First IFR lesson

Old December 14th 04, 12:45 AM
Gene Whitt

Default First IFR lesson

Y'All,
I am reworking my IFR instructional program for a very special student and
would appreciate any student/instructor suggestions
before submitting my entry.

Gene Whitt

Old December 14th 04, 01:08 AM
Brad Zeigler

Special? Like Corky from "Life Goes On"?

Can you give us more details?

ink.net...

Old December 14th 04, 06:04 PM
Jim Burns

Just a few ideas...

Begin the training with the end goal in mind. Not the goal of obtaining an
IFR ticket, but the goal of training a student to be a safe, smart, and
capable IFR pilot. Make sure the student knows this is the goal and that
you'll be there to help him/her for how ever long it takes. When he/she
reaches that goal, the checkride will be a piece of cake.

The first lesson should be used to establish the proper mindset and attitude
for IFR flight. Explain the different requirements of IFR vs VFR, why they
are different, and what happens if you don't follow the rules. Establish a
list of the things that you will do EVERY time he/she flys IFR. Make sure
the student understands why it is important to do these things consistently
and methodically. Normal VFR procedures need to be modified and adapted for
IFR flight. Things like a more complete IFR type pre-flight, single pilot
IFR cockpit organization, IFR weather and alternate considerations etc.

Emphasize situational awareness. You have to know where you are in order to
get to where you want to be.

Take the student's particular circumstances, personality, and capabilities
into consideration and establish personal minimums for the training flights,
this should help transfer the personal minimum idea onward after he gets his
ticket.

Turn, time, twist, throttle, talk. Have the student get used to talking to
him/herself, or act like they are talking to you, about what is happening
now and what should happen next. What are the next 3 things that need to
happen?

Jim

"Gene Whitt" wrote in message
ink.net...
Y'All,
I am reworking my IFR instructional program for a very special student and
would appreciate any student/instructor suggestions
before submitting my entry.

Gene Whitt

---

Old December 14th 04, 07:14 PM
john smith

Where am I now?
What am I doing?
What am I going to do next?
Incorporate the "flow" of moving from one side of the panel to the other
with each action.
Reference John C Eckelbars' book "IFR: A STRUCTURED APPROACH"

Old December 14th 04, 09:31 PM
Jim Burns

A very good book (despite the price), but structured more for the
performance based multi engine pilot rather than the freshly exposed IFR
student. This is not to say that a student could not take some very good
information from this book and with his instructor apply it to single engine
IFR training. This would make transitioning into a faster more complex IFR
single much easier.

I've started reading this book about 5 different times, and I find myself
loosening more and more interest as his "flight" continues.

Jim

Old December 15th 04, 11:47 PM
Gene Whitt

Thanks for the comments,
My student is a 20 year out of experience private. I have flown about 20
hours of area familiarization, pilotdage, radio procedures, planning
arrivals and depatures in a mix of weather conditions and visibility.
During this process I worked on one-finger trimmed airspeeds in all flight
speeds and configuration. I was to handle all the communications on this
training flight.except for departure and arrival.

My first IFR training flight consisted of VFR flight between two VOR about
60-miles apart without the hood. lWe spent about 45 minutes planning the
route, intersections, frequencies and radials. using two navigational radios
where we always flew the #1 from and to a VOR midpoint on the route. All
the intersections were located by use of the #2 navigational radio. All of
this was plotted on the chart.

We then went out to the aircraft and did a dry run setting all the
navigational radios to the appropriate frequencies and OBS settings as
referenced to the charts. This actual making the required changes in the
frequencies and OBS settings helped student to see where the short way to
turn took some prior planning.

We planned to fly the vertical-S in C-172 with all climbs at 90 knots and
level flight transitions to cruise speeds and back to 90 knots for descent..
All level flight eastward was done at odd-thousands plus 500 and westward at
even-thousands plus 500.

We also planned using airway intersections from both left and right sides of
flight planned route. Course reversals were made at each end. of the airway
two minutes after crossing the VORs. Flight timing was done using DME.

The VFR part of the flight went very well with the student fully occupied
without being overloaded. Due to time restraints we were able to get only
40 minutes of hood time going a second time on the route but only half way
and back. .

We have planned a second flight (cancelled by weather) where we will file an
airway flight of about an hour that takes us on a modified 'wreckedangle'
pulling our intersection turns off of VORs from both ahead and behind. This
will increase the need for changes in headings, radials and OBS settings in
the #1 nav radio as well as a few radials changed in the #2 for courses and
intersections. Decisoon as to whether IFR or VFR depends on conditions.

Gene Whitt