Our son's first flight lesson

Old June 23rd 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

Default Our son's first flight lesson

On 2007-06-22 20:31:58 -0400, "Gatt" said:

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

I've been through this with a few "anxious parents", and found the issue
important enough to include a pre-first lesson interview between
instructors and parents in your position as a suggested procedure for
every CFI taking on a student through this path.
I mention it to you only peripherally really, as I'm sure you and Mary are
"wise old owls", but as well for new CFI's out here who might be entering
this scenario someday.

Another one for my increasing archive of useful usenet posts. Thanks,
Dudley!

-Chris Gattman
Troutdale, OR

You're very welcome. If I understand correctly from another thread, you
are considering a CFI rating. Best of luck with that.
DH

Old June 23rd 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Just a word of caution Jay.

Big snip of lots of good advice

Thanks, Dudley. We're very much aware of this potential problem, and
will try to avoid it at all costs.

That's another (serious) reason I wanted him to train in a Cessna
150. It's different enough from our our plane that EVERYTHING will be
different, from the pre-flight checklist to the sight picture on final
approach.

That way whatever he's learning will be in a different context from
what he's seen in Atlas, and there can be no conflict. (At least
that's the theory.)

As far as his CFI, we have truly found a gem. He's an older
gentleman, deeply involved in flying and restoring classic aircraft
(he barnstorms with a 1929 Travel Air, and has participated in the
National Air Tour, as well as the American Barnstormers Tour), has
flown wildlife flights in the mountains in a Maule, and is genuinely
one of the nicest, most even-keeled guys I've ever met.

He's not building hours, and he doesn't need the money. He's just
doing it because he loves it -- and that's what Joe needs.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 23rd 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

On 2007-06-22 22:03:27 -0400, Jay Honeck said:

Just a word of caution Jay.

[...]

Sounds like you have the perfect combination going there Jay.
Your pick of a CFI sounds like just the right one for you.
The choice of the 150 is also in my opinion a good one as opposed to
the Cherokee.

I know you love Atlas and I have absolutely nothing against Cherokees
having taught in them many times, but for primary students,IF a choice
of a tricycle gear airplane is an option, I have always leaned heavily
toward steering people into the small Cessna's for initial training .
I have always liked the control setup on the Cessna's as opposed to the
Cherokees strictly when talking primary dual. I've found over time (a
lot of time really :-) that time spent in the control sensitive/ wind
sensitive 150's and 152's in the beginning has paid big dividends down
the line for students who learn in these airplanes, THEN transition
into the Cherokees .
Dudley Henriques

Old June 23rd 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Still, despite all this...I'm terrified.

http://www.monkeydyne.com/rmcs/dbcomic.phtml?rowid=7194

Letting -- no, encouraging -- my boy to launch himself into the
wild blue yonder is weighing heavily on my soul, and -- as much
as I desperately want him to know the freedom of flight -- this
is really scary.

Congratulations, your parenting systems are nominal.

Matt Roberds

Old June 23rd 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Carl Orton

Even better is when he asks, "Dad, what's the Mile High Club?"

"Maxwell" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Scary (impossible?) though it may seem, that little baby that I held
in my arms moments after birth (hell, I cut his umbilical cord!) is
scheduled to take his first flight lesson tomorrow afternoon...

It seems like just yesterday I was changing his diaper, or teaching
him to tie his shoes. And it was just a few days ago that I was
helping him drive a nail for the first time, and showing him how to
throw a baseball.

It's remarkable how quickly the years have flown by. He's really a
young man now, stronger, faster, and smarter than either of his
parents. And with 1500+ hours in the air in GA aircraft, he's
probably more comfortable there than any student in history.

After much searching, we've found the perfect flight instructor for
Joe -- a semi-retired pilot of classic aircraft, with many thousands
of hours doing tail-wheel mountain flying. He's one of the nicest
gentlemen we've ever met, and, along with his wife, has become a close
friend after a year of hanging out on "Movie Nights".

Still, despite all this...I'm terrified. Letting -- no, encouraging
-- my boy to launch himself into the wild blue yonder is weighing
heavily on my soul, and -- as much as I desperately want him to know
the freedom of flight -- this is really scary.

I don't think anyone will be doing much sleeping tonight...

What are you going to do the first time he says, hey Dad, can I borrow the
plane?

Old June 23rd 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Carl Orton

Jay:

Seems like it was only yesterday with my own son.

