Gordon Boettger Downwind Wave Record Attempt - Mon 02/17/2014

Old February 20th 14, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Gordon Boettger Downwind Wave Record Attempt - Mon 02/17/2014

Flight is there now for all who wish to view it. Now, if OLC would be willing to increase the "time after landing to submit the claim" so this flight could get points on the board, that would be some nice icing on the cake that is a new US Multiplace Free Distance record.

Great flight, guys!
Old February 20th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The OLC 48-hour rule is fine if you complete a closed task and get home that evening. It's ridiculous for flights like this.
Unless you have a backup logger and means to upload from a hotel on the road, the IGC file must wait until the OO in Minden gets the logger after a total drive of over 3000km. As OLC is based in Europe, using European commercial driving standards would require three and a half days of driving.
Jim
Old February 20th 14, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AJM

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:20:38 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:
The OLC 48-hour rule is fine if you complete a closed task and get home that evening. It's ridiculous for flights like this.

Unless you have a backup logger and means to upload from a hotel on the road, the IGC file must wait until the OO in Minden gets the logger after a total drive of over 3000km. As OLC is based in Europe, using European commercial driving standards would require three and a half days of driving.

Jim

To get the OLC points, you can log with a non-IGC logger that the OLC will accept (XCSoar, GlidePath, etc.). For a flight like theirs, you probably want to leave any IGC legal backup logger alone in case there was an issue with the primary.

-AM
Old February 20th 14, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:56:03 AM UTC-8, AJM wrote:
On Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:20:38 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:

The OLC 48-hour rule is fine if you complete a closed task and get home that evening. It's ridiculous for flights like this.

Unless you have a backup logger and means to upload from a hotel on the road, the IGC file must wait until the OO in Minden gets the logger after a total drive of over 3000km. As OLC is based in Europe, using European commercial driving standards would require three and a half days of driving.

Jim

To get the OLC points, you can log with a non-IGC logger that the OLC will accept (XCSoar, GlidePath, etc.). For a flight like theirs, you probably want to leave any IGC legal backup logger alone in case there was an issue with the primary.

-AM

Giving how well they were equipped for the flight, including dual transponders, I would expect they had a PDA/Tablet logging the flight which they could have uploaded on time. Heck, there are free igc loggers for iphone and android devices, so there is really no excuse not to upload on time unless you cant get anywhere with cell or wifi signal. That said, OLC team usually allows submitting with full points outside the 48 hours window if a request is made via the OLC help page. It will be pity if such a fantastic record flight will not get scored on OLC due to technicality.

Ramy
Old February 21st 14, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

JS wrote, On 2/20/2014 10:20 AM:
The OLC 48-hour rule is fine if you complete a closed task and get
home that evening. It's ridiculous for flights like this. Unless you
have a backup logger and means to upload from a hotel on the road,
the IGC file must wait until the OO in Minden gets the logger after a
total drive of over 3000km. As OLC is based in Europe, using European
commercial driving standards would require three and a half days of
driving. Jim

My glider isn't flown for records, and even it has 3 IGC loggers in it!
A 302 Vario, ClearNav flight computer, and Flarm. Surely, they had
several loggers, one of which could've been used for the OLC. There are
lots of motels with computers in the lobby, so using one of those for 5
minutes would do the trick, even if they didn't have a tablet or
laptop/netbook with them.

I'm guessing there is some other reason.

email me)
Old December 9th 16, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 7:51:43 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
At sunrise on 17 February, we are planning on launching in the Duo Discus glider from Minden at sunrise and aiming for Rapid City, SD as our goal, a distance of over 933 miles. Below is a link to the map with our position updates every 5 minutes. If you'd like to see the details of our position, you can click on the blue dots on the map to see our speed, altitude, time, and position. Please do not send text messages to the InReach as I will be extremely busy. Walt Rogers will be assisting in weather and communications with us throughout the flight. We just have to hope that the weather lines up properly for this to happen. It should be fun to watch as a lot can happen flying without a motor.

Gordon Boettger is sharing their location at the MapShare web site: https://share.delorme.com/GordonBoettger

Follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/wrogerswx

Walt's Blog: http://scriptogr.am/wrogerswx/archive

NOTE: Due to the large (70+) cc: address on Gordon's past flights, we must significantly cut back entries on that list. Please, monitor the flight either on my twitter feed @wrogerswx or my blog. Last time, Google shut down my email account late in the afternoon.

any hope of more attempts at this? would love to see him get to Rapid city! such an incredible concept.
Old December 11th 16, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Hi ND,

Walt Rogers here... Gordo and I stay in touch regarding weather patterns for his long DW wave flights. We've communicated at several point this Fall, but not lately in Nov Dec.

I know... it looks like a fantastic DW wave pattern with strong zonal 500mb flow in the Western U.S. right now. But, there's way too much moisture(looking at GFS 10-13 day forecasts), clouds and precip for a track toward SLC, Logan UT and east across WY. It's going to be that way well into mid Dec.

We'll just have to wait for a drier pattern.

Walt Rogers WX

Old December 12th 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 7:38:28 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
Hi ND,

Walt Rogers here... Gordo and I stay in touch regarding weather patterns for his long DW wave flights. We've communicated at several point this Fall, but not lately in Nov Dec.

I know... it looks like a fantastic DW wave pattern with strong zonal 500mb flow in the Western U.S. right now. But, there's way too much moisture(looking at GFS 10-13 day forecasts), clouds and precip for a track toward SLC, Logan UT and east across WY. It's going to be that way well into mid Dec..

We'll just have to wait for a drier pattern.

Walt Rogers WX

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 8:41:36 AM UTC-8, ND wrote:

any hope of more attempts at this? would love to see him get to Rapid city! such an incredible concept.

he's an inspiration. and i love the teamwork you guys get into to make it happen. i've got a free distance from elmira NY to tennessee planned, starting in wave. hopefully we can all complete our dream flights!