Excellent TV Piece on GA

Old November 26th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Excellent TV Piece on GA

Cool idea. We've thought of it before, but haven't found an
affordable advertising venue that "hits" the right crowd.

The flying magazines. In fact, if those prices are even half-true and
with the dollar exchange rate being what it is, get together with the
nearest Part 141 school, build a package for overseas pilots and
advertise in the British and German magazines. Hour building, basic
training and advanced training for ME, commercial, instructor or
instrument ratings are all of interest.

We had a French guy stay with us last summer for a month, while he
finished up his Private with a local CFI. It worked out well for all
concerned.

Trouble is, I doubt anyone would want to train here in the winter,
which is the only time we're not full. As much as I'd love to do
this, there's little sense in my paying to enhance our business during
the nice weather, cuz you can't fuller than full.

I've got it! We need student pilots from, say, Siberia to come here
to train in the winter, when we're slow and we've got lots of
available suites. They will think the weather in Iowa is quite tame,
and we'll have some interesting people show up at Movie Night!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 26th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune

On Nov 25, 2:20 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 10:50 am, Jay Honeck wrote:

I doubt these are the only reasons. The return on investment is what
ultimately matters and is perceived differently by different people
when it comes to investing $6000. Just as I don't have any
particularly strong interest in learning to rock climb, I can imagine
there are those who view flying with a similar apathy. In the end it
would be hard to make the case that the PPL has a greater practical
utility than say, learning to ride a horse. PPL flying is a niche
hobby, and its hard to imagine that would change anytime soon.

Hmmm. I've spent the last 13 years flying my family from coast to
coast, Canada to Mexico, on vacations ranging from overnight to two
weeks in duration. I've flown hundreds of times in support of my
business(es) during that time as well.

Leaving from Iowa City I can be in Chicago for brunch, St Louis for

Madoon, the boycott is broken, next thing he'll be here for Cubs
games.

dinner, and home by the 10 o'clock news. Do *that* on a horse!

Although personal flying will never be as rock-solid reliable as a
Greyhound bus (due primarily to my own budget and equipment
limitations), to say that the PPL has little practical value is
inaccurate.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunate that the GA economic powerhouse has crippled the Chicago
economy, though...
Old November 27th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Nov 26, 10:53 am, Skylune wrote:

Unfortunate that the GA economic powerhouse has crippled the Chicago
economy, though...

Now here's a blast from the past.. Care to explain your theory?

Old November 27th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Unfortunate that the GA economic powerhouse has crippled the Chicago
economy, though...

Now here's a blast from the past.. Care to explain your theory?

He's sarcastically referring to our moratorium on visiting Chicago
since King Daley ripped up Meigs Field. We haven't been back since
-- we won't go back till Daley is out of office.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 27th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

He's sarcastically referring to our moratorium on visiting Chicago
since King Daley ripped up Meigs Field. We haven't been back since
-- we won't go back till Daley is out of office.

Does he have an heir to inherit his office?
Old November 27th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in

Keep in mind that business and private expenditures are orders of
magnitude apart. General aviation that might be booming for business
could still be hopelessly beyond the reach of pilots flying for
leisure. That's why you don't see too many people flying Learjets for
leisure, and you don't see too many CEOs flying in Piper Cubs or
ultralights.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

People who have the means don't generally fly airplanes like Learjets and
Barons for leisure because they are not particularly fun airplanes to fly if
what you're after is the sheer joy of flying.

Sure, they're all fun to fly initially when you're learning a new aircraft,
and larger, faster, and more complex is always a bonus. But after the
honeymoon is over all the pilots I know would chose the smaller, simpler
aircraft to fly for fun every time.

I'm sure you're suprised to learn this and I'm sure it doesn't fit into what
you'd suppose to be true. That doesn't make it any less true however.

BDS

Old November 27th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

BDS wrote:
[...]

Yep I know to CEOs here locally one with a Cub and one with a Luscombe who,
if they desired, afford to fly just about anything they wanted.

Old November 27th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
BDS wrote:
[...]

OTOH, there's the warbird addiction...