He started flying in December of his Junior year in HS - lessee, that was
Dec '04. He flew a bit, but school kept him busy. That summer (now June
'05), he solo'd. I've always seen it advised that parents / friends / ???
should not be present, just to avoid the jitters. So, I arranged it with the
flight school, and showed up after he was already in the air with his
instructor. I parked in an inconspicuous place, and brought the camera. He
never saw me until he was taxiing in after his solo. Best pictures I ever
took. ;-)

Anyway, he knocked out most of his training that summer, but still had a bit
to go - 1 more x-c, some night flight, hood time, etc. He'd squeeze in an
occasional flight now and then so that he didn't get too rusty. School took
a lot of time since he played in the marching band (very competitive here in
TX). He took his checkride about 2 wks after his graduation. Again, I showed
up while he was in the air.

He's now just finished his freshman year at Embry-Riddle / Prescott, and now
has his multi. He is so pleased that he has a rating that his dad doesn't
have....

Regarding your plane, at the time of his training, I had a '67 172H, which
I've since sold. I used rental aircraft exclusively for his training. Both
C-150 and C-172SP. I could add him onto my policy AS A STUDENT for only
$200/yr more than what I was paying. They said it would drop lower once he
had his certificate. Interesting point, though, is that while *he* would be
covered, the INSTRUCTOR would not be covered. So, if something happened
like the engine seizing and they landed in a field, insurance would pay. If
the insurance company determined that an off-field landing (or worse)
happened, and they could tie it back to something the instructor did, they
would not pay. I could have added the instructor, but it would have been
much much higher, since it would have been for "commercial purposes."

I slept fine each and every time - I, too, knew the instructor, and while he
*was* building time, he just clicked with my son.

Carl

Old June 23rd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I know you love Atlas and I have absolutely nothing against Cherokees
having taught in them many times, but for primary students,IF a choice
of a tricycle gear airplane is an option, I have always leaned heavily
toward steering people into the small Cessna's for initial training .
I have always liked the control setup on the Cessna's as opposed to the
Cherokees strictly when talking primary dual. I've found over time (a
lot of time really :-) that time spent in the control sensitive/ wind
sensitive 150's and 152's in the beginning has paid big dividends down
the line for students who learn in these airplanes, THEN transition
into the Cherokees .

Agreed. I love Atlas, but compared to a 150 its a transport-class
plane. Big, nose-heavy, and -- with a pretty short wing -- not
terribly forgiving in slow flight. It'll slide around the pattern on
rails.

A 150, on the other hand, is like a butterfly, requiring constant
input. It'll teach him a lot, methinks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 23rd 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

On 2007-06-23 09:52:40 -0400, Jay Honeck said:

[...]

You're right. It's the same reason the Air Force still uses the T38. If
you perfect your basic skills in an airplane that taxes your skills, it
forces you into a higher skill level as you progress through the
basics. The bottom line on this type of thinking is that if you can
handle the more sensitive aircraft, what comes afterward is a lower
learning curve.
It works!
If he can fly the 150 well, he'll LOVE Atlas!!
Dudley Henriques

Old June 27th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Learning the kid to fly - was - Our son's first flight lesson

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 21, 9:58 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
Scary (impossible?) though it may seem, that little baby that I held
in my arms moments after birth (hell, I cut his umbilical cord!) is
scheduled to take his first flight lesson tomorrow afternoon...

I dream of the day when one (or both) of my sons does the same.
They're 9 and 13, so I have a little time yet...

Just a comment.

Talking to my brother the other day he commented that one mistake he made
was not keeping his CFI current - his son is now flying right seat in a King
Air and the big thing holding him back is the number of hours logged. If my
brother had kept his CFI, his son would probably could have an extra 1000 or
so hours logged - a big boost in his total time (even if it would have been
dual).

Just something to think about iff'n your young'ns look like they might go
down the aviat'n path...

Oh, he started flying right seat in dad's T-18 before he was tall enough to
see over the IP - even with a booster seat he had to look out the side
windows. And his first lesson (logged) was at about age 12 or so - in a
Pitts S2- first lesson was spins, rolls, loops, inverted flight, etc.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

2nd Lesson Crash Lander Piloting 20 October 2nd 06 10:44 PM
My first lesson Marco Rispoli Aerobatics 3 May 17th 05 08:23 AM
First IFR lesson Gene Whitt Instrument Flight Rules 5 December 16th 04 12:47 AM
PEZ completes lesson one John Shelton Soaring 0 December 23rd 03 01:42 AM
fs9 lesson bug? A.J.L. Simulators 2 November 5th 03 03:23 AM