accident in San Antonio, TX

Old June 16th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default accident in San Antonio, TX

I just heard, through a friend, that there was a glider accident
reported in a San Antonio, TX paper. Maybe at the Boerne field?
Something about a wing coming off on tow. Anybody have any
information.

Tom Dixon
Idaho

Old June 16th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wayne Paul wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I just heard, through a friend, that there was a glider accident
reported in a San Antonio, TX paper. Maybe at the Boerne field?
Something about a wing coming off on tow. Anybody have any
information.

Tom Dixon
Idaho

Tom,

A Google search found the following: "Pilot hospitalized after glider
accident in Medina County, 06/09/06" Howeverf, the link to the video
archive is no longer available.

Wayne

From the FAA Preliminary reports:

** Report created 6/16/2006 Record 11
**

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 9FM Make/Model: GLID Description: GLIDER CAPRONI
VIXXOLA CALIF A
Date: 06/10/2006 Time: 0045

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Serious Mid Air: N
Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

LOCATION
City: SAN ANTONIO State: TX Country: US

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON TAKEOFF, RIGHT WING FAILED, SAN GERONIMO AIRPARK, SAN
ANTONIO, TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 1 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: METAR SAT 0053Z 14011KT 10 CLR 32/13 A2989

OTHER DATA

Departed: SAN ANTONIO, TX Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: SAN ANTONIO, TX Flt Plan: Wx
Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: SAN ANTONIO, TX (SW17) Entry date:
06/12/2006

Old June 16th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

sorry, jumped the gun this is old.

st4s03 wrote:
Here is a link:

http://www.aircraftone.com/aircraft/...1211X13572.asp

Old June 18th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Amateur-built experimental [was accident in San Antonio, TX]

As an aside, I was looking to see if the accident had made it into the
NTSB database, and came across another one had a passage that I'm
surprised someone could type with a straight face:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...16X00749&key=1

"The [pressurized turboprop-powered Lancair IV-P] amateur-built
experimental airplane was manufactured by LCIV LLC of Brasstown, North
Carolina, and was registered to and operated by Copia Leasing LLC of
Springville, Utah."

I mean, really, does "amateur-built experimental" mean anything anymore?

Marc

Old June 18th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:

...I mean, really, does "amateur-built experimental" mean anything anymore?

Answer 1 Yes. He really did build it.
But that doesn't mean that the owner-builder wants to expose himself and
his family to penury through litigation. I think a Lancair has four
seats so I assume he intends to carry passengers. That's a worry. I
think I'd put construction and ownership into a couple of $2 companies.
Are they domiciled in Delaware?

Has the construction company already folded? That's what happens with
construction companies here - from apartment buildings to bridges and
tunnels. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen over your way too. It's
a rational reaction to lawyers (judges) extending the duty of care
further than reasonable men think is reasonable.

Answer 2: No. It's all a charade.
Bending the meaning of Experimental as far as you can is a rational
reaction to the money-devouring cloud (miasma?) of regulations and
bureaucracy surrounding the manufacture and maintenance of aircraft.
The more expensive and difficult it is to comply with normal
certification rules, the more worth while it is to undermine them with
Experimental.

Think of the tax-avoidance (evasion?) industry for a similar economic
model. If you make complying with the rules expensive enough, you make
it worth people avoiding them.

Graeme Cant

Marc

Old June 18th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Graeme Cant wrote:

snip

Think of the tax-avoidance (evasion?) industry for a similar economic
model. If you make complying with the rules expensive enough, you make
it worth people avoiding them.

Tax avoidance is now a government run industry in the US. ;-)

Shawn
Old June 18th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Back to original question.
I believe the Caproni was launched without properly connecting one of
those wingy things. If so, it should be obvious that the pin had not
been fully extended until flush by being turned with the tool provided.
A shame, I had probably my best thermal ever in that glider. Eighteen
knots confirmed with the altimeter and stopwatch.
Hopefully the pilots are OK...
Jim

Old June 19th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

st4s03 wrote:
sorry, jumped the gun this is old.

But interesting... How on earth is it possible that a glider pilot
fixes his eyes on the altimeter during the landing?

I feel reinforced in my practice to "unsetting" the altimeter on
training flights and telling my students not to use it, but to judge
from outside view.

Regards
-Gerhard
--
Gerhard Wesp / Holderenweg 2 / CH-8134 Adliswil
+41 (0)76 505 1149 / +43 699 815 987 70 (mobile)