Flight Following

Old May 24th 05, 01:56 PM
Greg Farris

In article kYEke.5$SV3.2@trnddc03, says...

Me: 5236

wait - wait - wait

LOL - that's about it!

G Faris

Old May 24th 05, 02:36 PM
Paul kgyy

I've never been actually denied service, but Indy Approach never
responded to calls once when I flew through there.

Old May 24th 05, 04:48 PM
Steve Foley

Same thing happened to me with New York. It was a clear night, so I went up
and over them.
oups.com...

Old May 24th 05, 05:38 PM
Ross Richardson

Steve Foley wrote:

Same thing happened to me with New York. It was a clear night, so I went up
and over them.
"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've never been actually denied service, but Indy Approach never
responded to calls once when I flew through there.

I had it denied one in a low use area of Arkansas. (No jokes, please). I
continued to listen until a shift change and new voice. I went back and
made another request and got it.

--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old May 24th 05, 11:55 PM
Mike W.

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've never been actually denied service, but Indy Approach never
responded to calls once when I flew through there.

Been through there twice in a 150, they were real cool about it. From Ohio
to Illinois via Brickyard, they vectored me through the approaching traffic.
Pretty neat to see a 737 at your altitude out the left window.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old May 24th 05, 07:13 PM
Jim Fisher

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
If you ever departed a class B or class C airport VFR, you had flight
following.

I start like this:

Me: Bradley Approach - N6480R request.

Bradley: N6480R - go ahead.

Me: Bradley Approacy - Cherokee 6480R is 5 miles south of Spencer, VFR to
Atlantic City at two thousand, climbing to four thousand five hundred.

You forgot to axe for flight following. That's why you had to
"wait-wait-wait."

--
Jim Fisher

Old May 24th 05, 05:56 PM
Bob Gardner

AIM 4-1-16. Shame on your instructor for not covering this during your
training.

Bob Gardner

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone explain to a new pilot (who's never used it!) what flight
following is all about and how to actually get it? Thanks!

Old May 24th 05, 07:29 PM
Peter Duniho

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone explain to a new pilot (who's never used it!) what flight
following is all about and how to actually get it? Thanks!

When I was doing my primary training, my instructor briefly discussed VFR
flight following, but never gave me details about how to figure out what
frequency to use.

I note that none of the responses provide this information either.

Before you can ask someone for VFR FF, and then use VFR FF, you need to know
who to ask and how to contact them. The "who" is usually relatively simple:
it will be the radar facility in that area. Look in the A/FD under the
"communications" section, for a center or approach/departure control
frequency, and that's who you contact. In some cases (especially in or near
Class B airspace) the frequencies will be divided according to geography
(often a radial). Some charts show these as well, but you can always figure
out from the A/FD what the right frequency is.

Especially in remote areas, there may not be a radar facility listed in the
A/FD, in which case things get a little more difficult. In that case,
usually you won't be able to contact a radar facility anyway, at least not
until you're also high enough to contact the FSS. And of course, the FSS is
always a good resource for all manner of information, including finding out
who to contact for VFR FF (assuming it's available where you are).

Pete

Old May 25th 05, 01:04 AM
John Galban

Peter Duniho wrote:
snip
Especially in remote areas, there may not be a radar facility listed in the
A/FD, in which case things get a little more difficult. In that case,
usually you won't be able to contact a radar facility anyway, at least not
until you're also high enough to contact the FSS. And of course, the FSS is
always a good resource for all manner of information, including finding out
who to contact for VFR FF (assuming it's available where you are).

Good info. One other good source that many people don't realize is
that Center and FSS freq. info for your current geographical area is
included on Jepp data bases in their handheld GPS. On Garmins (at
least the ones I've used) hit "nearest", then the "menu" key, and
you'll get an entry called "nearest frequencies". That will give you
both FSS and Center frequencies for wherever you happen to be at the
moment. Works great!

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 24th 05, 08:06 PM
Guillermo

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone explain to a new pilot (who's never used it!) what flight
following is all about and how to actually get it? Thanks!

Something that I wasnt sure about is what to do when I was s student pilot
when you are handed to the next controller.
I had already said to the first controller my airplane type, location,
altitude and destination, and gotten a squawk code.

If they hand you to the next one:
--- cessna XXXGT, contact atlanta approach 121.0

you can simply acknowledge, tune 121.0, and just say:
--- Atlanta approach, cessna XXXGT with you, level at 5500.

Now if the controller says:
---cessna XXXGT, radar service terminated, you can try atlanta approach
121.0, squawk VFR

Then you have to squawk 1200, and say the whole story to the next controller
again, to see if he wants to give you flight following.

guillermo