Flying Turtle Restaurant - Mansfield OH

Old March 17th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric Bartsch

Default Flying Turtle Restaurant - Mansfield OH

Does anyone know what happened to the Flying Turtle Restaurant at
Mansfield OH (MFD)? I flew past there a couple of weeks ago and the
ATIS stated that it was closed. At the time, I assumed this was
temporary, but I was thinking of heading there for lunch tomorrow and
I called & found the number was disconnected.

Thanks,
Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html

Old March 18th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R

"Eric Bartsch" wrote in message ...
Does anyone know what happened to the Flying Turtle Restaurant at
Mansfield OH (MFD)? I flew past there a couple of weeks ago and the
ATIS stated that it was closed. At the time, I assumed this was
temporary, but I was thinking of heading there for lunch tomorrow and
I called & found the number was disconnected.

Thanks,
Eric Bartsch

You have an ATIS that informs you that the local restaurant it closed?

Interesting!

David

Old March 18th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric Bartsch

You have an ATIS that informs you that the local restaurant it closed?

Interesting!

David

That's exactly what I thought when I tuned in the MFD ATIS a couple of
weeks ago. They have had quite a bit of restaurant traffic on the
weekends in the past, so I guess the tower thought they might as well
add it in the remarks section. I expect that if it reopens, they
should list the daily special right after the altimeter setting...

Old March 18th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cary

On Mar 17, 3:24 pm, "Eric Bartsch" wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to the Flying Turtle Restaurant at
Mansfield OH (MFD)? I flew past there a couple of weeks ago and the
ATIS stated that it was closed. At the time, I assumed this was
temporary, but I was thinking of heading there for lunch tomorrow and
I called & found the number was disconnected.

Thanks,
Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html

This is bad news. Mansfield is my midway stop for fuel (for me and the
plane) between Minneapolis and Rhode Island.

Cary Mariash
N336TS DA42
CP-ASMEL/IA

Old March 18th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric Bartsch

This is bad news. Mansfield is my midway stop for fuel (for me and the
plane) between Minneapolis and Rhode Island.

Cary Mariash
N336TS DA42
CP-ASMEL/IA

Just heard today that Vince's restaurant at Muncie, IN (MIE) is also
closed now. At least the burger place at Urbana, OH was still open
today (and really busy) when I stopped in for lunch. Its a bad sign
when these places are all closing. I'm hoping that Sandusky is still
in business.

Old March 18th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Post

In article . com,
Eric Bartsch wrote:

Just heard today that Vince's restaurant at Muncie, IN (MIE) is also
closed now.

Vince's closed right after the New Year but a new restaurant opened
there a few weeks ago. Right now they don't have Sunday hours, but
I've read they may change that once they get on their feet. I haven't
been there yet. Hope the food is as good as Vince's.

--
Scott Post
Old March 18th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Vince's closed right after the New Year but a new restaurant opened
there a few weeks ago. Right now they don't have Sunday hours

Isn't that amazing? And it's all-to common with airport restaurants,
too.

I mean, think about it -- which two days of the week MUST a business
that caters to fly-in pilots be open? Do they REALLY think that
being closed fully half of the available flying weekend is a recipe
for success? Jeebus, these people who open (soon-to-fail) airport
restaurants need to have a business plan in hand BEFORE they try
running a business.

An example: Just today (Sunday) we flew to Waterloo, Iowa, for brunch
at the (relatively new) "Livingston's" in-terminal restaurant. We've
eaten there before, and it's always been good -- but today we arrived
and they were closed -- fully two hours before the posted closing
time!

We could hear them in there clattering dishes and laughing -- but we
were left to borrow a courtesy car and go elsewhere. With that kind
of customer "service" I expect they will follow the last five on-
airport restaurants down the toilet in Waterloo... We certainly
won't be back.

And people wonder why so many airport businesses fail...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 18th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jackson

On 2007-03-18, Jay Honeck wrote:
but today we arrived
and they were closed -- fully two hours before the posted closing
time!

A pasta place I used to frequent for dinner in college used to complain
there wasn't enough dinner traffic. More than once in their final few
months of business I found them closed well before closing.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old March 18th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article . com,
"Eric Bartsch" wrote:

Just heard today that Vince's restaurant at Muncie, IN (MIE) is also
closed now.

It is still open, just under another name and new managment. I was there
two weeks ago.
Old March 18th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Vince's closed right after the New Year but a new restaurant opened
there a few weeks ago. Right now they don't have Sunday hours

Isn't that amazing? And it's all-to common with airport restaurants,
too.

I mean, think about it -- which two days of the week MUST a business
that caters to fly-in pilots be open? Do they REALLY think that
being closed fully half of the available flying weekend is a recipe
for success? Jeebus, these people who open (soon-to-fail) airport
restaurants need to have a business plan in hand BEFORE they try
running a business.

"Vince's" has been there for over 25 years under various names and
management. It reallly has a good location, being central to Toledo,
Columbus, Cincinnati and Indiannapolis.
It draws quite a bit of student business from Ball State. Many of the
Greeks can be found there before a formal and for off campus family
meetings.