M & D jet receives EASA Type Certificate

Old December 3rd 15, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default M & D jet receives EASA Type Certificate

http://translate.google.de/translate...html?news=1991

Interesting announcement. Let the retro fits begin!

Old December 3rd 15, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 2:28:10 PM UTC, wrote:
http://translate.google.de/translate...html?news=1991

Interesting announcement. Let the retro fits begin!

It might be worthy of note by current pre-certification MDTJ-42 users that although all the early information that said it could be run on Jet A1 or diesel the type certification specifies only diesel fuel. I understand that all the certification testing was done using diesel. To copy and paste from an email from M+D:

"only the use of diesel fuel is approved! FYI: through the use of A1, the warranty will be void!"

John Galloway
Old December 3rd 15, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 6:28:10 AM UTC-8, wrote:
http://translate.google.de/translate...html?news=1991

Interesting announcement. Let the retro fits begin!

What is the maximum range of the JS1 with that engine, and what cruising speed achieves that range?

Old December 3rd 15, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On https://translate.google.ca/translat...e/&prev=search there is a pilot report, in part "He is strong and has sufficient fuel (Diesel) from 100 to 200 km, depending on usage patterns on board." I imagine you can go a shorter distance faster, or cruise economically longer (and higher).
Old December 3rd 15, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 8:32:48 PM UTC, Dan Daly wrote:
On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 2:36:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 6:28:10 AM UTC-8, wrote:
http://translate.google.de/translate...html?news=1991

Interesting announcement. Let the retro fits begin!

What is the maximum range of the JS1 with that engine, and what cruising speed achieves that range?

On https://translate.google.ca/translat...e/&prev=search there is a pilot report, in part "He is strong and has sufficient fuel (Diesel) from 100 to 200 km, depending on usage patterns on board." I imagine you can go a shorter distance faster, or cruise economically longer (and higher).

The most recent range estimates from JS that I have available, using 40 available litres fuel from the 43 litre tanks, show:

around 100Km level flight @ 210pkh (114 knots) at 95,000 rpm full power

around 150km level flight @ 150kph (80 knots) at 75,000 rpm

around 200km single climb at 2m/s cruising @ 138kph (75knots) and full power, then gliding at best LD.

By my reckoning these estimates are rather conservative based on a fuel flow of 67 litres per hour at full power that I see indicated on the control unit in flight and the fact that the performance and climb rates seem to match well with the claims. For the climb and glide scenario that should give 80km range while climbing 4000m and a further 200km in the glide at 50:1

Old December 3rd 15, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It might be worthy of note by current pre-certification MDTJ-42 users that although all the early information that said it could be run on Jet A1 or diesel the type certification specifies only diesel fuel. I understand that all the certification testing was done using diesel. To copy and paste from an email from M+D:

"only the use of diesel fuel is approved! FYI: through the use of A1, the warranty will be void!"

John Galloway

So do you have to add anything to the "out of the pump" diesel?
Old December 4th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 2:36:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Assuming, of course, that it actually starts!

Mike
Old December 4th 15, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

The sound of this Jet JS-1 doing a low pass flyby is over the top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKP8JX7j8Zg
Old December 4th 15, 10:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

44 all successful starts so far for me Mike.

4% oil is added to the fuel.
Old December 4th 15, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Does anyone have a performance chart for this jet engine showing what the max altitude is one can reasonably expect it to fire up?