news server for uk.rec.aviation.soaring

Old November 27th 10, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_2_]

Default news server for uk.rec.aviation.soaring

Does anybody know a news server (NNTP) that is hosting the
uk.rec.aviation.soaring newsgroup? I so far only found servers that host
the uk.rec.aviation group, but none for the soaring sub-newsgroup. I
know I can get to the newsgroup content through
http://uras.gliderpilto.net, but I would rather read the news group
through my usual newsreader.

Thanks,
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old November 27th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex Potter

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:27:41 +0100, Peter Scholz wrote:

Does anybody know a news server (NNTP) that is hosting the
uk.rec.aviation.soaring newsgroup? I so far only found servers that host
the uk.rec.aviation group, but none for the soaring sub-newsgroup. I
know I can get to the newsgroup content through
http://uras.gliderpilto.net, but I would rather read the news group
through my usual newsreader.

Thanks,

Thanks for pointing out the ukras group. I've asked for it to be added to
the feed at eternal-september. Whether that will produce a result, I
don't know.

--
Alex
Old November 27th 10, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 01:47:12 +0000, Alex Potter wrote:

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:27:41 +0100, Peter Scholz wrote:

Does anybody know a news server (NNTP) that is hosting the
uk.rec.aviation.soaring newsgroup? I so far only found servers that
host the uk.rec.aviation group, but none for the soaring sub-newsgroup.
I know I can get to the newsgroup content through
http://uras.gliderpilto.net, but I would rather read the news group
through my usual newsreader.

Thanks,

Thanks for pointing out the ukras group. I've asked for it to be added
to the feed at eternal-september. Whether that will produce a result, I
don't know.

AFAIK gliderpilot.net takes a forum feed from r.a.s but won't reciprocate
by generating an NNTP feed from its other forums: at least I haven't been
able to find a newsgroup corresponding to ukras.

Consequently, I won't look at ukras: web forums are so slow and clunky
compared to a decent USENET reader that its not worth the effort to read
them and, besides, forums don't have kill files.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 27th 10, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex Potter

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 03:15:50 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

[...]

Hmm. I can find neither a control message for a newsgroup
uk.rec.aviation.soaring at isc.org nor an RFD at uk.net.news.config, so I
guess it's not a properly constituted newsgroup. What a shame.

Egg on my face...

--
Alex
Old November 28th 10, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Tribe[_2_]

At 03:15 27 November 2010, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

But not being listed as a group on the major servers does have
the effect of reducing the amount of spam by a huge amount.
Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

Old November 28th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:22:02 +0000, Paul Tribe wrote:

[...]

Theres very little spam on r.a.s or, for that matter, on technical
newsgroups I use compared with the normal volume on e-mail. IMO the 'no
spam' argument is a very small swing.

The majority of the spam that I see comes through a fairly busy mailing
list and it all originates in associated web forums. Based on this, I
think ukras has simply been lucky that no black hats have (yet)
considered it a useful spam delivery channel.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 28th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex Potter

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 13:30:39 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Based on this, I
think ukras has simply been lucky that no black hats have (yet)
considered it a useful spam delivery channel.

Neither is it listed in the ISC list of newsqroups, therefore it's not a
properly constituted newsgroup, and will not be carried by any reputable
NNTP server.

--
Alex
Old November 28th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_2_]

Am 28.11.2010 14:55, Alex Potter wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 13:30:39 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Based on this, I
think ukras has simply been lucky that no black hats have (yet)
considered it a useful spam delivery channel.

Neither is it listed in the ISC list of newsqroups, therefore it's not a
properly constituted newsgroup, and will not be carried by any reputable
NNTP server.

thanks to all contributors for the explanations and insights.

So ukras seems to be just a forum not accessible by newsreaders, despite
it's name suggesting that it is a proper newsgroup.

I hope the "important" discussions will be on the ras newsgroup, as I
find the monitoring of ukras through the gliderpilot.net forum software
too timeconsuming and therefore will not be a regular guest on that forum.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

news server dead? karel Home Built 2 May 31st 06 09:53 PM
Soaring Server "soaring.aerobatics.ws" is back online John Leibacher Soaring 0 December 23rd 04 05:33 AM
The Soaring Server is dead; long live the Soaring Servers John Leibacher Soaring 3 November 1st 04 11:57 PM
Soaring Server/Worldwide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange back online John Leibacher Soaring 0 June 21st 04 05:25 PM
Soaring Server - Worldwide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange John Leibacher Soaring 0 June 19th 04 04:57 PM