Leaning Procedure for a Carbureted 182

Old June 30th 05, 11:19 AM
Thomas Borchert

Juan,

Running rich of peak
aviods the peak settings that can overheat things and do damage.

Not at all true. In fact, completely false. Sorry.

Come on, Thomas. What in the world makes you think that the effects of heat
due to leaning to peak EGT at high power settings are NOT going to create
problems for the engine? This is common knowledge -- the closer your EGT
gets to 1600 degF for extended periods, the higher the chances your engine
will not reach or exceed TBO.

The absolute worst place to run your engine with regard to extreme numbers
(temperatures AND pressures) is the 50 degree rich of peak area. That is in
direct contradiction to your statement above. And that's what my comment
referred to. The key temp to manage is cylinder head temp, not EGT.

Running at peak EGT at high power settings for
extended periods -will- have a negative effect on your engine. That's why
none of the manufacturers recommend doing this.

Define "high". The manufacturer's absolutely do recomment running at peak EGT
at their recommended cruise power setting. They call that the "best economy"
setting.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 30th 05, 11:19 AM
Thomas Borchert

Juan,

Running lean of peak also
results in reduced performance, rough engine operation in many cases and
shortened TBO due to the above-mentioned oxidative attack of exhaust and
combustion chamber components. Running lean of peak also has another side
effect, increase in oil acidity, which causes oxidation in engine internal
components (same thing happens if you don't operate the engine often enough
to burn off any condensation in the oil).

Care to back these statements up with numbers?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 30th 05, 11:19 AM
Thomas Borchert

Juan,

You DO have to be concerned about running too lean, which is
why Continental does not recommend leaning for extended periods of time at
high power settings (above 65%).

Ok, I'll try again. The point is to run at the right mixture setting. That
might be very rich of peak or lean of peak. Whichever you chose, "too lean"
is not the answer to "what's dangerous?".

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 1st 05, 03:08 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Juan,

Running rich of peak
aviods the peak settings that can overheat things and do damage.

Not at all true. In fact, completely false. Sorry.

Come on, Thomas. What in the world makes you think that the effects of
heat
due to leaning to peak EGT at high power settings are NOT going to create
problems for the engine? This is common knowledge -- the closer your EGT
gets to 1600 degF for extended periods, the higher the chances your
engine
will not reach or exceed TBO.

The absolute worst place to run your engine with regard to extreme numbers
(temperatures AND pressures) is the 50 degree rich of peak area.

I never said the engine should be run 50 degrees rich of peak. You're the
one that's saying something totally different, that running lean of peak is
good for the engine, which it is not.

Running at peak EGT at high power settings for
extended periods -will- have a negative effect on your engine. That's why
none of the manufacturers recommend doing this.

Define "high". The manufacturer's absolutely do recomment running at peak
EGT
at their recommended cruise power setting. They call that the "best
economy"
setting.

No, they do not. And if you want to play Clinton games, define "absolutely."
And RTFM the manual for the engine.

Old July 1st 05, 03:10 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Juan,

Running lean of peak also
results in reduced performance, rough engine operation in many cases and
shortened TBO due to the above-mentioned oxidative attack of exhaust and
combustion chamber components. Running lean of peak also has another side
effect, increase in oil acidity, which causes oxidation in engine
internal
components (same thing happens if you don't operate the engine often
enough
to burn off any condensation in the oil).

Care to back these statements up with numbers?

Don't need to, Kas Thomas and the manufacturers and engineers who analyze
this sort of thing already did. You got any evidence to the contrary other
than digital saliva, go ahead and show it. Get yourself a copy of 101+ Ways
to Extend The Life Of Your Engine and educate yourself, Thomas.

Old July 1st 05, 03:12 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Juan,

You DO have to be concerned about running too lean, which is
why Continental does not recommend leaning for extended periods of time
at
high power settings (above 65%).

Ok, I'll try again. The point is to run at the right mixture setting. That
might be very rich of peak or lean of peak. Whichever you chose, "too
lean"
is not the answer to "what's dangerous?".

The context is a carbureted 182, an O-470. For the specific model mentioned
in this thread, neither the manufacturer nor TBO Advisor recommends running
lean of peak, period, or at peak EGT at power settings over 65%.

Old July 1st 05, 08:35 AM
Thomas Borchert

Juan,

You got any evidence to the contrary other
than digital saliva, go ahead and show it.

http://www.gami.com/frames.htm

Your god is Kas Thomas. Mine isn't ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 1st 05, 11:36 PM
Juan Jimenez

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Juan,

You got any evidence to the contrary other
than digital saliva, go ahead and show it.

http://www.gami.com/frames.htm

Your god is Kas Thomas. Mine isn't ;-)

Then talk to your priest and switch bibles, kiddo, because the data on this
web does not support your assertions. It's not even close. Heck, you didn't
even bother to check to see if the engine that is the subject of this thread
is on the approved list for the GAMI products!

Sorry to shoot you down like that, but that's what happens when you don't do
your homework.

Juan

Old July 2nd 05, 09:04 AM
Thomas Borchert

Juan,

Then talk to your priest and switch bibles, kiddo,

"Kiddo", huh? So now all you have left is to become condescending? Usenet is
just so much fun.

because the data on this
web does not support your assertions. It's not even close.

Guess you need reading lessons, kiddo (see, I can do it, too).

Heck, you didn't
even bother to check to see if the engine that is the subject of this thread
is on the approved list for the GAMI products!

The subject of the thread went from a specific engine to general leaning
procedures real quick (read it). I NEVEr claimed that GAMIjectors were for
O-470s. The general principles still hold. And your claim of "richer is cooler"
is still not true.

Sorry to shoot you down like that,

Excuse me?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 3rd 05, 02:57 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

because the data on this
web does not support your assertions. It's not even close.

Guess you need reading lessons, kiddo (see, I can do it, too).

But you can't back it up with facts, kiddo. I can.

Heck, you didn't
even bother to check to see if the engine that is the subject of this
thread
is on the approved list for the GAMI products!

The subject of the thread went from a specific engine to general leaning
procedures real quick (read it). I NEVEr claimed that GAMIjectors were for
O-470s. The general principles still hold. And your claim of "richer is
cooler"
is still not true.

The subject of this thread never left the issue of leaning carbureted
engines before you started talking about LOP leaning. LOP is only for some
fuel injected engines, and only those with very exact fuel metering and the
right hardware to monitor what's going on in each cylinder. And now you're
saying I'm claiming richer is cooler? chuckle I had no idea you liked
musical chairs so much. I guess the shoe does fit.

Sorry to shoot you down like that,

Excuse me?

Pick up your parachute before you leave the room. I made my point, I'm outta
here. :P

Juan