Should We Bomb Syria and Iran?

Old October 15th 03, 02:25 PM
John S. Shinal

(Rob van Riel) wrote:

"Bill Silvey"
Indeed. I'd much rather see Iran as a U.S. ally than not. The current
Iranian "Generation-X" pretty much despises the Mullahs that run the
country, and as often as they can (and in private) embrace western values.

I might be delusional about all this, but my feeling is that if we all
leave Iran in peace, in something like 20 years it could turn into a
thoughroughly modern state. Still predominantly islamic, but the way
many Western nations are predominantly christian, rather than the
fundamantalist islam of the ayatollahs. Much as I dislike what
happened there in the past, Iran might be our best hope of introducing
a stable factor in the region, compatible with the Western way of
doing things.

And especially next to a (hopefully) stable Iraq. Saudi Arabia
is about to hold elections, and I think it's safe to say their
government is going to wobble around some as they move away from a
tightly controlled monarchy. A developing Iran, a rebuilding Iraq
could make Syria a little more likely to negotiate and be peaceable
when they see their neighbors doing well.

At this point I have precious little faith in the State Dept
being able to do anything in this regard, though.

Old October 15th 03, 03:28 PM
phil hunt

On 15 Oct 2003 04:15:44 -0700, Rob van Riel wrote:
"Bill Silvey" wrote in message .com...
Indeed. I'd much rather see Iran as a U.S. ally than not. The current
Iranian "Generation-X" pretty much despises the Mullahs that run the
country, and as often as they can (and in private) embrace western values.

I might be delusional about all this, but my feeling is that if we all
leave Iran in peace, in something like 20 years it could turn into a
thoughroughly modern state.

I think you're probably right here.

(My real email address would be if you added 275
to it and reversed the last two letters).

Old October 15th 03, 05:49 PM
phil hunt

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:02:55 -0500, tscottme wrote:

Syria also houses the headquarters for organizations that have killed
more Americans than anyone else, prior to Sept 11. Time to punish Syria
for what is doing and hasn't done. I haven't even brought up the few
billion dollars of "super notes" that they counterfeit each year.

What are "super notes"? US currency?

Old October 15th 03, 07:41 PM
Alan Minyard

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:51:34 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
Alan Minyard wrote:

Israel is just as guilty as the Palestinians when it comes to the
causes of terrorism. When will they learn that killing teenage girls
and bulldozing homes is not conducive to peace?

When the teenage girls stop wearing suicide bombs and when the homes
don't conceal tunnels used to smugle weapons and drugs.

Condemning an entire race because of the misdeeds of a few is a recipe
for disaster.

Al Minyard
Old October 15th 03, 07:49 PM
Alan Minyard

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:16:18 -0500, "tscottme"
wrote:

There are numerous examples of Israel pulling back or helping the
"palestinians" only to have that be taken as a sign of weakness and
increased terrorism followed. For Pete's sake the Israelis equipped the
PA police, they pulled out of Lebanon behind UN mandated lines, left the
West Bank until attacks forced them to return.

Israel is only further along the same path the US has just started on
fighting terrorism.

There already is a palestinian state, it's called Jordan. The
Hashemites should pick up their toys and return to the Arabian
peninsula.

Israel is not a proponent of peace. They, like the Palestinians, seek
the utter destruction of their "enemies". The settlements in
Palestinian territory illustrate this. "Let he who is without sin cast
the first stone".

Al Minyard
Old October 15th 03, 08:28 PM
Simon Robbins

"tscottme" wrote in message
You must be an serious medication if you think the Arabs are waiting to
make that decision. Time to do what is necessary and forget if they
like it when we do it.

And your "what is necessary" will likely earn yourself and your descendants
a hundred years of justifiable hatred and payback by people who largely
couldn't give a damn at present. Any idea that the entire Muslim world is
ready to pick up arms against America at the first chance is simply a
product of your Department of Homeland Insecurity. We're still talking
about a tiny minority that view us all with anything more than a mild
suspicion.

Si

Old October 15th 03, 10:14 PM
Rob van Riel

"tscottme" wrote in message ...
perfect for them. Oh well they aren't living 500 years in the past by
accident.

You do realise you're talking about a nation that is building its own
jet powered fighters, don't you. If that's their version of 1500 AD,
I'd really like to see how advanced they'll be when they catch up with
the rest of the world chronologically.

Too bad Iran is actively trying to get nukes and spreading terrorism in
the meantime.

Good idea, trying to get their own nukes, as there are several nuclear
tipped nations making nasty threats against them. We'll talk about the
terrorism bit after you dig up some some reliable (that is, in this
case, not US government sponsored) evidence of that.

Maybe we can reach an agreement with the mullahs where
the Iranians only attack Europeans while Americans go back to ignoring
the world.

I can't recall hearing any mullah screaming for my blood recently. Or
that of Americans, for that matter.
On the other hand, I've heard plenty of Americans screaming for
theirs. I'm sure there's a conclusion in those observations, but I'll
ignore it for now.

Rob
Old October 16th 03, 12:12 AM
Chad Irby

Alan Minyard wrote:

Israel is just as guilty as the Palestinians when it comes to the
causes of terrorism. When will they learn that killing teenage girls
and bulldozing homes is not conducive to peace?

When the teenage girls stop wearing suicide bombs and when the homes
don't conceal tunnels used to smugle weapons and drugs.

Condemning an entire race because of the misdeeds of a few is a recipe
for disaster.

But condemning political organizations like the Palestinian ones for
continual support of that terror is certainly not.

If the Palestinians want to be known for something other than insane
murdering suicide attacks, they have to *stop* doing so, and the regular
people in the street have to stop *supporting* those organizations.

As things stand now, your "a few" comment is just plain silly.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old October 16th 03, 12:13 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
Alan Minyard wrote:

Israel is not a proponent of peace. They, like the Palestinians, seek
the utter destruction of their "enemies".

You can tell this by the way the Israelis tend to target terrorist
leaders and support systems, while the Palestinians tend to target buses
and restaurants...

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.