30 Years Since Edmund Fitgerald

Old November 19th 05, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 30 Years Since Edmund Fitgerald

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

It was November of '75 when the SS Edmund Fitzgerald went down
without a word, taking 29 sailors to the bottom of Lake Superior.

And inspired one of the greatest "make me late for work songs" ever.
Whenever Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" comes
on the radio I have to listen to it all, even if it causes me to be
late for work.

Never met anyone who *didn't* love that song--though this thread will no
doubt troll up an example.

That lonesome, haunting guitar hook and those tragic lyrics make it one
of the all time greats.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 19th 05, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

That still gives me goose bumps.

Old November 19th 05, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dave wrote:

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy.

Some of the words don't look right. Where did you find this?

Matt
Old November 19th 05, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It must be a Yankee thing

Although I was only 5 in 1975, and I know about the sinking, I have never
heard or heard of this song. I consider myself well rounded in musical
taste. I like everything from Classical to Hard Rock and from all decades.
After all the talk about it, I illegally downloaded it and listened,
thinking surely I know this song, I just don't remember it. Well, no.
Never heard it before and doubt I will again.

Sad true story, but my love of Gordon Lightfoot must be tempered with youth

jf

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old November 19th 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy.

Some of the words don't look right. Where did you find this?

They're right. I listen to that song just about every other morning
while working out with my son (we listen to his crap, er, music, every
other day, and I get my music on the in-between days), and it never
fails to give me the shivers.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 19th 05, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dave Stadt" wrote

8 to 10 feet? Hardeharhar. A mere ripple upon which to play my friend.

No doubt; that is when sailing is just starting to get really fun!

The lune is a stinkpotter. End of story.

Old November 19th 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jeff wrote:
It must be a Yankee thing

Although I was only 5 in 1975, and I know about the sinking, I have never
heard or heard of this song.

The song was on the pop music charts for several weeks. It played regularly at
that time in Atlanta, which is not exactly a Yankee city. As with any popular
song, it would play occasionally as an "oldie" in Atlanta and Knoxville during
the late 70s and early 80s. I believe that I've heard it on the air only once
since 1984.

George Patterson
If a tank is out of ammunition, what you have is a sixty ton portable
radio.
Old November 19th 05, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy.

Some of the words don't look right. Where did you find this?

They're right. I listen to that song just about every other morning
while working out with my son (we listen to his crap, er, music, every
other day, and I get my music on the in-between days), and it never
fails to give me the shivers.

If you say so, but I was pretty sure that the following should have
said: "That good ship and crew", rather than "That good ship and true."

I don't get the meaning of good ship and true. Is this a nautical term
of some sort?

Matt

With a load of iron ore - 26,000 tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early
Old November 19th 05, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jeff" wrote in message

It must be a Yankee thing

What definition of "Yankee" are you using?