What flying is all about...

Old September 29th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default What flying is all about...

http://alexisparkinn.com/2006_madeline_island.htm

Finally got 'round to putting together these pix from our flight to
Madeline Island in June. What a great place to visit -- and what a
fantastic use for an airplane!

I wish I could show these photos to every pilot-wannabee in the U.S.
GA would be growing by leaps and bounds, if we could figure out a way
to get this message across...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 29th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

http://alexisparkinn.com/2006_madeline_island.htm

Finally got 'round to putting together these pix from our flight to
Madeline Island in June. What a great place to visit -- and what a
fantastic use for an airplane!

I wish I could show these photos to every pilot-wannabee in the U.S.
GA would be growing by leaps and bounds, if we could figure out a way
to get this message across...

I live in great leaf country in north central PA, but I have to be
honest that after looking at leaves for 40+ years from the ground and 28
or so from the air, they look better from the ground. Up close is
better for leaves. If my purpose is really looking at leaves, then I
much prefer a motorcycle tour than an airplane trip. Unless you fly
really, really low, they colors blend and get dull as you get higher.
They really stand out when you can see the individual leaves and trees.

Just my opinion ... and several folks that I've taken up to see the
leaves. They enjoy the flight, but often comment that the leaves look
better from their car.

Matt
Old September 29th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I live in great leaf country in north central PA, but I have to be
honest that after looking at leaves for 40+ years from the ground and 28
or so from the air, they look better from the ground. Up close is
better for leaves. If my purpose is really looking at leaves, then I
much prefer a motorcycle tour than an airplane trip. Unless you fly
really, really low, they colors blend and get dull as you get higher.
They really stand out when you can see the individual leaves and trees.

While I mostly agree, much of it depends on how low and slow you can
get.

For example, if you come over the bluffs near Prairie du Chien at
pattern altitude, you are less than 500 feet above them. If you hit
the right day, when the colors are at their peak, and with the sun at
the right angle, the explosion of colors is a view you simply can't get
from the ground.

It's the Holy Grail of leaf peeping, and I've only seen it once. But
that made it all worthwhile.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 29th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

...the explosion of colors is a view you simply can't get
from the ground.

It's the Holy Grail of leaf peeping, and I've only seen it once. But
that made it all worthwhile.

I'll attest to that! I had that experience flying up to Massachusetts
to meet a teacher who had outfitted the side of his school with a full
sized space shuttle simulator for his students. I did the entire flight
at five hundred feet at peak fall, and =every= hill was a new burst of
color. It was awesome - one of those "this is why I fly" flights.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).