Question on Cambridge 302/Glide Nav 2 combo

Old November 27th 13, 02:14 AM
JimF JimF is offline
Junior Member

Default Question on Cambridge 302/Glide Nav 2 combo

Hi, any owner/users of the CAI302 and GNii out there who could answer some noob questions please? I acquired a glider using this combination, will be trying it out this Spring, so far all my knowledge is from reading the manuals many times over.

First, here is a quote from the SSA badge guide:

"Do you transfer declarations to an FR using a PDA or after-market
software? These may over-write data in FR memory and/or limit the
number of characters transferred to any FR data field. Prior to
attempting any badge or record flight, test to make sure all required data
is correctly transferred to the FR; contact software vendor(s) for
guidance if needed."

Question 1: Applying this to the CA302, GN2- Does this mean a badge task should only be electronically declared with the CA302? And no other task entered in GN2?

Question 2: How do you electronically declare in the CA302? The GNll?

Question 3: GNll menu 4, what is the function of "IGC task declaration"

Thanks for any information. JimF
Old November 28th 13, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Jim,

Please see my comments below.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________

"JimF" wrote in message ...

Hi, any owner/users of the CAI302 and GNii out there who could answer
some noob questions please? I acquired a glider using this combination,
will be trying it out this Spring, so far all my knowledge is from
reading the manuals many times over.

First, here is a quote from the SSA badge guide:

"Do you transfer declarations to an FR using a PDA or after-market
software? These may over-write data in FR memory and/or limit the
number of characters transferred to any FR data field. Prior to
attempting any badge or record flight, test to make sure all required
data
is correctly transferred to the FR; contact software vendor(s) for
guidance if needed."

*** That just states that software can have bugs. Make sure the software
you use to send task declarations to any flight recorder works well before
you rely on it for a badge or record declaration.

Question 1: Applying this to the CA302, GN2- Does this mean a badge task
should only be electronically declared with the CA302?

*** Electronically is the only way to declare a task to a 302. It can be
done using the 300 Utility, or GN II software, or SeeYou on a PC, or SeeYou
Mobile on a PDA or Oudie. I have tested all those methods with a 302 and
they all work great.

And no other task entered in GN2?

*** The task entered into GN II has no impact on the flight declaration in
the 302. However, after you enter a task into GN II I think it asks you
whether or not you want to send it to the 302 as a task declaration. I
always did that when I flew with a 302 and GN II.

Question 2: How do you electronically declare in the CA302? The GNll?

*** See my note above.

Question 3: GNll menu 4, what is the function of "IGC task declaration"

*** The current task is sent to the 302 as an official task declaration. It
works great.

Thanks for any information. JimF

--
JimF

Old November 29th 13, 12:16 AM
JimF JimF is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Remde View Post
Hi Jim,

Please see my comments below.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

--
JimF
Thanks very much Paul, it's making more sense now. The simulation feature is nice but doesn't let you try out task declarations (menu 4), I'm looking forward to using this in the real world.