town with a nice underutilized airport and a reputation for 'Adventure Sports'. A couple of self-launch gliders live there already.
Old May 25th 17, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I recall landing there one day with winds 32 G 50 kts across the runway
(don't know the exact angle). Sporty to say the least. But it's a
terrific place to fly!

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 26th 17, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How about Minden? Silvio and I have been looking for a buyer for SoaringNV.

Laurie
Old May 26th 17, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've heard Rick at Sundance hinting that he'd like to retire. Look them
up ONLINE http://www.soarsundance.com/ and give him a call. BTW, that
was me flying the tug. 8-)

Sundance Aviation, Moriarty Municipal Airport, New Mexico - a hotbed of
gliding activity.

Old May 27th 17, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

When I was there 2 yrs ago Moab had a plane and pilot that towed a local glider once in a while.