Beeping Thing

Old February 14th 05, 11:40 PM
Slick

Default Beeping Thing

I can't figure out what this beeping thing was that I encountered the other
day while flying a 172 from our club. I'm a fresh private and I took my
parents to Mansfield airport for Sunday morning breakfast. When we left on
runway 14 This beeping thing came on. I think it's a DME. I've seen one in
use before, but I couldn't figure it out and it scared my mother half to
death, (She thought it was a sound that meant the engine was about to die).
How do I turn it off? This plane is equipped with the standard NAV/COM, it
has an ADF and Garmin GPS with moving map. I tried Flipping all kinds of
switches to turn it off and I couldn't figure it out. I knew it was a marker
of sorts, so I knew it would go away, I just hoped it would go away fast to
ease everyone anxiety. Any tips on how to turn it off?

Old February 14th 05, 11:50 PM
Stephen McNaught

Slick,

You should be able to find your specifics in the POH for the airplane. If
it's the marker beacon that you're hearing, depending on the audio panel in
the airplane, there is probably a mute button for it, or you could
"deselect" the MKR button.

- Steve

"Slick" wrote in message ...
[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old February 14th 05, 11:58 PM
Mike W.

Marker beacon, used for instrument approaches. Usually at the top of the
radio stack, may be incorporated into the audio panel. Look for blue, orange
and white lights. Should be a volume knob/power switch to turn it down/off
if it is a seperate unit. If it's a part of the audio panel, you will have
to find the appropriate switch (do it while on the ground, before you start
up) to turn the audio off. Either way, it's nothing to worry about.
BTW, are you talking about MFD?

Old February 15th 05, 12:28 AM
Robert M. Gary

Does your field have an ILS approach for instrument landings? If so its
probably the marker beacons. They can sound like a really nasty alarm
going off when you fly over them. Either you have "marker" turned on on
your audio panel or you are flying a typically rental 172 and the
radios don't do exactely as they are told. We have a Cherokee I teach
in that requires you to dial 1 MHz more than the freq (KX-170B). So for
118.32 you have to dial 119.32. I'd never allow such things in my
Mooney but you have to break even in the renal market.

-Robert, CFI

Old February 15th 05, 12:45 AM
Stephen McNaught

If (s)he's refering to K1B9, Mansfield, Mass., then it does not have an
ILS. Don't know when the beeping was heard, but there are other airports in
the area that do have ILS approaches.

- Steve

oups.com...

Old February 15th 05, 01:29 AM

Robert M. Gary wrote:
but you have to break even in the renal market.

-Robert, CFI

If I'm going sell my kidneys I'd better do a whole lot better than just
break even.

a.

Old February 15th 05, 01:55 AM
Mike W.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert M. Gary wrote:
but you have to break even in the renal market.

-Robert, CFI

If I'm going sell my kidneys I'd better do a whole lot better than just
break even.

a.

HHAAaaa HHaaaaaa!

Old February 15th 05, 02:23 AM

Slick wrote:
[...]

I would have thought that during your 40-50 hours of pilot training a
good instructor would have shot a few approaches during duel lessons
and you would have been aware of a outer marker passage.

Ben Haas N801BH

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Old February 15th 05, 02:52 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, " said:
I would have thought that during your 40-50 hours of pilot training a
good instructor would have shot a few approaches during duel lessons
and you would have been aware of a outer marker passage.

My instructor never taught me how to duel. That's why both of us are
still alive.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Alt.sysadmin.recovery: You will not soon find a more wretched hive of