OT - Plasma TV question

Old February 25th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

I'm considering installing a big-screen plasma (or LCD) TV in our
meeting room at the inn, for use during presentations, etc.

An alternative (and, to me, more important) use of this equipment would
be as "God's Own Flight Simulator" for visiting pilots and their
families to use. I think it would be way cool to have a wall-sized
flight simulator display available for our guests, and it would be a
great way to hook kids of all ages on aviation in general. (Most of
our guests are not pilots, despite the aviation theme...)

It would also be cool to have "movie nights" at the inn, showing
classic aviation movies. 'Top Gun' on a 60 inch plasma TV would be a
great draw!

Sadly, I haven't kept up with this technology, and I notice there are
several competing systems. Also, I'm starting to see the long-awaited
convergence between computers and TV, with Dell offering flat panel
"displays" that look just like TVs.

Is anyone on the 'group an expert with this stuff? Anyone already
own one? Can anyone recommend (or steer me clear from) any brands?
Are all plasma TVs usable as computer monitors, too?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 25th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com

Is anyone on the 'group an expert with this stuff? Anyone already
own one? Can anyone recommend (or steer me clear from) any brands?
Are all plasma TVs usable as computer monitors, too?

I'm not an expert, but I have done a bit of research on this for my own
entertainment system.

I have a Sanyo LCD projector that's served me well and I have a pair of
Toshiba Hi-Def displays that I'd buy again, but I don't know any particular
brands to stay away from.

Most modern displays will accept HDMI, composite, S-video and HD component
(Y, Pb, Pr) inputs along with the traditional F-type antenna connector.
Some even accept VGA input, but don't expect it.

You should be able to find a VGA-to-HDMI adapter (or even a single cable
that does the conversion like the one I found) at your local electronics
store. You'll probably need this to display your PC's output on the
display. I'd stay away from VGA-to-S-video or VGA-to-composite adapters as
the quality of the image will suffer greatly.

Another note: If you're planning to allow customers to use it, you'll want
(or, should I say, your customers will certainly appreciate) a cable long
enough to reach the conference table. You might consider a video input
switch to allow switching between your PC and the cable running to the
table.

Another consideration is to ensure you have DVD playback software on the PC.
I know you talked about movie nights, but using the PC as your DVD player
can cut down the "component clutter" a bit.

Depending on your room's layout and construction, a ceiling-mounted
projector can be very cost competitive.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old February 26th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John T" wrote

I'm not an expert, but I have done a bit of research on this for my own
entertainment system.

I have a Sanyo LCD projector that's served me well and I have a pair of
Toshiba Hi-Def displays that I'd buy again, but I don't know any

particular
brands to stay away from.

I would go with a projector, also, but would use a DLP (digital light
processor) driven projector.

You want at least 2000 contrast, and 2500 lumens, I would think.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 26th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

"John T" wrote

I'm not an expert, but I have done a bit of research on this for my own
entertainment system.

I have a Sanyo LCD projector that's served me well and I have a pair of
Toshiba Hi-Def displays that I'd buy again, but I don't know any

particular

brands to stay away from.

I would go with a projector, also, but would use a DLP (digital light
processor) driven projector.

You want at least 2000 contrast, and 2500 lumens, I would think.

Yes, and many projectors don't do well with normal ambient light levels
during the daytime. And the projectors that do handle this well, tend
to eat those $200 light bulbs are a high rate. Unless this will be in
an area that Jay can keep a little dark, I'd shy away from a projector.
They simply generate the light levels required for daytime use in a
room with unshaded windows.

Matt
Old February 26th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes, and many projectors don't do well with normal ambient light levels
during the daytime. And the projectors that do handle this well, tend
to eat those $200 light bulbs are a high rate. Unless this will be in
an area that Jay can keep a little dark, I'd shy away from a projector.
They simply generate the light levels required for daytime use in a
room with unshaded windows.

Well, this is inside a windowless meeting room -- so keeping light out
is a simple matter.

Do the projection TVs need a special screen, or can you just project
the picture on a painted white wall?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 26th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Yes, and many projectors don't do well with normal ambient light levels
during the daytime. And the projectors that do handle this well, tend
to eat those $200 light bulbs are a high rate. Unless this will be in
an area that Jay can keep a little dark, I'd shy away from a projector.
They simply generate the light levels required for daytime use in a
room with unshaded windows.

Well, this is inside a windowless meeting room -- so keeping light out
is a simple matter.

Sounds ideal.

Do the projection TVs need a special screen, or can you just project
the picture on a painted white wall?

They don't need a special screen, but everyone I know will strongly
suggest one. The screen really makes the display work well and they
aren't cheap either and come in a variety of colors, gain values, etc.

There are three options with a projector:

1. Use a plain white wall. This is a very poor option.

2. Use a special paint made for projectors. This is a mediocre option.

3. Use a special screen made for projectors. This is by far the best
option, but also by far the most costly. A decent screen will start at
close to a grand.

However, many reviews I've seen say if you are going to scrimp, scrimp
on the projector and not the screen. A good screen will last 20 years.
The projector will be obsolete in 3. And each dollar spent on the
screen will return much more viewing quality than an additional dollar
spent on the projector.

Matt
Old February 26th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote in message
I would go with a projector, also, but would use a DLP (digital light
processor) driven projector.

Not sure about the DLP projectors, but the normal DLP units are rather
directional in their viewing angle... They look better than LCD or plasma,
but only if you are *directly* in front of them...

Old February 26th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
Not sure about the DLP projectors, but the normal DLP units are rather
directional in their viewing angle...

Sounds like you're thinking of rear-projection systems. Viewing angle for a
front-projection system (which I think is what most people are talking about
here) is more dependent on the screen than the projector (which is actually
the issue for rear-projection too, except you don't get to pick your screen
for one of those ).

Old February 25th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
I'm considering installing a big-screen plasma (or LCD) TV in our meeting
room at the inn, for use during presentations, etc.

My folks recently moved into a new (5 story) Senior Condo building - in a
nice part of town, Woodbury.

The lobby has a sitting area with a fireplace. There's also a big
meeting/reception/dining/TV room and a separate game room, complete with
pool table - on the first floor.

The big meeting room/TV lounge has a sun room attached to it. Off the sun
room is a large wrap-around deck. It's all very, very nice.

Someone stole the 52"(?) wall mounted flat screen TV, three nights ago.

So, if you buy one ($$plasma$$) ...secure that sucker with a theft-proof
bracket, like it's a safe with $3,500 dollars in it!!!

Just a thought.

Montblack

Old March 1st 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It would also be cool to have "movie nights" at the inn, showing
classic aviation movies. 'Top Gun' on a 60 inch plasma TV would be a
great draw!

Don't forget "Island in the Sky" and "The High and the Mighty"

Kobra

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM
Winching: Steel vs. Plasma Bob Johnson Soaring 10 August 12th 03 05:41 PM