Parachute Required by Type Certificate

Old April 27th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Parachute Required by Type Certificate

Just a curiosity...

I fly a Slingsby T59-D Kestrel 19 in Canada. According to my Type
Certificate (G-93), a "back type parachute" is listed as required
equipment, along with basic instruments. So, a parachute must be worn
in order to fly the aircraft or I'm in violation of the TC. (The U.S.
TC for my ship is G27EU and does not require a parachute)

So, how many other aircraft out there have a legal requirement for the
pilot to wear a parachute?

Why would a CAA require some aircraft to have a parachute and others
not? Any rules as to which aircraft?

Odd things to be thinking about, but I haven't started flying yet this
season, and I'm getting antsy!
Old April 27th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

The US FARs require a 'chute if the manufacturer's Pilot's Operating
Handbook says it is required. The question is why the manufacturers
require it; it could be that the seat pan is designed to fit a parachute
and they don't supply a proper cushion. Or in otherwords, what is the
real meaning of "necessary?" This becomes even more curious in the case
of the PW-5; its POH is a translation and only the original text might
explain that.

I think you are stuck with what the manufacturer says regardless of why he
says it.

At 21:32 27 April 2009, wrote:
Just a curiosity...

I fly a Slingsby T59-D Kestrel 19 in Canada. According to my Type
Certificate (G-93), a "back type parachute" is listed as required
equipment, along with basic instruments. So, a parachute must be worn
in order to fly the aircraft or I'm in violation of the TC. (The U.S.
TC for my ship is G27EU and does not require a parachute)

So, how many other aircraft out there have a legal requirement for the
pilot to wear a parachute?

Why would a CAA require some aircraft to have a parachute and others
not? Any rules as to which aircraft?

Odd things to be thinking about, but I haven't started flying yet this
season, and I'm getting antsy!

Softie parachute EASA type certificate bjorn Soaring 2 January 25th 07 07:10 PM
ELT Required for all SSA sanctioned contests starting 2006 ELT Required for all SSA sanctione Steve Leonard Soaring 2 September 14th 05 03:49 AM
C182RG Type Certificate Data Sheets EDR Piloting 6 July 3rd 04 03:11 AM
new airmen certificate dave Piloting 12 January 16th 04 10:00 PM
certificate rue_blondel Piloting 9 September 1st 03 05:12 AM