An Olive Branch

Old November 3rd 04, 03:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Default An Olive Branch

Now that it appears that George Bush has been re-elected with a true
majority of the popular vote (the first president to do so in 16 years), let
me be the first to extend an olive branch to those here who may be
disappointed in the results.

What has made America strong, and allowed our democracy to thrive for over
200 years, is our ability to embrace the loyal opposition on election day.
We, as pilots, may be just as divided politically as the rest of the
country, but where we differ from the common electorate is in our shared
love of aviation.

This bond, in my opinion, transcends any fleeting election disagreements,
and I, for one, will be more than happy to see all this animosity evaporate,
so that we can get back to the fun of talking about flying!

Blue skies, all!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 04:08 PM
John Kirksey

This bond, in my opinion, transcends any fleeting election disagreements,
and I, for one, will be more than happy to see all this animosity

evaporate,
so that we can get back to the fun of talking about flying!

Blue skies, all!

Agreed! Four more years of Bush, like it or love it, that's the way it is.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program, "The Daily Grind".

Now, hopefully he won't get us all killed in that time...ooops, did I say
that

John K.
Student Pilot
Past, Present, and Future

Old November 3rd 04, 05:18 PM
Cecil Chapman

Yeah,, okay. Gracefully accept the things one cannot change :0). I do want
to point out (despite the political 'clap-trap' you will hear) that the
United States is a Republic and NOT a democracy - the president (through
concerns by our founding fathers that the general populace wasn't bright
enough to make an informed vote ((they could still be right on this one
grin)) and also a concern by the less populous states that they would not
have an adequate voice ((even though more populous states get more
electors - go figure)) is determined by the members of the electoral
college, not by popular vote (which would make us a democracy).

Nothing to do about it now,,, you're right hopefully the fatherland,,, oops
I mean homeland security doesn't get any more out of hand... So, onward
and upward!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old November 3rd 04, 05:38 PM
Icebound

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
. com...
Yeah,, okay. Gracefully accept the things one cannot change :0)....
snip....

Nothing to do about it now,,, you're right hopefully... (...snip...)
...homeland security doesn't get any more out of hand... So, onward and
upward!

--

On the security front, I found it interesting that the people most likely to
be affected by terrorism (the big cities)... especially New York City, and

Old November 3rd 04, 05:45 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Jay,

!#%$ you!

Oops, sorry, it just slipped out. Must use less left rudder. :-)

W, the one who was supposed to be great at consensus building and bringing
us all together, but who managed to polarize us more than ever, gets a
second chance it would seem. I'm willing to listen, but I suspect he will
now feel that he has a mandate to ram a lot of Christian Right crap down our
throats. Just my expectation. I will reserve final judgement while I wait
to see some sign of compromise on his part.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old November 3rd 04, 05:59 PM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:
Now that it appears that George Bush has been re-elected with a true
majority of the popular vote (the first president to do so in 16 years),

Jimmuh Carter was the last one to get more than 50%.
Old November 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Newps" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

Now that it appears that George Bush has been re-elected with a true
majority of the popular vote (the first president to do so in 16 years),

Jimmuh Carter was the last one to get more than 50%.

George H. W. Bush received 53.4% of the popular vote in 1988. Jimmy Carter
received 50.1% of the popular vote in 1976.

Old November 3rd 04, 06:26 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:38:11 -0500, "Icebound"
wrote:

On the security front, I found it interesting that the people most likely to
be affected by terrorism (the big cities)... especially New York City, and
in spite of Guiliani's. popularity... still voted overwhelmingly AGAINST
the incumbent???? (like 70%plus ... 80% in the case of The Bronx)

I saw an interesting political tidbit the other day, it stated that
Bush supporters apparently did not believe the conclusions of the 9/11
Commission. Perhaps the folks in the Bronx did?

Corky Scott
Old November 3rd 04, 06:35 PM
Peter Duniho

"Icebound" wrote in message
On the security front, I found it interesting that the people most likely
to be affected by terrorism (the big cities)... especially New York
City, and in spite of Guiliani's. popularity... still voted
overwhelmingly AGAINST the incumbent???? (like 70%plus ... 80% in the
case of The Bronx)

That's because, as cities most likely to be affected by terrorism (and in
the case of NYC, to *have* been most affected by terrorism), the populace
actually understands the real risk versus benefit issues, and see how they
are a) not really much safer than they were before, b) not really in all
that much danger in the first place, and c) subject to additional
restrictions and scrutiny that are unwarranted.

The "selling fear to the voters" works best on people far enough removed
from the situation to not be able to sift fact from fiction.

Another factor is the move of the Republican party from being true
conservatives (which they used to be) to being basically front man for the
evangelical or fundamentilist Christians. Again, this demographic group is
not well-suited to high-density urban areas where there's a great amount of
diversity and open-mindedness.

Pete

Old November 3rd 04, 06:39 PM
Peter Duniho

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
Another factor is the move of the Republican party from being true
conservatives (which they used to be) to being basically front man for the
evangelical or fundamentilist Christians.

And yes, I know that's "fundamentalist". How embarassing...