2.4 hours - no oil/grease on prop/windshield

Old September 29th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default 2.4 hours - no oil/grease on prop/windshield

Well, we flew 2.4 hours today, in VERY cold (19 degree) air temps. Got
done, carefully inspected the prop, cowling and windshield -- no
oil/grease found.

What's up with THAT? How could my prop leak just "heal itself"?

Not that I'm complaining, mind you -- but I get skeptical when things
suddenly right themselves for no apparent reason.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 29th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-09-29, Jay Honeck wrote:
Well, we flew 2.4 hours today, in VERY cold (19 degree) air temps. Got
done, carefully inspected the prop, cowling and windshield -- no
oil/grease found.

When my prop governor was leaking it always leaked more in warm weather.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 29th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

It is not at all uncommon for leaks to come and go like that. Its
just a sign that you need to keep a close eye on it and be ready
for possible repair or overhaul in the future.

Old September 29th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
Well, we flew 2.4 hours today, in VERY cold (19 degree) air temps. Got
done, carefully inspected the prop, cowling and windshield -- no
oil/grease found.

What's up with THAT? How could my prop leak just "heal itself"?

Not that I'm complaining, mind you -- but I get skeptical when things
suddenly right themselves for no apparent reason.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay, I had some similar issues with my prop years ago. I was on a trip
to KC MO and had an oil spray on the windshield. It turned out to be a
leak though the hub which was fixed on the plane. No more spray. I do
have little streak of grease/oil from the hub along the blade, but they
happen infrequently. My A&P and another A&P do not seem concerned about it.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Old September 29th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle P

Jay Honeck wrote:
Well, we flew 2.4 hours today, in VERY cold (19 degree) air temps. Got
done, carefully inspected the prop, cowling and windshield -- no
oil/grease found.

What's up with THAT? How could my prop leak just "heal itself"?

Not that I'm complaining, mind you -- but I get skeptical when things
suddenly right themselves for no apparent reason.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,
I got oil on my windshield once. The Governor was loose. What color is
the oil on the windshield? Some on the props have red dyed oil in them
so you can tell the difference between engine oil and prop oil...

Michelle P
Old September 29th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug[_1_]

Congratulations! Now you can put the "oh no I need a new engine because
of a bad front main seal" worry on the back burner.

You know how you can tell an owner from a renter when something goes
wrong with the plane in the air?

A renter says, "Oh no, I'm going to die."

An owner says, "Oh no, I wonder how much THIS is going to cost me?"

Isn't aircraft ownership grand?

Old September 29th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-09-29, Doug wrote:

A renter says, "Oh no, I'm going to die."

An owner says, "Oh no, I wonder how much THIS is going to cost me?"

On one of the very first flights in my plane we were up doing short field
practice and I did one beautiful one and then my instructor was complacent
when I came in again and got too slow and really thumped in. We were
never in danger of injury, but the notion that I'd hurt my plane (fat
chance, it's way tougher than that!) was so distressing I could barely
fly. I'm glad I learned that lesson in a benign environment so I'll be
prepared to block out the trauma of airplane damage if it happens again!

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 30th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

On one of the very first flights in my plane we were up doing short field
practice and I did one beautiful one and then my instructor was complacent
when I came in again and got too slow and really thumped in. We were
never in danger of injury, but the notion that I'd hurt my plane (fat
chance, it's way tougher than that!) was so distressing I could barely
fly. I'm glad I learned that lesson in a benign environment so I'll be
prepared to block out the trauma of airplane damage if it happens again!

Isn't that the truth? I remember, as a young(er) new renter pilot, my
biggest concern was the embarassment of a bad landing. I just didn't
want other pilots seeing me plop it in, or screw up the cross wind
adjustment.

Now, I don't even think about that. All I care about now is the tires,
the brakes, the struts, the nosegear, the prop, the...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA