Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance?

Old January 26th 07, 02:14 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

does the allergy cause swelling? It may be a bonus :-)

check the Australian GCV info on these links, re-created from articles by Tom Spiesser and Karl & Iris Striedieck:

http://www.gliding-benalla.org/flyin...h/to_pee.xhtml
http://www.gliding-benalla.org/flyin...ssie_way.xhtml

Bagger
Old January 26th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance?

Marc, Hartley, Tony, Larry, gliderstud, Tom, Nyal:

Many thanks! I've gone from thinking I didn't have a problem to knowing
that I do, and also that I have choices for solving the problem.

Not sure which solution I'll adopt. Perhaps I'll start with the
Sporty's Travel John and do a trial on the ground to see just how much
my 5 point harness, parachute straps, zippers, and butt low position
affect my performance. If that fails, the adhesive-free Texas condoms
Tony linked to, hooked up to the old Camelbak up the trouser leg
suggested by Tom, sounds pretty good.

Guys, thanks very much for taking the time to provide pertinent and
very useful information.

-John

Old January 26th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Someone please explain to me the inner workings and psychology of
network news such that it always seems to take a posting on a simple
topic (like gap tape) and then quickly morphs it into some quite far
afield...usually involving a male body part. Strange indeed.

Old January 26th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

I'm the same as John. I'm eight years older but I've rarely needed to
pee in a glider even thought I've gone to some trouble to make sure I
can if I need to. I may be dehydrated but nobody's yet suggested that
my behaviour warrants that diagnosis. I usually fly in ground
temperatures in the high 30s and drink lots of water. Age will probably
catch up with me soon but this has been a lifetime pattern so far.

Eric Greenwell wrote:

How about after the flight? If it's still pale, and there is plenty of
it, you might be fine. Still, the same doctors tell me you might not be
aware of the loss in ability, both physical and mental, so I'd suggest
you talk to a soaring physician about it. I know you are reluctant to
give up the convenience of flying without urinating, but 6 hours (!) is
a long time between urinations, and suggests you aren't hydrated enough,
even though you feel fine.

Eric, I've never asked a doctor for his advice yet who didn't think I
needed it. I don't think John has a problem. He 'might' not be aware
of a lot of things but he's probably perfectly fit. Most physiological
functions have a wide range for 'normal' and urination is no exception.
A couple of days ago I sat for a good 6 hours in a stadium watching
three Grand Slam tennis matches and then walked home and had a cup of
coffee before I had any urge to pee.

YMMV (literally)!

GC
Old January 26th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

jcarlyle wrote:
Marc, Hartley, Tony, Larry, gliderstud, Tom, Nyal:

Many thanks! I've gone from thinking I didn't have a problem to knowing
that I do...

John! Whoa!! Not one piece of the advice you've received has any
authority whatsoever! You've lived this way for years and now you're
going to re-train a set of neuro-muscular patterns that every one of
your 'advisers' envies! Stop it!

All they've said is stuff you know already - dehydration is bad, drink
lots of water. You knew that and you do it. They pee more often than
you so they've defined YOU as abnormal. Rubbish. You and I are very
lucky men. Just smile and accept it.

Yes, a ruptured bladder is no fun but I bet neither Harley nor Tom plan
their comfort stops on long car trips on the basis of avoiding an
accident with a full bladder. The reality is they HAVE to have a
comfort stop - flying or driving or just sitting watching football -
every two or three hours. You and I don't. Count yourself lucky. I do.

Eric MIGHT have asked a doctor who said you MIGHT be dehydrated and you
MIGHT not know it. You're going to change your life on the basis of a
hearsay triple MIGHT??

Here's MY advice. Set your glider up so you CAN pee in flight and then
go on just as you are. Say to yourself, "My bladder is bigger and
stronger than other people's which is entirely consonant with more
visible aspects of my urino-genital apparatus".

Happy flying
GC

Old January 26th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Graeme Cant wrote:
jcarlyle wrote:
Marc, Hartley, Tony, Larry, gliderstud, Tom, Nyal:

Many thanks! I've gone from thinking I didn't have a problem to knowing
that I do...

John! Whoa!! Not one piece of the advice you've received has any
authority whatsoever! You've lived this way for years and now you're
going to re-train a set of neuro-muscular patterns that every one of
your 'advisers' envies! Stop it!

Graeme, all anybody is suggesting is that he consider the possibility
that he is not drinking enough. That is all. If he feels perfectly
fine at the end of these flights, then there is no need to change
anything. Otherwise, he should try drinking more. What I found,
personally, is that dehydration is rather insidious, my flying starts to
deteriorate before I have noticeable symptoms...

Marc
Old January 26th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Dehydation - is it a bogus idea?

Graeme Cant wrote:

Eric MIGHT have asked a doctor who said you MIGHT be dehydrated and you
MIGHT not know it. You're going to change your life on the basis of a
hearsay triple MIGHT??

I didn't ask any doctors about John - some of the "you" I used in my
reply to John was a generic "you". My apologies for an ambiquously
written post.

I have listened to several physicians over the years, at conventions,
contests, and talked with them face to face, about dehydration, it's
symptoms, and it's dangers. John MIGHT be very exceptional, as you
suggest, but it's such an important safety issue he should seek advice
from a knowledgeable person if he wishes to continue as is, and I
suggested he ask a soaring physician about it. They are more likely to
understand the stresses of soaring than a non-soaring physician, and
most clubs include a few, so it's easy to do.

Are you a physician? Are you knowledgeable about the effects of
dehydration on soaring pilots in general, and know John's health,
fitness, and habits enough to know he is flying safely? If not, I hope
you will seek out a physician or two and ask some questions about
dehydration, before suggesting another pilot is "just fine". And, maybe
the doctor will have some useful advice for you, too.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old January 26th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

"Graeme Cant" gcantinter@tnodedotnet wrote in message
:

jcarlyle wrote:
Marc, Hartley, Tony, Larry, gliderstud, Tom, Nyal:

Many thanks! I've gone from thinking I didn't have a problem to knowing
that I do...

John! Whoa!! Not one piece of the advice you've received has any
authority whatsoever! You've lived this way for years and now you're
going to re-train a set of neuro-muscular patterns that every one of
your 'advisers' envies! Stop it!

Actually, Graeme, you can take the advice I gave and do whatever you
want with it.

But there are others who answered him who, while they are not in the
habit of bragging about their accomplishments, are extraordinarily
authoritative... such as physician, flight surgeon, etc. I would give
whatever they say a great deal of authority.

Frankly, I don't remember a single piece of sketchy advice among all
those responding to John in this thread.

Larry Goddard

"01" USA

Old January 26th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Maciek

Have you ever tried an external catheter? You can buy it at drugstore. It's
looks like a kind of condom, byt it has a pipe at tip. It's used for
patients that cant get up from the bed and go pee. I know some pilots use
it, and they say it's comfortable.
Maciek

Old January 26th 07, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stealth Pilot

On 25 Jan 2007 19:49:14 -0800, "ContestID67"
wrote:

Someone please explain to me the inner workings and psychology of
network news such that it always seems to take a posting on a simple
topic (like gap tape) and then quickly morphs it into some quite far
afield...usually involving a male body part. Strange indeed.

loss of cognitive function with age possibly.

presenile dementia.

testosterone based ****ing matches where the abuser feels better for
having let the other guy know just how inferior he is.

frustration due to lack of activity in the area of interest.

I think that psychology students should be encouraged to read usenet
to build their clinical sensibilities.

I'm not a psych student or practitioner btw but it is fascinating to
watch some of the threads and to see how the discussions morph to
something that the posters actually want to discuss but havent the
courage to initiate.

You are not the only one who notices these things. :-)

btw I'm posting an answer to your question directly, not morphing the
discussion even further :-)
Stealth Pilot