Spinner strobing as a "Bird Strike Countermeasure"

Old December 4th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

Default Spinner strobing as a "Bird Strike Countermeasure"

On Dec 3, 2:45 pm, Just go look it up! wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:52:04 -0800, Airbus wrote:
In article , says...

When observed directly under artifical light that "flickers", the most
obvious being a strobe light, but there are other types of artificial
lights that have flicker.

--

Fine - but which ones cause you to see the propellers turning in
apparent reverse? Do you frequently operate your airplane indoors?

Night, near one of those big off-amber ramp lights, run the RPM up and
down, there's a range where it will look like it's going backwards. I
thought it was kind of interesting.

It's something similar to the poor-man's "is my RPM somewhat right"
test, it'll appear stopped at (I forget what RPM now) RPM and if your
tach is somewhat near, viola.- Hide quoted text -

Been a long, long time but my rusty math skills says it would be about
3600 unless I am wrong (per wife that is my normal state). That is
the 1/2 harmonic of the rpm/flicker rate. 60 X 120 = 7200. The
phenomenon should appear at 1/2, 1/4, double rate etc intervals.

Harry K
Old December 4th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mxsmanic

writes:

And it takes two interlaced fields to make a frame, therefore US
broadcast TV standard (NTSC) is actually only 30 frames per second.

30 images, 60 frames
Old December 4th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mxsmanic

Maxwell writes:

Do you really think you see and visualize motion constantly. Perhaps you
should spend a little more time around and airport yourself. Many
propellers, especially the large diameter props found on radial engines,
will appear at times to be rotating slower, or backwards. It's a fainter
image than recorded on film, but the partnership of the human eye and brain
does not realize fluid motion.

This is completely incorrect. Human vision produces no such artifact.
Anything moving beyond a certain speed is simply a blur; it never appears to
move backwards.

Motion pictures captured on film greatly exaggerates the phenomenon.

No, motion pictures PRODUCE the phenomenon. It's an artifact of the motion
picture, not human vision.

Some of the new video equipment will seem to even stop a prop to the
extent it's distracting to the quality of the recording.

That is a function of shutter speed.

But the human visual system well do so as well, just to a much lesser extent.

No, the human visual system will not do it at all.
Old December 4th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mxsmanic

Maxwell writes:

Guess again.

It wasn't a guess.
Old December 4th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mxsmanic

Yes - I have a name writes:

My phonograph turns at either 33-1/3 or 45 RPM, which is just as relevant to
this conversation as your mention of turbofans.

At any given moment there are thousands of aircraft powered by turbofans in
flight.
Old December 4th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

The original assertion was that it was an artifact of human vision, which
is
never true.

Keep digging, and guessing. God you are stupid.

Old December 4th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

This is completely incorrect. Human vision produces no such artifact.
Anything moving beyond a certain speed is simply a blur; it never appears
move backwards.

No, motion pictures PRODUCE the phenomenon. It's an artifact of the
motion
picture, not human vision.

That is a function of shutter speed.

No, the human visual system will not do it at all.

Keep digging, you are half way to China already.

Spinner strobing as a "Bird Strike Countermeasure" Jim Logajan Piloting 259 December 13th 07 06:43 AM
Saturday 072807 in Oshkosh Pt 6 - Warbird show pix I forgot to post earlier [10/33] - "Bird Dog.jpg" yEnc (1/1) Just Plane Noise[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 31st 07 10:48 PM
"British trace missile in copter strike to Iran" Mike[_7_] Naval Aviation 8 March 10th 07 09:20 PM
Bird strike Bob Chilcoat Piloting 5 September 6th 05 07:05 AM
Bird strike Jase Vanover Piloting 16 May 17th 05 11:44 AM