Importing a glider from Canada to US

Old December 12th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Discusflyer

Default Importing a glider from Canada to US

can you help us with the steps and required paperwork
to import a canadian registered glider to the US?

Thanks, Steve

Old December 12th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Sam Discusflyer wrote:
can you help us with the steps and required paperwork
to import a canadian registered glider to the US?

From the archives:

keelstrake wrote:
I am about to buy a ship in Canada and bring it into the US.

I just completed such a purchase.

Compounding the fact that it is my first sailplane purchase is that I
have never been to Canada, let alone bought anything there. The owner
has a valid C of A issued by Transport Canada, the original export C of
A for the glider to Canada, all inspections and service history records
since the glider arrived in Canada, and a current flight manual.

Keep all that, though I don't think you'll need all of it.

Could folks from the forum please share their experiences and knowledge
regarding this process? Anything from what to do before leaving
(ship/trailer licensing, insurances, etc.); what to bring, or not to
bring, to pickup the ship; changing funds from US to Canadian dollars;
what to expect bringing the ship back into the US; any "I wish I had
done it this way" experiences.

1) The Canadian owner must get the glider "de-registered" in Canada by
contacting Transport Canada Civil Aviation. This is something he must
do, you cannot. Transport Canada will then notify the FAA.

2) You will need from the FAA the Bill of Sale form AC 8050-2 (not
available online) and the Aircraft Registration form AC 8050-1 (also
not available online).

3) If the glider was built from a kit you will need Affidavit of
Ownership for Amateur-Built Aircraft (not Light Sport) form AC 8050-88.

You must get this notarized (can be done after you get home).

3.5) Call the FAA. Double-check on all of the forms required for your
specific type of glider.

4) I recommend paying for the glider via a "wire transfer" prior to
picking up the glider. Of course this assumes that you've seen and
inspected it already. Talk to your bank. They know how to do this.
Agree with the current owner on the US/Canada dollar exchange rate. It

changes constantly. This will avoid anyone feeling disgruntled.

5) Make sure you have the current owner sign the Bill of sale for the
glider. Create a simple bill of sale for the trailer and also have him

sign that.

6) Regarding the trailer, first contact your state's Dept. of Transp.
to see what they require to get the trailer registered. In Michigan I
needed a bill of sale, the prior Canadian registration, and I had to
have the empty trailer weighed (the weighing can be done after you get
back home). I did not have or need any license plate on the trailer
while driving it from Canada to home.

7) Customs. You will need Customs form 7501 (available online) filled
out in order to get the trailer and glider through US customs. See the

online instructions and example. There will be no duty paid on either
item.

8) You can apply for an N-number now online via www.faa.gov

9) When you send in the forms to the FAA write in red "IMPORT" on
everything including the envelope. After you have received the
official registration from the FAA, then have your glider inspected by
your favorite licensed mechanic for airworthiness. You will need form
8130-6, Application for Airworthiness Certificate (available online).
After your mechanic is satisfied, only then send the form to your FAA
Flight Standards District Office. If you don't know yours, just ask
the FAA people, they are very helpful. It would be a good idea to talk

to your District Office in advance and let them know what you are
doing. They will send someone out to do a final inspection of the
glider after they receive form 8130-6. This must happen within 30 days

of your mechanic's inspection.

I may have forgotten something but I think I got the critical pieces.
The key to this is contacting each agency in advance if you have any
questions such as how to fill out a form or what forms/information you
will need.

Good luck!

Regards,

-Doug

p.s. Don't take anyone's word for what size ball the trailer hitch
needs. Check it yourself! Guess why I say this (hint, the safety
chains did their job).

Old December 12th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I purchased a Mini Nimbus in Canada about 10 years ago. I retained the
services of a broker physically located near where I would be bringing
the sailplane across the border. It was the best money I ever spent.
Not only did he do all the legwork relative to the importation, but he
had the custom's station primed for my appearance. It took me less
than half an hour on a Sunday afternoon to clear customs.

Glider Crash - Minden? Mitch Soaring 141 September 13th 06 07:31 PM
Refinish a Glider in Europe Jim Culp Soaring 4 November 19th 05 08:21 PM
Glider for sale USA & Canada [email protected] Soaring 1 August 15th 03 04:28 PM
Importing a glider Gus Rasch Soaring 7 August 13th 03 10:34 PM
Announce/USA: FAA Glider Flying Handbook / Bob Wander SoarBooks Soaring 0 August 11th 03 03:55 PM