Is a state record for sports class triangle a "handicappeddistance"??

Old August 24th 09, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spam

Default Is a state record for sports class triangle a "handicappeddistance"??

Hi,

I'm hoping to go after a state triangle record for sports class.
Obviously the speed would be handicapped....but is the distance
handicapped as well???
Old August 24th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

A quick look at the US State rules PDF file from the SSA site, shows
that both distance and speed are calculated. This under section 6.3.d.
Basically, you calculate the handicapped distance (HMI) first by
multiplying the distance by the handicap. Then you calculate the
handicap speed (HMPH) by dividing the handicapped distance by the task
duration.

Charlie

Old August 24th 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Aug 24, 8:20*am, Spam wrote:
Hi,

I'm hoping to go after a state triangle record for sports class.
Obviously the speed would be handicapped....but is the distance
handicapped as well???

Yes. The order in which the calculations are performed is:

- Calculate nominal distance (non-handicapped distance)
- Multiply nominal distance by CH handicap factor (resulting in the
handicapped distance) which determines the distance category (100K,
200K, 300K, 500K, etc.)
- Divide the handicapped distance by the time to obtain speed.

So, if you are flying a glider with a 1.1 CH handicap, then you can
fly (for example) a triangle of 273 km which would be a handicapped
300K.

Erik Mann
SSA Badge and Record Committee

Old August 24th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 24, 7:13*am, Papa3 wrote:
On Aug 24, 8:20*am, Spam wrote:

Hi,

I'm hoping to go after a state triangle record for sports class.
Obviously the speed would be handicapped....but is the distance
handicapped as well???

Yes. * The order in which the calculations are performed is:

- * Calculate nominal distance (non-handicapped distance)
- * Multiply nominal distance by CH handicap factor (resulting in the
handicapped distance) which determines the distance category (100K,
200K, 300K, 500K, etc.)
- * Divide the handicapped distance by the time to obtain speed.

So, if you are flying a glider with a 1.1 CH handicap, then you can
fly (for example) a triangle of 273 km which would be a handicapped
300K.

Erik Mann
SSA Badge and Record Committee

Not specific to this question, but note that the State Record Keepers
Evaluation checklist is out of date regarding the general distance
evaluation margin.
Old August 27th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spam

OK...so, I went out and set a record. Then I came back and my
cambridge 302 said "security fail" when downloading the flight.
However, it downloaded just fine to the OLC.

Anyone have any suggestions of how to get the file out correctly?

Old August 27th 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I recommend re-trying the download several times. It may work after a few
more tries. If not, it may be possible to have the recorder "re-sealed" and
still get a valid flight log out of it. Cambridge can re-seal it for you.
So can any Cambridge dealer. This seems to be a fairly rare bug.

Does the 302 LCD display show that the unit has a valid seal?

I'm surprised the file worked on the OLC.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old August 27th 09, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spam

HI Paul,

Thanks for your advice. I will go out to the airport today and try to
download the flight again several times. If not theres the cambridge
factory 10 minutes from my house I will pay them a visit.

On the takeoff roll, I hit some major bumps which sent things flying
around the cockpit. I think the cable between the 302 and the ipaq
got knocked loose. I had to reset everything airborne. I did this
before I went out on task.

Scott
Old August 28th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

Download it anyway and check the file with the Cambridge validating file
(Valicam2.exe)--(see Cambridge website or FAI website)
File may be OK anyway---I've had that happen with a 302.

--
Hartley Falbaum

Old August 28th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

So, if you are flying a glider with a 1.1 CH handicap, then you can
fly (for example) a triangle of 273 km which would be a handicapped
300K.

Recheck the rules...they also say that the distance cannot be less
than the "nominal" distance

(ii. Calculate Handicapped Speed: Verify that the Handicapped Distance
is not less than the required record task length),

so in your example, you still need to fly the full 300KM.

This rule would also require a .80 long winged ship to fly 1200KM for
his 1000KM record.

Personally I disagree with this implementation. Speed records (which
are all for "fixed" distances) should be flown at the stated nominal
distance (e.g. 500km) and the resulting performance (speed) then
handicapped. As currently written, you cannot lay out a 100KM
triangle and attack it with various ships/pilots and compare
handicapped performance. Soaring is the only sport I know that does
this kind of handicapping. Every other "racing" sport pits speed
against a fixed course (distance) and handicaps the result (e.g. .25
mile drag racing, Solo II car events, or even a Assigned Task in
Sports Class)

Unless you fly the 1.0 scratch ship, you are either penalized by
flying further than the nominal distance (significant at longer
distances, e.g. 1000km) or fly extra "handicapped distance". If you
want to pit the .8 ship vs the 1.2 ship together on one day, they
should be required to fly the exact same course.
Old August 28th 09, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I'm sorry, but disagree with how you are interpreting the rule. It says
only that the Handicapped Distance is not less than the required full task
length. For example. If you are flying a glider with a handicap of 0.89,
the handicapped distance would be 300 k / 0.89 = 337.1 k. So the minimum
300 K triangle distance for a Sport Class state record in that glider would
be 337.1 km. A short winged glider (like the one you mention below) would
need to fly only 273 km. The only number to be compared to the "task
distance" (300 k triangle for example) is the handicapped distance. There
is no mention of comparing the raw or actual distance to the "task
distance".

I like the rule. It makes the playing field more level. Even with the
handicapping it is still easier for the high performance ship to make it
around the longer course - for several reasons. For example, the long
winged glider has a much higher chance of bumping into good lift and can go
further between good thermals.

The rule applies only to the Sports Class records. All other records (Open,
15m, Standard Class, Double-seater) are not handicapped at all.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde