Is Zero Indicated Airspeed Possible?

Old August 16th 08, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default Is Zero Indicated Airspeed Possible?

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:50:51 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

There was a 727 that crashed because of iced over pitot tubes.

I remember reading about that... Didn't the cockpit recorder reveal the
crew going crazy trying to figure out what was going on?

--
Dallas
Old August 16th 08, 10:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dallas wrote in news:1mmc3o4ndvhyo
:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:50:51 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

There was a 727 that crashed because of iced over pitot tubes.

I remember reading about that... Didn't the cockpit recorder reveal the
crew going crazy trying to figure out what was going on?

Well, it was all over very quickly IIRC. I think the flight was a test
flight after some heavy maintenance. The airspeed went to max wehn they
iced over during the climb and the handling pilot pulled and stalled the
airplane. The disorientation would have built rapidly.

Bertie
Old August 16th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I have done zero indicated airspeed routinely while flying acro- the top
of a hammerhead, tail slides, and lomcevaks come to mind.

Even a good wingover can get you near zero...

Plus you can be at 90 degrees of bank and ball in the center coordinated.

So, what's the point?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 17th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 15, 12:00*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
There is the question. I'm in a mood today. Have you flown your
favorite aircraft with zero or near zero indicated airspeed? I'm
talking about controlled flight and predictable outcomes.
Let the games begin. I'm so freaking tired of beach volleyball and the
bull**** olympics that is full of professionals. Whoooooppppss I
digress
Zero IAS. Why is it important to pilots? And I'm talking about in
flight, not sitting on the ramp with the engine off.

Sure. The Decathlon flys great with zero IAS.

-Robert
Old August 27th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article
,
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

There is the question. I'm in a mood today. Have you flown your
favorite aircraft with zero or near zero indicated airspeed? I'm
talking about controlled flight and predictable outcomes.
Let the games begin. I'm so freaking tired of beach volleyball and the
bull**** olympics that is full of professionals. Whoooooppppss I
digress
Zero IAS. Why is it important to pilots? And I'm talking about in
flight, not sitting on the ramp with the engine off.

In Kelly Johnson's autobiography, he wrote of flying with Howard Hughes
during an accepance flight of TWA's first Constellation. Hughes was in
the left seat, Johnson in the right. Hughes asked Johnson to demonstrate
a power on stall. Johnson did took the aircraft into the buffet and
recovered.
Hughes stated that what Johnson had done was not a stall and took
control of the aircraft. With the throttles full forward, Hughes pulled
the nose up. As the aircraft shuddered and started to fall off, Johnson
took control and recovered to level flight. Hughes, visibly shaken, sat
silently on the remainder of the flight back to the airport.

Johnson stated that it was the first and only time he had ever seen the
airspeed indicator on a commercial aircraft indicate zero.

Turbulence and airspeed Jay Honeck Piloting 40 February 14th 06 02:01 AM
Johnson Airspeed Larry Restoration 1 December 28th 04 06:53 AM
F-16 airspeed Brad Piloting 12 July 7th 04 05:36 AM
Tow plane airspeed vs. glider being towed airspeed? MHende6388 Soaring 2 September 28th 03 09:35 AM